You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Make or break - 2nd hand

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Oppo in this hand is a very competant reg at these levels & I think he plays a little higher too. He generally only gets involved when he's got something so seeing this raise OOP sets off alarm bells straight away.

Staright forward fold on the flop here, yeah? What about pre? Even with my perception of oppo folding AJ OTB pre to a 3b is just too nitty, right?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
BigBudd_ Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.72
------ Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.72
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • J

magic51 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £1.85
silentbob Raise  £0.20 £0.30 £4.24
BigBudd_ Fold     
------ Raise  £0.80 £1.10 £2.92
magic51 Fold     
silentbob Call  £0.64 £1.74 £3.60
Flop

• Q
  • K

------ Bet  £1.20 £2.94 £1.72
silentbob ???    

Comments

• edited October 2012
    IMO id fold. They say chasing gutshots are to expensive, Unless you think ace high is good at this point...

Pre flop after iv raised pre im probably calling RR to see a flop. Altho doing this to many times is going to cost you in long run
  • edited October 2012
    Iso pre is good, fold to the 3bet IMO without reads, i'd fold the flop most of the time occasionally when i'm tilted i'll continue past the flop!
  • edited October 2012
    i fold to a 3bet against a reg at these levels aj plays pretty badly post flop in a 3bet pot. Hit you ace your worried hit your jack your worried. you only really comfortable with 2 pair or straight which isn't very likely makes this a fold pre for me
  • edited October 2012
    Beaneh summed it up perfect. Iso is good but fold to the 3bet.

If you do call pre, fold the flop as quick as possible.
  • edited October 2012
    Easy fold pre

Fold flop
  • edited October 2012
    Snap fold to the 3b pre!
  • edited October 2012
    OK point taken about the fold pre & I can see why in hindsight. 

That said though is this purely because the oppo is a reg (whom I deem very competent at this level) or in general (& I know that's a very broad term in poker!) is this pretty much always a fold here?

I mainly ask this cos I've got the button & surely long term raising the button & folding to 3b is gonna be very exploitable for anyone remotely paying attention.
  • edited October 2012
    For the most part, forget thinking people will try to exploit you at 4NL, it just won't happen often enough.

When he 3bets to 80p, what hand do you want him to have, AT, KQ? I doubt he 3bets either. Reg or not, when they 3bet, you're gonna be up against a bigger ace or JJ+ and drawing to 3 outs (if you're lucky) SO often.

4NL is all about betting for value relentlessly, but when you call a 3bet here, if it's A high, you can't be that happen, if it's J-high you can't be that happen. You're only really happy flopping 2prs and straights which aint gonna happen often.

Personally I don't like calling 3bets with AJo, because so often you're gonna do what you did on the flop and throw away 20xBB... only need to do that 5 times before you've lost a BI