You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Make or break - 1st hand

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Right now I'm seriously at the stage where I really don't know if I'm ever gonna be remotely decent enough to play this game & am seriously considering packing it in altogether.

That leads me to here, to see if I'm doing much wrong or not.

So to this hand. I'm multi tabling, mainly to try & even out the varience so I'm totally readless here. Not a hand I'd voluntarily play but seeing as I'm in for free it's not a bad flop. Obviously there's a chance I'm up against a better flush draw but I also know that at these lower levels there's an awful lot of players that get carried away with TP type hands.

Obviously now I've bet the river I've got to call right? Would anyone ever think about a c/c on the river?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
irene1957 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.23
silentbob Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.55
 Your hole cards

captainCab Fold     
BROWNIEGIR Fold     
mackem247 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £4.83
------Call  £0.04 £0.14 £2.73
irene1957 Call  £0.02 £0.16 £2.21
silentbob Check     
Flop

• Q

irene1957 Bet  £0.04 £0.20 £2.17
silentbob Call  £0.04 £0.24 £4.51
mackem247 Call  £0.04 £0.28 £4.79
------Raise  £0.08 £0.36 £2.65
irene1957 Call  £0.04 £0.40 £2.13
silentbob Call  £0.04 £0.44 £4.47
mackem247 Call  £0.04 £0.48 £4.75
Turn

irene1957 Check     
silentbob Bet  £0.24 £0.72 £4.23
mackem247 Fold     
------ Raise  £0.48 £1.20 £2.17
irene1957 Fold     
silentbob Call  £0.24 £1.44 £3.99
River

silentbob Bet  £1.08 £2.52 £2.91
------All-in  £2.17 £4.69 £0.00

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I just check the turn tbh.

When he only has a pot-sized bet behind, I just jam, so many sets, 2prs, 1prs, and straights that will call. As played call.
  • edited October 2012
    you never HAVE to do anything

you however are getting a very good price on the river and have a flush..

more importantly why did you bet the turn? what do you hope to achieve?
  • edited October 2012
    Just asking: If his gonna call a river bet/shove if u hit your flush then would you not bet turn to get pot bigger for when you do hit? Not saying its right, just wondering :D
  • edited October 2012
    My main reason for betting the turn is to try & build the pot for the times that I do hit my flush. If I check here & villain checks behind then it's likely that I won't get much more (if anything) if I do hit my flush on the river (also assuming he doesn't have much).

I've always thought it was probably better to bet your draws more often than not but maybe that's somewhere I'm going wrong.
  • edited October 2012
    Yeah thats was my question to beanh+lamb, I would bet turn as well hoping to get a call for me to hit my flush on river, if i miss i check for showdown value :D
  • edited October 2012
    I know it's a bit of a sweeping statement but at this level people will generally pay you off very light, so I'd say it's more +EV to just check/call the turn, then v-bet the river when you hit, c/f when you don't.

And if as you say, he's gonna call a river bet/shove then why bother wasting money on the times you miss. Save your moniez for when you miss, and when you make the flush he's probably happy to put most/all of his stack in on the river if he has anything.

@ OP - You've bet the turn because you want to build the pot and get more when you make your flush, then when you hit your flush and he puts all his money in, you don't like it?

Just my opinion, and there's much better players than me, but I do ok at the micro stakes.
  • edited October 2012
    Check turn

C/r river

As played call
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Make or break - 1st hand:
    I know it's a bit of a sweeping statement but at this level people will generally pay you off very light, so I'd say it's more +EV to just check/call the turn, then v-bet the river when you hit, c/f when you don't. And if as you say, he's gonna call a river bet/shove then why bother wasting money on the times you miss. Save your moniez for when you miss, and when you make the flush he's probably happy to put most/all of his stack in on the river if he has anything. @ OP - You've bet the turn because you want to build the pot and get more when you make your flush, then when you hit your flush and he puts all his money in, you don't like it? Just my opinion, and there's much better players than me, but I do ok at the micro stakes.
    Posted by Lambert180
    It's not that I don't like it, just more that I've only a low flush. I think this is more of a query to see if I'm getting too carried away with a low flush more than anything as the times I'm against a bigger flush it's gonna cost a bit.

Aside from this hand I can't help thinking that my thinking during games is flawed somewhere cos I seem to lose big pots but only win the small ones
  • edited October 2012

As played, call imo... people aren't normally raising draws at 2/4p in my experience, and you are getting a cracking price on your weak flush.