You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Disconnected player ettiquette?

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
OK, so I was just playing a HU sng hyper and my opponent was obviously having connection issues.

He got disconnected whilst about 200 chips up on me, I folded for a few hands and tanked every hand to give him chance to reconnect, but particularly in hyper, there's a limit to how long you can wait and eventually I had to start raising my button and taking his chips.  He never got reconnected and I won it uncontested which didnlt feel great!

What's the accepted ettiquette here?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Seems like you gave him a decent opportunity to return.  Just one of those things.  
  • edited October 2012
    if you know him wait if you like if you dont im raisiing, what if it was you and they didnt wait which im sure most wouldnt. Very good of you though.
  • edited October 2012
    had a similar thread a while back - seem to remember opinions split 50/50 between the nice guy approach and the alls fair in love & war & poker take it while you can merchants
  • edited October 2012
    opions seem to vary on the subject i had the same situation last week but this was the £1500 bh when we got heads up he got disconnected we were both on 250k in chips i sat and folded for 5 mins then proceeded to steal the chips took me nearly 15 mins to get all the chips it felt a bit of a hollow victory....
  • edited October 2012
    I just see it as another form of variance. Sometimes you get aces, some times your oppo discoonnects, it happens both ways.

If you were in an F1 race and your oppos engine broke down, would you stop and wait for them?

Or maybe I'm just mean :-)

• edited October 2012

we're here to TAKE MONEY OFF EACH OTHER

if he disconnects that's his problem. if you're in a full ring game are you gonna stop playing because it's mean to steal blinds from someone who's disconnected? no.
  • edited October 2012
    I dont think this falls into the category of Ettiquette, all about personal opinions and morales. 

Me, raise raise raise. Record a win. Move onto the next. 
  • edited October 2012
    Yeah everybody is different so there is no right or wrong.

In a HU sng I give the player a certain ammount of time which varies depending on the type of game i'm playing.

• edited October 2012
    Personally, I'll be min-raising every hand to steal the blinds as fast as possible against a random. Think of it as another type of variance cos no doubt it will happen to you sometimes when you disconnect to.

Only time I don't do it is if I know the opponent.
  • edited October 2012
    See if he's registered for any other HU S'n'G's, register and make yourself some easy money.*

*this may be considered extremely bad form and the author is only presenting another option available to the OP.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Disconnected player ettiquette?:
    See if he's registered for any other HU S'n'G's, register and make yourself some easy money.* *this may be considered extremely bad form and the author is only presenting another option available to the OP.
    Posted by Mohican
    LOL, that is pure evil genius! :-)
  • edited October 2012
    its happend to me twice HU in mtts they were both regs i sat out waited for them to reconnect out of respct more than anything they got connected and both couldnt thank me enough...i won 1 lost 1 so a 1st and a 2nd which aint bad
  • edited October 2012
    its happend to me twice HU in mtts they were both regs i sat out waited for them to reconnect out of respct more than anything they got connected and both couldnt thank me enough...i won 1 lost 1 so a 1st and a 2nd which aint bad
    Posted by stokefc
    Yes, I guess heads up in an MTT is a different issue as there is more at stake and people have worked hard too get there, especially if you know the player. I was referring more to micro stakes HUSNGs.
  • edited October 2012
  • edited October 2012
    Dog eat Dog. Ill min raise every hand, Unless its a friend
  • edited October 2012

I'd raise, then raise again, until i got all the chips, if its a friend on the other hand... i raise and raise and raise until i have 98% of chips then i wait for them and wait for the reaction! :D this may be why i have no online poker friends :(

• edited October 2012
    I just see it as another form of variance. Sometimes you get aces, some times your oppo discoonnects, it happens both ways. If you were in an F1 race and your oppos engine broke down, would you stop and wait for them? Or maybe I'm just mean :-)
    Posted by DOOOOG

Well, it is a dooog eat dooog world out there! ;-)