You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

can i get away from this?

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancelisbonerSmall blind £0.10£0.10£13.01MilestoneBig blind £0.20£0.30£21.94 Your hole cardsKA   TJS10Call £0.20£0.50£35.18robbie1992Call £0.20£0.70£17.70GrispinoRaise £1.00£1.70£31.95BW45Fold    lisbonerFold    MilestoneFold    TJS10Call £0.80£2.50£34.38robbie1992Call £0.80£3.30£16.90Flop  73A   TJS10Check    robbie1992Check    GrispinoCheck    Turn  K   TJS10Bet £1.65£4.95£32.73robbie1992Raise £4.00£8.95£12.90GrispinoFold    TJS10All-in £32.73£41.68£0.00robbie1992All-in £12.90£54.58£0.00TJS10Unmatched bet £17.48£37.10£17.48TJS10Show33   robbie1992ShowKA   River  4   TJS10WinThree 3s£35.30 £52.78
This was about the 3rd hand of my session :( the table was aggresive so i decied to limp to disguise the strangth of my hand and also because im not confident with AK i dont particularly like the hand.  If i dont hit the K on the turn i can get away from this, but even after i do does the shove just look so out of place that it must be a set??? The villian i had see make  a loose call and get lucky on the turn and do the same, what do you think

Comments

• edited October 2012
    nope and i would c bet the flop 
  • edited October 2012
    Buy-in for the full amount.

Don't limp pre, if it's an aggro table then be happy they're being aggro when you're likely to have the best hand.

So isolate the limper. Then c-bet the flop.

Never fold the flop and never fold the turn imo when you're not even 100xBB deep.
  • edited October 2012
  • edited October 2012
    Raise pre

You don't want to get away from this
  • edited October 2012
    "...I decided to limp to disguise the strength of my hand..."

This is really bad logic. In order to disguise our big hands by limping in, we must also limp in with worse hands. The reason we don't limp in with weak hands is that we only give ourselves one chance to win; by making the best hand.

If we raise with our bad hands then we give ourselves the chance to win by making our opponents fold. So we would raise with weaker hands than AK. If we would raise with weaker hands than AK then the way we disguise the strength of our hand when we have AK is by raising, not limping. We also get more value from our big hands like AK when we raise as, when we're called, usually it means our opponents are putting chips into the pot when they're behind. 

"...I'm not confident with AK. I don't particularly like the hand"

AK is a big hand so you should like it. It is more difficult to play than AA or KK but we can't just sit around waiting for those (except at NL4, lol). I understand that it's the type of hand that can lose you a big pot and if you play tournaments, it's the hand that will see you knocked out more frequently than any other. However, if we play the hand aggressively pre-flop and assume that any Ace-high or King-high flop is usually going to give us the best hand, AK is a hand that should be very profitable for us.

Of course it can be a little more tricky than that but just because things might get tough doesn't mean we should play the hand sub-optimally. Disliking a particular hand prevents us from playing the hand as well as we can. It's similar to some people moving all-in for 100BB with KK because they feel like the Ace always comes on the flop. It makes no sense but they remember the times the Ace hits and base their decision on those occasions.