You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Need advice on tournaments

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
I keep getting within touching distance of the money or a seat into a tournament but end up getting put out, I don't know if I should sit back and wait for others to be put out or do what I'm doing now and keep up the pressure.  Anyone able to give me tips for when its like the last 20 or so and 10 spaces get payed?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    It all depends on what the money means to you. If  a min cash is good for you then play tight but if you want to go for  the win try and take advantage of the people playing tight for the cash. Also it is very dependant on your stack size compared to the rest of the runners and blinds of course. Saying all this of course you can still win it by playing tight and go out on the bubble being to aggresive, you just have to judge the situation at the time.
    If you keep getting yourself into this position you are doing something right so i wouldnt worry to much.
  • edited October 2012
    steal the binds of people that are nitting up to make the money? dunno, don't play tournies
  • edited October 2012
    Don't play tournies lol, that's good advice.

What happened Gavi? I thought you were just playing micro stakes DYMs and freerolls? Have you deposited more or already fallen into the net of playing bigger games?
  • edited October 2012
    Dependant on so many different factors - can't really give you much advice with out more details. If you post a situation or a hand in the clinic ppl will help
  • edited October 2012
    All you can do is play your best at this stage, being on the bubble or near the cash can happen a lot and its more frustrating than going out at the start. Remember you have to play for the win but in saying that, timing and picking hands is key at this stage. Short stacks will either tighten up and try and make the cash or shove with big premium hands or pk pairs! so be carefull of this! But they also may shove with any 2 if between 10x-15x bb, The big stacks are going to bully you and thats another factor also. If everyone limps then raise and most will fold unless its a good player trying to trap you.

There are so many things to think about but generaly use position and just even min raising at this stage can be enough to steal blinds or get information as apposed to the early stages when you 3x or 4x raise. If you have an aggresive table and holding a decent sized stack then sometimes its worth tightening up but if everyone is weak and you get the feeling they are scared of going out on the bubble then take advantage of it. No point bluffing against big stacks but also dont let them bully you either this is where postion is key dont go up against a big stack if your utg unless you know your very strong.

If your playing a satalite its differnt again and some just play to many hands and you have to remember your not playing for top prize just a place so just need enough chips to make it in the top 20 or how ever many there are.

Stick with it if your getting that far then your doing well and a win will come. Never be afraid of going out on the bubble play for the win and you cant go wrong. Varience is high in mtts and the trick is not leaving yourself short stacked by that stage. If you are then play harder to get the average or above so you dont have to struggle in the later stages.

GL and hope you get a win soon :)
  • edited October 2012
    my advice if you have stack near the bubble look around at the table biggest sign is people run the clock down to try and get in the cash target these players and raise everytime u have a hand all they want to do is sneak in teh cash by running clock down so put the pressure on these players they only call on gd hands 
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Need advice on tournaments:
    All you can do is play your best at this stage, being on the bubble or near the cash can happen a lot and its more frustrating than going out at the start. Remember you have to play for the win but in saying that, timing and picking hands is key at this stage. Short stacks will either tighten up and try and make the cash or shove with big premium hands or pk pairs! so be carefull of this! But they also may shove with any 2 if between 10x-15x bb, The big stacks are going to bully you and thats another factor also. If everyone limps then raise and most will fold unless its a good player trying to trap you. There are so many things to think about but generaly use position and just even min raising at this stage can be enough to steal blinds or get information as apposed to the early stages when you 3x or 4x raise. If you have an aggresive table and holding a decent sized stack then sometimes its worth tightening up but if everyone is weak and you get the feeling they are scared of going out on the bubble then take advantage of it. No point bluffing against big stacks but also dont let them bully you either this is where postion is key dont go up against a big stack if your utg unless you know your very strong. If your playing a satalite its differnt again and some just play to many hands and you have to remember your noeither t playing for top prize just a place so just need enough chips to make it in the top 20 or how ever many there are. Stick with it if your getting that far then your doing well and a win will come. Never be afraid of going out on the bubble play for the win and you cant go wrong. Varience is high in mtts and the trick is not leaving yourself short stacked by that stage. If you are then play harder to get the average or above so you dont have to struggle in the later stages. GL and hope you get a win soon :)
    Posted by Dazler

thank you very much for taking yout time to post this.  great advice ill probably keep this post open while in a tournament.  i deposited 5 pound and was doing alright, kept getting to 7 pound then back down to 3 pound, was drunk on a saturday and mates were all putting on coupons so decided to use 2 quid from my skybet acc and it pretty much went downhill from there! ill need to stick to brm next time
  • edited October 2012
    its just no my luck this week haha!  Was playing well in tournament, top 10 got satellited in, then my internet disconneted me for no reason!!  Went from 18k chips to 2.3k.  came 35th -.-
  • edited October 2012
    I used to end up scraping into the cash at tournies, but without enough of a stack to progress any further. The fix was not the play near the bubble, but throughout the tournament. I had been very happy confidently taking down pots that I was winning, and thereby leaking some extra value. By focussing on improving my ability to keep players in the pot when they are behind, and risking them occassionally luckboxing a win I found my stack size approaching the bubble increasing, which then made it easier to follow Daz's & IDCU's advice on bubble play.
  • edited October 2012
    Don't play tournies lol, that's good advice. What happened Gavi? I thought you were just playing micro stakes DYMs and freerolls? Have you deposited more or already fallen into the net of playing bigger games?
    Posted by Lambert180
    i meant i don't play them..
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Need advice on tournaments : i meant i don't play them..
    Posted by Pipunch
    Ok haha I thought you meant that. I'm terrible in cash games but I think I play really well in tournaments