You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should I have folded early here?

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi,
 Any thoughts on this one?
Was my mistake calling with this hand in early position? Should I have folded to the later raises? Would you call the last raise?
 Thanks for any advice here, much appreciated.
Cheers folks,Doug PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceDOOOOGSmall blind £0.02£0.02£3.78MacacanBig blind £0.04£0.06£8.44 Your hole cardsKQ   Dustin1Raise £0.12£0.18£3.34skychipsFold    DOOOOGCall £0.10£0.28£3.68MacacanFold    Flop  JQ2   DOOOOGCheck    Dustin1Bet £0.21£0.49£3.13DOOOOGRaise £0.42£0.91£3.26Dustin1Call £0.21£1.12£2.92Turn  3   DOOOOGCheck    Dustin1Check    River  3   DOOOOGBet £0.56£1.68£2.70Dustin1Raise £1.40£3.08£1.52      

Comments

• edited October 2012
    i wouldn't even play this hand from the SB purely because it can put you in awkward spots and as it's cash we can wait for a better situation

also i don't see what the reraise on the flop is doing - if you were trying to buy a free river card, which you achieved, then check/call river

if he was strong i don't get why he's checking behind the turn. bit strange imo unless he's trying to induce a bluff shove or something on the river

if you've taken the check/raise line on the flop surely you have to barrel a blank turn. it just looks like you're unsure and don't know what to do
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Should I have folded early here?:
    i wouldn't even play this hand from the SB purely because it can put you in awkward spots and as it's cash we can wait for a better situation also i don't see what the reraise on the flop is doing - if you were trying to buy a free river card, which you achieved, then check/call river if he was strong i don't get why he's checking behind the turn. bit strange imo unless he's trying to induce a bluff shove or something on the river if you've taken the check/raise line on the flop surely you have to barrel a blank turn. it just looks like you're unsure and don't know what to do
    Posted by Pipunch
    Cheers mate.

Yes you are right, I think I mangled this hand pretty badly. Reviewing hand history I'm losing a fair bit from playing hands like this in early position, so will definitely be tightenng up there.

Also need to look at telling a more consistent story.

Really enjoying learning cash but amazed how differntly it plasy from tourneys and SNGs.

Cheers,
    Doug
  • edited October 2012
    what was the outcome of the hand?

a tip for NL4: you don't want to be playing hands where the value is marginal. the players aren't good enough to be putting you in spots where you can do it. you either have them massively beat or are dead i find. the best thing to do is really tighten up and just value bet the hell out of them when you're nearly positive you have the best hand because they're all calling stations.

some people say you should play a massive wide range and as many hands as possible against these players but i think your post flop skills have to be pretty good, which mine aren't so i play a pre flop game

i basically play full ring strategy starting hands on 6MAX tables and it works out pretty well for me, although i don't earn as much as some
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Should I have folded early here?:
    what was the outcome of the hand? a tip for NL4: you don't want to be playing hands where the value is marginal. the players aren't good enough to be putting you in spots where you can do it. you either have them massively beat or are dead i find. the best thing to do is really tighten up and just value bet the hell out of them when you're nearly positive you have the best hand because they're all calling stations. some people say you should play a massive wide range and as many hands as possible against these players but i think your post flop skills have to be pretty good, which mine aren't so i play a pre flop game i basically play full ring strategy starting hands on 6MAX tables and it works out pretty well for me, although i don't earn as much as some
    Posted by Pipunch

Thanks mate, I'll bear that in mind, I've dabbled with Omaha and that's how I played there and it was pretty successful, so will try the same logic on NL4. 

Played a lot of HUSNGs in hold 'em so have quite loose aggressive tendencies, will be a good exercise to learn to adjust the other way.

I'm getting used to playing more tables at present so I can pick better hands without getting bored.

In the end I made the call and he had aces so I lost the pot.

Cheers,
    Doug

• edited October 2012
    Pre fine

Flat flop readless

As played bet turn

Bet river bigger, as played I call