You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Exit hand from tonights Roller, is this shove OK?

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Villain had opened alot of pots with 3x bets, have also seen him do this in other tournaments with a very wide opening range.  I'd been playing pretty solid and he'd raised my BB the last 2 orbits before this.  I'm happy that 55 is ahead of alot of his opening range here, but it's not a hand I want to play out of position.  My thoughts - a call and I'm set mining and a raise is going to be committing 1/4 of my chips to the pot which is why I opted to shove.

Given stack sizes (I'm playing 24BB's at this point, so have plenty of scope to wait for better spots), is this a fold, is there another line here or is the shove right?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
THEROCK573 Small blind  250.00 250.00 31835.00
Slykllist Big blind  500.00 750.00 12030.00
 Your hole cards

gadgerno1 Fold     
** Raise  1500.00 2250.00 12282.50
SJspanky1 Fold     
DivsDreams Fold     
THEROCK573 Fold     
Slykllist All-in  12030.00 14280.00 0.00
** Call  11030.00 25310.00 1252.50
Slykllist Show

** Show

Flop

Turn

• K

River

** Win Full House, 2s and 9s 25310.00  26562.50

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Wayy too rash for my liking!  Set mine FTW!  At this stage in tourney I'm only doing this with 1010>. (Not just say this cos oppo has 99 BTW - just a self imposed rule)
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Exit hand from tonights Roller, is this shove OK?:
    Wayy too rash for my liking!  Set mine FTW!  At this stage in tourney I'm only doing this with 1010 />. (Not just say this cos oppo has 99 BTW - just a self imposed rule)
    Posted by Glenelg
    NOTE: When Glenelg 3-bet shoves, FOLD!!!

;)
  • edited October 2012
    I don't think it's terrible. If you're certain that he's opening a very wide range and is able to fold to a shove a big majority of the time, then it's fine.

I would question whether you think he's aware of position at the table, though. Most players open a considerably tighter range from UTG+1 than from the button, say. It's definitely high variance to shove 24BB here.

I do this sort of thing myself occasionally, only against someone that I've seen open every hand and fold to lots of 3-bets though. There's 19% of your stack in the middle, so it doesn't have to get through that frequently to be profitable and when you're called you're going to be flipping alot of the time. The numbers say it should be a +EV move if you pick your opponent well. You need to be aware of the image it will give you and the dynamic it will set up at the table.

I'm just not sure I'd like doing it against an UTG+1 player but if you think he's not aware of position and can find the fold button...
  • edited October 2012
    so tough

I used to shove in this spot - working on the assumption that he is raising light. But have often been called by worse, and two overcards still isn't good to risk your tournie life against. So I'm thinking now that I fold in this position, although the table dynamic might change that.
  • edited October 2012
    im folding pre here this is a pure gamble if u get calle your never ahead so basicaly ya stealing so u might aswell of shoved with 2 7 u got plenty of chips to play with i think this is a loose shove m8
  • edited October 2012
    Either fold pre or do what you did. I don't like calling or 3bet/folding. 3bet/calling is meh. Depends on villain as to whether I fold or shove

edit: just read your notes on villain I think you played it fine
  • edited October 2012
    Id fold here when our opponant has 3xd it under the gun +1 and were not deep enough to set mine.  Ive have had to tighten up my 3 bet jamming range and 4 bet shoving range on sky compared to the french site which i also play on.  On there you will see a lot of 5 bet bluffing and so on but on sky if someone 3 bets me and i 4 bet jam with 55 i guarantee im crushed!
  • edited October 2012
    Depends if his opening range is wide in ep and how wide he gets it in

It's fine imo, 

• edited October 2012
    I probaly lean towards folding in-game, but I don't think it's terrible at all. You've got a good stack siz for 3bet-shoving, and you've used it against a serial opener (with a wide range) where you have a good chance of having the best hand.

@ IDCU - He will get called by worse sometimes, granted it will mean him flipping, but flipping as a favourite and more often than not he'll probably just pick up the 2250 uncontested against a wide opener.
  • edited October 2012
    probably don't need to take the risk with 24 bigs. i think you're behind most of his range by a few %. if he's opening up more than 50% of hands you're still only very slight favourite. i wouldn't take the risk in cash and you didn't need to take the risk here, there were better spots for sure

needless flip at best
  • edited October 2012

prefer 3/b fold

flame away )

think it's very close if you shove or fold if that's what you prefer -
    when called your racing at best -

with that stack probbaly find a fold - but still prefer 3/b fold)
    but all depends if oppo been folding to 3 bet's or what - also depends if you have 3 bet oppo before and what happened  -what does oppo call 3bets with IP - lalalalalalalalala

dont' hate the shove, but it's not a great spot )
  • edited October 2012
    i understand that lambert but he could be dominated vs overpair its a pure out n out gamble with slyklists stack id rather be the 1 thats raising putting pressure on not going all in after a raise to risky for me 
  • edited October 2012
    i understand that lambert but he could be dominated vs overpair its a pure out n out gamble with slyklists stack id rather be the 1 thats raising putting pressure on not going all in after a raise to risky for me 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    But that's exactly what he's doing and that's part of the strength of 3bet jams. He's putting the ultimate pressure on by saying, if you call this if for your tournament life, so villian is gonna be calling pretty tight IMO (his call in this hand is probably the absolute bottom of his range) which means most of the time, we add almost 20% to our stack which is massive.
  • edited October 2012
    still a gamble i mean id rather be opening the pots stealing blinds etc for me this is a gamble hoping u pick up the blinds and the raisers chips hoping he dnt have anything if u get called ya not loving life so this might aswell be a 7 2 bluff all in imo 
  • edited October 2012
    22 33 44 are never calling a shove so ya gonna be dominated 30 per cent of time id say and a flip 70 per cent of the time 
  • edited October 2012
    still a gamble i mean id rather be opening the pots stealing blinds etc for me this is a gamble hoping u pick up the blinds and the raisers chips hoping he dnt have anything if u get called ya not loving life so this might aswell be a 7 2 bluff all in imo 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

equity win tie      pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 37.921%   37.69% 00.23%     255598884  1531980.00   { 55 }
    Hand 1: 62.079%   61.85% 00.23%     419409540  1531980.00   { TT+, AQs+, KQs, AQo+ }

equity win tie      pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 22.633%   22.39% 00.25%     303609588  3327456.00   { 72o }
    Hand 1: 77.367%   77.12% 00.25%    1045880268  3327456.00   { TT+, AQs+, KQs, AQo+ }

Oooops KQs shudn't be in there, prob changes it slightly but cba to do it a 3rd time :P

Yes, I have just re-downloaded PStove :)
  • edited October 2012
    So we got 37% (ish) equity v his range, and he calls probably 10-15% of time max, especially because Sly has given reads that he raises alot with a wide range, so he's obviously raising alot of times when he won't be willing to stick the lot in.
  • edited October 2012
    Just for JJ's information I made his range alot wider than  TT+, AQs+, KQs, AQo+ and that was based on pretty solid information.
  • edited October 2012
    Just for JJ's information I made his range alot wider than  TT+, AQs+, KQs, AQo+ and that was based on pretty solid information.
    Posted by Slykllist
    btw, he snapped called this so in reality his calling range here probably goes lower than 99..... more information for future!
  • edited October 2012
    When someone opens to 3x with them blinds him folding to the jam would be really really bad.  When people open to 3x with the blinds so high i give them credit for a hand.  I dont think hes folding to our shove a high enough percentage of the time for it to be profitable and at best we are flipping or are dominated.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Exit hand from tonights Roller, is this shove OK? : btw, he snapped called this so in reality his calling range here probably goes lower than 99..... more information for future!
    Posted by Slykllist
    If oppo calling range is wider then it's probbaly even worse for you.
    If your shoving this spot you want his calling range to be narrow, giving you more fold equiity. 10's+ AK for example
    you need to fold out pairs /> 6 < 9 + AQ/AJ

oppo raising range has to be very wide & often for you to shove this spot, if that's your read then ok ul bad timing :( but it's just not a great spot

your stack size without antes is a very nice stack size, 8's+ AJ+ you can happily ship here imo

still think 3 b/f is an option - no one feels the same ?
  • edited October 2012
    24bbs no antes its def spew
  • edited October 2012
    Posted by Slykllist
    Would imagine doh is stoving his calling range not his opening range
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks for posting this Slykllist, as it inspired me to post my exit hand, from which I have gathered really interesting advice. Hope you've found the same from the responses to yours.
  • edited October 2012
    24bbs no antes its def spew
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    I know right, he should wait til he has 19bbs and is utg with A6o 

ROFFLE
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks for posting this Slykllist, as it inspired me to post my exit hand, from which I have gathered really interesting advice. Hope you've found the same from the responses to yours.
    Posted by GELDY
    Always find it useful which is why I continue to post my terrible plays on here :)

Thanks all for the comments