You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lazarus – coming to your table soon!

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat

Firstly,  this is a  serious question/debate and def NOT a brag post.

Q.  Why do I seem to play SO good in SnG's when I’m short stacked?  This week e.g I’ve come back from the dead 3 or 4 times!  And I mean DEAD!  Some were SO ridiculous.  E.g. it’s bubble time in a DYM, 4 left,  4400, 3445, 3300, and me 855!!!) Blinds are 100/200 and I’m BB next.  I’d “almost” given up but I get lucky, pick my spots AND not only did I cash but I came 1st!   It’s “almost” got to the stage where I WANT to be the shortie!!!  Is this normal in the “learning process” of an improving poker player?   When I say improving I guess it’s all relative BUT as my 2nd favourite hobby isn’t costing me anything I gotta be improving.   All advice/thoughts welcome.  Also, if you’ve been a victim – post, it'll be cathartic & it’ll make me feel better! ;-))

Pad

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Perhaps because it's much easier to play perfect poker when you're short stacked cos you have limited decisions and those decisions you do have are probs easy enough. Deeper stack requires more thought usually - you can't just shove/fold
  • edited October 2012
    sounds like you were lucky it wont last lol
  • edited October 2012
    Cashed in this DYM a couple of minutes ago !
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    fafnir Small blind   75.00 75.00 3735.00
    VespaPX Big blind   150.00 225.00 300.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

CBFC Fold        
    flashy23 Call   150.00 375.00 3212.50
    thepest Raise   300.00 675.00 2840.00
    fafnir Fold        
    VespaPX All-in   300.00 975.00 0.00
    flashy23 Call   300.00 1275.00 2912.50
    thepest Call   150.00 1425.00 2690.00
    Flop

• Q
    • K
    • J

flashy23 Check        
    thepest Check        
    Turn

flashy23 Check        
    thepest Bet   300.00 1725.00 2390.00
    flashy23 Fold        
    thepest Unmatched bet   300.00 1425.00 2690.00
    VespaPX Show
    • A

thepest Show
    • J
    • A

River

VespaPX Win Straight to the Ace 712.50   712.50
    thepest Win Straight to the Ace 712.50   3402.50
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Lazarus – coming to your table soon!:
    Perhaps because it's much easier to play perfect poker when you're short stacked cos you have limited decisions and those decisions you do have are probs easy enough. Deeper stack requires more thought usually - you can't just shove/fold
    Posted by percival09
    this. Also u are prob runnin good
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Lazarus – coming to your table soon!:
    Firstly,  this is a  serious question/debate and def NOT a brag post. Q.  Why do I seem to play SO good in SnG's when I’m short stacked?   This week e.g I’ve come back from the dead 3 or 4 times!   And I mean DEAD!   Some were SO ridiculous.   E.g. it’s bubble time in a DYM, 4 left,   4400, 3445, 3300, and me 855!!!) Blinds are 100/200 and I’m BB next.   I’d “almost” given up but I get lucky, pick my spots AND not only did I cash but I came 1 st !     It’s “almost” got to the stage where I WANT to be the shortie!!!   Is this normal in the “learning process” of an improving poker player?     When I say improving I guess it’s all relative BUT as my 2 nd favourite hobby isn’t costing me anything I gotta be improving.    All advice/thoughts welcome.  Also, i f you’ve been a victim – post, it'll be cathartic & it’ll make me feel better! ;-)) Pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    Brag!!
  • edited October 2012
    First: 21/8/2010
    Last: 6/10/2012
                      yes agree 100%
  • edited October 2012
    Yet so many times people say the shortstacks never win.
  • edited October 2012
    Firstly,  this is a  serious question/debate and def NOT a brag post. Q.  Why do I seem to play SO good in SnG's when I’m short stacked?   This week e.g I’ve come back from the dead 3 or 4 times!   And I mean DEAD!   Some were SO ridiculous.   E.g. it’s bubble time in a DYM, 4 left,   4400, 3445, 3300, and me 855!!!) Blinds are 100/200 and I’m BB next.   I’d “almost” given up but I get lucky, pick my spots AND not only did I cash but I came 1 st !     It’s “almost” got to the stage where I WANT to be the shortie!!!   Is this normal in the “learning process” of an improving poker player?     When I say improving I guess it’s all relative BUT as my 2 nd favourite hobby isn’t costing me anything I gotta be improving.    All advice/thoughts welcome.  Also, i f you’ve been a victim – post, it'll be cathartic & it’ll make me feel better! ;-)) Pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    Pad you seem to be suffering from an overdose of capital letters and quotation marks. Please go easy on them as they will soon be in short supply and we will have to chop down more trees to make some more.
    To answer you question  shortstack is much simpler to play. You basically have 2 choices and you know what they are. But wanting to be the shortie? No there's something wrong there.
  • edited October 2012
    Posted by Glenelg
    Only legitimate answer to give is variance. Obviously there's a sub-skill to short stacked poker, but so many hands play themself - especially in SNGs.