You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Different sort of problem

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
robbie1992 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £86.64
kcxyz Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £47.25
shawsok Sit out     
 Your hole cards

hhamza162 Fold     
VINEY73 Fold     
Wizwazwez Raise  £1.50 £2.25 £54.60
robbie1992 Call  £1.25 £3.50 £85.39
kcxyz Fold     
Flop

robbie1992 Check     
Wizwazwez Check     
Turn

robbie1992 Check     
Wizwazwez Bet  £2.63 £6.13 £51.97
robbie1992 Raise  £5.26 £11.39 £80.13
Wizwazwez Call  £2.63 £14.02 £49.34
River

robbie1992 Bet  £14.02 £28.04 £66.11
Wizwazwez Call  £14.02 £42.06 £35.32
robbie1992 Show

Wizwazwez Muck
  • K

robbie1992 Win Four 2s £40.26  £106.37
So i flopped a monster but on a flop that is unlikely to hit my oppoennt, do you think i got maximum value and what other ways can i play this hand, is it always check can prey for action and take it from there or would u have other strategys?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    calling pre, fine.

Checking to the raiser on the flop is fine

I probably bet the turn because I don't want it to go check/check again, but checking isn't horrible if you think he'll have a stab. If you check/raise, then raise bigger imo.

And you got full pot on the river, can't ask for much more.
  • edited October 2012
    Min c/r turn and pot river, thats a terrible line imo.

Your lucky to get a call on the river.
  • edited October 2012
    I agree with KKrippler. The min-check-raise on the turn is just about the worst thing you could do. Minimum raising post-flop is almost always bad.

In this case you have the nuts so you're raising for value. Going for the min-raise gains the minimum value on the occasions that you're called. It's also just about the scariest bet you can possibly make. Experienced playrs will see right through your hand strength. This is simply because if you were bluffing then you would never raise the minmum. If you had no hand you would want to offer your opponent a bad price to call. The min-raise basically says "I'm not afraid of anything. Please put more money in the pot."

So basically you really shouldn't min-raise at any stage after the flop. In cash poker you shouldn't min-raise at all, in fact. The only time that a min-raise can be reasonable in cash poker is when you and your opponent have alot of history with each other and the min-raise is a level. In other words, you might get them to do something silly by min-raising.

(Tournament poker is a bit different and min-raising pre-flop is pretty standard once the average stack drops to about 30BB.)
  • edited October 2012
    The min check raise on the turn was to make sure my opponent didnt fold, the pot on river is to look like i have nothing and have tried to steal, and it worked so im happy with what i done.  Was just wondering about different approaches
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Different sort of problem:
    The min check raise on the turn was to make sure my opponent didnt fold, the pot on river is to look like i have nothing and have tried to steal, and it worked so im happy with what i done.  Was just wondering about different approaches
    Posted by robbie1992
    But this is the problem; the min-raise gives him every chance to fold. Even if he doesn't, you're getting the minimum value from him and allowing him to see a river extremely cheaply. 

If he's holding some sort of draw, he'll call on the turn then fold on the river if he misses, so you get less than if you'd raised bigger on the turn. If you raise bigger on the turn and he hits his draw, you can win his full stack on the river. 

If he's a good player, he'll see your min-raise as strength and will either fold on the turn or will fold to your river bet. Whereas he might call a bigger raise on the turn and then possibly could call again on the river because he can think you're bluffing with that line... 

Simply because you got paid for full-pot on the river in this particular hand, doesn't mean you should be happy with your line. Over time this play will cost you alot of money. Even in this hand, you probably would have been paid more if you'd made a more standard raise on the turn.
  • edited October 2012
    I prob bet turn, but like c/r too if you make it bigger

River I bet smaller