You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Fair?

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
I joined sky poker last month and earned about £33 in C4P - however have been told by customer care that because I didnt enter the code 'POINTS' in the promotions page i get £0. I dont feel this is fair as this isnt clear when you sign up until you read the info on the C4P page. 

I know this isnt the place to winge but I just feel that customer care are black and white about this stuff. 

This is the 2nd time i feel sky have misled customers (1st one being the welcome promotion) and it really seems unfair. 

Thanks

Comments

• edited October 2012
    To be fair, it is pretty clear in black and white if you look at the Cash for Points promotions page:

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/cash-for-points
  • edited October 2012
    you could argue they might have given you it as a token gesture.........but then where do they draw the line
  • edited October 2012
    My point is really that i joined via a friend who told me about C4P, so I did not need to read the information page about it. When I played, on the lobby, on the right hand side it came up with my points and then the amount of money I was going to earn. It did not say anywhere CLEARLY about typing in a code.

On a seperate point I think that for this promo it is obvious that i want to opt in as why would I decline a free £33 for playing?

• edited October 2012
    doesn't matter

you wanna try the rakeback systems on other sites they're mindblowingly complicated some of them

you need to put the promo code in. if you don't you get squat. it's as simple as that.
  • edited October 2012
    Opting in - They take the majority of poker points you accrue for the C4Ps at the end of the month so you need to give permission for them to do this.  It might also be a legal thing but I don't know for sure.

I did the same thing as you though, although I started on SkyPoker before C4Ps came in I played elsewhere for a good six/nine months back in the day, came back and the C4P was in it's third or fourth month I think.  I didn't see the promo, other players told me about it in the chatbox.  I put in a ton of grind, end of the month and then nada.  It was then that other players told me about the promo code.  FML.  Oh well, worst things happen at sea I thought.

At least you can activate this at any time, other sites back in the day would only accept RB deals through affiliate programmes at the point of signing up.  I remember one site which point blank refused any rakeback deals if you didn't enter a code when you started.
  • edited October 2012

Totally unfair, you have a point. 

I too have a point over which I have written the sternest letter of complaint.  Ten years ago I started playing the national lottery.  My friend told me how good it was, so I thought I would have a go and I chose 6 numbers.  Every week I had those same numbers.  Last week all my six came up.  I waited for the cheque to arrive but nothing.  I phoned them to ask where my money is.  They had the audacity to say that I should have first bought a ticket. 

• edited October 2012
    Personally, if it's OK legally, I feel it would be fairer if all new players were opted into C4P by default with the option to withdraw from the scheme should they prefer not to participate.

Threads like this pop-up quite often, and you can be sure for each person who speaks up there will be several more feeling the same disappointment who just keep quiet. I'm sure Sky would much rather have happy new customers than angry new customers.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Fair?:
    Totally unfair, you have a point.  I too have a point over which I have written the sternest letter of complaint.  Ten years ago I started playing the national lottery.  My friend told me how good it was, so I thought I would have a go and I chose 6 numbers.  Every week I had those same numbers.  Last week all my six came up.  I waited for the cheque to arrive but nothing.  I phoned them to ask where my money is.  They had the audacity to say that I should have first bought a ticket.   
    Posted by aussie09
    what lol?
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Fair? : what lol?
    Posted by sighcall

lol

and i am still waiting for my cheque for £250,000 from Reader's Digest.  Any day now.

• edited October 2012
    lolololol.

To the point.. Agreed that info on putting the code in should be made more clear on the home page or on the slidey bar thing but it's still your responsiblity to read the promotions before starting to play and seeing what you have to do to enter these promotions.

Faults from both sides imo.
  • edited October 2012
    Think of it like a Nectar card. You earn point for buying stuff but you still have to sign up for a card and remember to swipe it each time you go shopping. I think Sky's system is fair.
  • edited October 2012
    My point is really that i joined via a friend who told me about C4P, so I did not need to read the information page about it. When I played, on the lobby, on the right hand side it came up with my points and then the amount of money I was going to earn. It did not say anywhere CLEARLY about typing in a code. On a seperate point I think that for this promo it is obvious that i want to opt in as why would I decline a free £33 for playing?
    Posted by sighcall

I was in the 'it's tough luck' camp, until I read this.
    If a player who hasn't signed up, still has the widget thing, indicating that they are earning points, and they are worth a cash value, then there is a fair argument that this is mis-leading.
    I would get back onto CC , and politely explain your case to them again.

(BTW, the bit about you taking your friend's word, so not reading the info is a little careless, so probably wouldn't mention that).

• edited October 2012
    Well until this post I did not realise you had to enter a code although Im sure Ive been told by the many e mails which I receive. One thing concerns me though is why do you need to opt in ? Surely you have nothing to lose by opting in or do you lose out in another way ? Finally for what my opinion is worth, then surely the cash for points chart should only be there if you have opted in ?

• edited October 2012
    A valuable life lesson - always read the small print.
  • edited October 2012
    First: 9/8/2012
    Last: 9/10/2012
    My point is really that i joined via a friend who told me about C4P, so I did not need to read
     re, ask your friend for the £33 ov he mislead you gr8 m8 ,lol.
  • edited October 2012
    Totally unfair, you have a point.  I too have a point over which I have written the sternest letter of complaint.  Ten years ago I started playing the national lottery.  My friend told me how good it was, so I thought I would have a go and I chose 6 numbers.  Every week I had those same numbers.  Last week all my six came up.  I waited for the cheque to arrive but nothing.  I phoned them to ask where my money is.  They had the audacity to say that I should have first bought a ticket.   
    Posted by aussie09
    ^^^^^^^^^LOOOOOL^^^^^^^^^^^
  • edited October 2012
    this has to be the most rigged game on the net what are the odds of always losing the same way astronomical no doubt sky u should be investigated for your blatant rigging of games .I have never seen such blatant cheating as i have on here disgraceful
  • edited October 2012
    Think of it like a Nectar card. You earn point for buying stuff but you still have to sign up for a card and remember to swipe it each time you go shopping. I think Sky's system is fair.
    Posted by jugglegeek
    although when you forget to bring your nectar card with you they validate your receipt for you and let you collect your points the next time you come into the store.
  • edited October 2012

Hi Guys.

Quite complicated this, but when you think it through, it becomes clearer.

Firstly, nobody is being diddled or fiddled - the T & C's are quite clear about it, & the welcome e-Mail for new players makers it VERY CLEAR that you have to opt-in.

The Promo Page also makes it abundantly clear, too - see "HOW DO I ENTER?" HERE

It's not "hidden" or in small print, it clearly says, & not in mini-font.....

To enter into the Cash for Points promotion:

• Click 'My Account' and go into ‘Free Bets’
    • Enter the code POINTS

So no, I don't think that is in any way trying to "catch" anyone.

Your friend told you about the promo, so you never checked? With due respect, is that not a little remiss on his, or your part? It's not Sky Poker's fault he told you incomplete information, or you never checked - the info IS displayed very clearly.

Why is everyone not auto opted in?

I don't actually know, I've never asked, but I look at it this way.

Tesco & Asda stick "Redeemable Vouchers" (my nan used to call them "coupons") through my letter box every day, "5p off if you present this voucher".

I have never once redeemed one of them in my entire life, because I am not interested, & I just can't be bothered. My perfect right.

Do Tesco knock 5pm off my tin of beans if I fail to present my voucher? No way!

And so they have a customer who does not want their 5p - me - so the end result is that they don't give something to someone who does not want it - they can't. There is no point having vouchers if you don't have to have the voucher to redeem it, is there? Try asking Tesco to give you the 5p without the voucher - good luck with that!

So they save 5p. It's a business, & those 5p's add up. The 5p offer is genuine, & fair, but you MUST present the coupon. Seems fair to me. 

The Widget? I think that may be a fairer question, & I don't know the answer really. I guess it would need quite a software tweak to "exclude" non-opted players, but I'm just guessing, I don't really know. 

I hope that helps explain how it works the way it does.     

• edited October 2012
    I do agree, it is very misleading to display a widget saying you have earned X amount if this is not actually the case.

However.... it does say right underneath the Cash for Points title of said widget - How to Qualify, which when clicked goes on to say -

To qualify enter the code POINTS on the Free Bets page in My Account.You won't have to enter the code again.

So I think Sky have fullfilled their obligation in providing the correct and full information.

As TommyD intimated earlier, i would guess there is a legal issue relating to Data Protection which requires you to opt-in although I am not sure on this.
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Guys. Quite complicated this, but when you think it through, it becomes clearer. Firstly, nobody is being diddled or fiddled - the T & C's are quite clear about it, & the welcome e-Mail for new players makers it VERY CLEAR that you have to opt-in.   The Promo Page also makes it abundantly clear, too - see "HOW DO I ENTER?" HERE It's not "hidden" or in small print, it clearly says, & not in mini-font.....     To enter into the Cash for Points promotion: Click 'My Account' and go into ‘Free Bets’ Enter the code POINTS So no, I don't think that is in any way trying to "catch" anyone. Your friend told you about the promo, so you never checked? With due respect, is that not a little remiss on his, or your part? It's not Sky Poker's fault he told you incomplete information, or you never checked - the info IS displayed very clearly.   Why is everyone not auto opted in? I don't actually know, I've never asked, but I look at it this way. Tesco & Asda stick "Redeemable Vouchers" (my nan used to call them "coupons") through my letter box every day, "5p off if you present this voucher". I have never once redeemed one of them in my entire life, because I am not interested, & I just can't be bothered. My perfect right.   Do Tesco knock 5pm off my tin of beans if I fail to present my voucher? No way! And so they have a customer who does not want their 5p - me - so the end result is that they don't give something to someone who does not want it - they can't. There is no point having vouchers if you don't have to have the voucher to redeem it, is there? Try asking Tesco to give you the 5p without the voucher - good luck with that! So they save 5p. It's a business, & those 5p's add up. The 5p offer is genuine, & fair, but you MUST present the coupon. Seems fair to me.    The Widget? I think that may be a fairer question, & I don't know the answer really. I guess it would need quite a software tweak to "exclude" non-opted players, but I'm just guessing, I don't really know.  I hope that helps explain how it works the way it does.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay,

Thanks for your post.

I understand that it is my fault for not reading T&C and putting the code in.

However I do think it is very misleading and bad of sky that it comes up as a cash figure on the widget, so I obviously assume that it is working and that mabye it auto opted me in or something.

I also feel that when I contacted customer care there was no apology, or saying that they would make it clearer, just a simple NO.

In addition if you follow this link http://www.skypoker.com/refer/#T'sandC's you can see it clearly STILL says that there is a welcome bonus of £1000 available even after I was mislead (I dont know if you remmber my post Tikay) and told they would remove it.

Thanks again.

• edited October 2012
  • edited October 2012

Good morning.

If "so then...../" is a request for a further answer, I had already addressed all of your points, or I think I had.

I don't know how the convo went Customer Care went, or it's context, so I cannot comment on their lack of apology, but perhaps they felt that Sky Poker had not knowingly misled you, or anyone else. 

The link you have given in your Post has confused me, I'm afraid, as it links to the £50 Refer-a-Friend Promotion, & I can see no reference on it to a £1,000 Welcome bonus. Apologies if I have misunderstood. 

I've tried to respond to your questions, but I cannot really assist furtther, but please feel free ro raise the matter with Customer Care if you are still not satisfied.

Take care now, & have a good weekend.   

• edited October 2012
    It quite clearly states under the widget, you need to enter the promo code to be eligable for the C4P promotion.

If you came here via a friend, and didn't read the T+C's, you can't blame the site for not shoving free money down your throat.
    It's your own responsibility to be accountable for any promotion Sky might have, just take it as a lesson learned and read up on what you're signing up to in the future.

Skys' rakeback system is probably the clearest and easiest out of all the poker sites i've personally played on too.

I'd have more sympathy if there wernt so many arrows pointing you in the right direction. If it was so 'unclear', how come not many others have had the same issue you're having? :/

I think clicking a couple of buttons and typing POINTS to earn a few quid is the easiest money anyone's gunna make in their life, just get the promo in now and learn from the little mistakes, and you'll be golden :)

Also, super wp to Tikay. He ceases to amaze me with the effort he puts into us Sky lot. Bless 'im.
  • edited October 2012
    if you cba to read owt that sky sends check your free bets regulary,sky give lots of goodies away like birthday bonus,freerolls,double deposit and stuff,its better to read any e-mails that sky send
  • edited October 2012
    Pretty embaressing that they put the widget up saying you will get £33  , when in fact you wont.

If it wasn't for this, i would say tough luck  (although i still think its pretty ridic anyone has to enter 'points' in the first place, but thats a different matter).   Due to the widget i think they should definately give you the money.

Tikay makes the Tesco analogy.    
    If you went to tesco, and were told you would get £33 at the end of the shop,  you then spend more because your due this £33.   Then you then get through the checkouts to find this £33 will not be given .  oooo.
    Would you shop there again ?  I think not. 

Pretty ridic Sky would be so stubborn over £33 . ahh well.
  • edited October 2012
    Well until this post I did not realise you had to enter a code although Im sure Ive been told by the many e mails which I receive. One thing concerns me though is why do you need to opt in ? Surely you have nothing to lose by opting in or do you lose out in another way ? Finally for what my opinion is worth, then surely the cash for points chart should only be there if you have opted in ?
    Posted by JPW33
    im sure you have to opt in because you loose the points when you get your cash so you cant then use them to play freerolls. although most people want the cash i suppose sky need your permission first.
    Also on the widget it does say 'how to qualify' so it fairly obvious you need to do somthing.
  • edited October 2012
    Pretty embaressing that they put the widget up saying you will get £33  , when in fact you wont. If it wasn't for this, i would say tough luck  (although i still think its pretty ridic anyone has to enter 'points' in the first place, but thats a different matter).   Due to the widget i think they should definately give you the money. Tikay makes the Tesco analogy.     If you went to tesco, and were told you would get £33 at the end of the shop,  you then spend more because your due this £33.   Then you then get through the checkouts to find this £33 will not be given .  oooo. Would you shop there again ?  I think not.  Pretty ridic Sky would be so stubborn over £33 . ahh well.
    Posted by 1267
    I don't think the amount of money matters too much - it's more about Sky keeping to their rules. You have to opt in to win your c4p cash. £6 or £4million
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Fair? : I don't think the amount of money matters too much - it's more about Sky keeping to their rules. You have to opt in to win your c4p cash. £6 or £4million
    Posted by percival09
    This would be fair enough.  But there inconsistency is again embaressing.

Alot of players have came on here(the forum) complained/pointed out the situation , and then got the money as a 'goodwill gesuture',  some have not.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Fair? : im sure you have to opt in because you loose the points when you get your cash so you cant then use them to play freerolls. although most people want the cash i suppose sky need your permission first. Also on the widget it does say 'how to qualify' so it fairly obvious you need to do somthing.
    Posted by Russ76

So if you opt for cash for points do you lose the points for freerolls ??