You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

3 Bet Sizing Micro Stakes

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat

Hello all newbie question so please bare with me!!

Trying to work on my 3 and 4 bet sizing recently looking at what size to make my bets and more importantly why I am making them the size I am! At the mo I feel like when im 3 betting or 4 betting im just making up a number without any real knowledge of why and how I got to that figure. Is alot of this player dependent or do some people have some kind of formula they use to calculate there 3 and 4 bet sizes?

Thanks in advance

Moon

Comments

• edited October 2012

Think about why you do it for a start, are you doing it for value because you think they'll call or raise with worse hands? Are you doing it as a bluff?

• edited October 2012
    As Lambert said you need to understand why you are 3 betting. Are you 3 betting to try and induce an aggressive player to shove, 3 betting to get a tight player to fold better hands?

Other things to consider are position, stack sizes and your opponent. As you get more experienced you will get a better feel for sizing of bets and 3/4 bets. I found making 3 bets larger when out of position compared to when in position helps although the most important thing is knowing what you are doing and why as opposed to getting the bet sizing "perfect" 

Matt
  • edited October 2012
    to add to the other posts which are bang on, you can't really go wrong with 3x their raise in position, 4-5x their raise oop as standard

if you're doing it for a bluff then you have to make sure you're doing it against tight opponents who you feel are probably raising in position with the lower tier of their range. most tight regs at this level are gonna open with premiums anyway so probably best not to do it without a hand you're willing to go with. most people on NL4 tables probably aren't gonna fold if for instance:

they make it 20p, you make it 80p, if they only have 50 bigs behind you're probs gonna get shoved on. only a few players at that level you can do this to as a bluff imo.

i play you a fair bit you seem to be doing alright
  • edited October 2012
    2x or 3x everything then you'll be fine ) @100 big blinds

so if someone raises to 12p make it 36p - if two callers and pot is 42p make it £1.20

3 bet for value 100% at micro to start with

if your playing versus deeper stacked player then you can 3/4 bet more, likewise if oppo is short stacked then 3/4 bet less

• edited October 2012
    In Response to 3 Bet Sizing Micro Stakes:
    Hello all newbie question so please bare with me!! Trying to work on my 3 and 4 bet sizing recently looking at what size to make my bets and more importantly why I am making them the size I am! At the mo I feel like when im 3 betting or 4 betting im just making up a number without any real knowledge of why and how I got to that figure. Is alot of this player dependent or do some people have some kind of formula they use to calculate there 3 and 4 bet sizes? Thanks in advance Moon
    Posted by Moonlit81
    Hi Moonlit,

We're going to be taking a look at bet sizing in cash in tonight's Poker School. That's on channel 861 at 9pm.

I'll forward your post on to Richard Orford and Ryan Spittles and get them to answer it specifically for you in that hour!

All the best.
  • edited October 2012
    As said in other posts you need to know why you are 3-betting. Are you raising for value with what should be the best hand? Or are you bluffing with no desire to get to showdown? You should pollarise your range accordingly. 3-bet either with massive hands like QQ+/AK for value or with total junk as a bluff. Don't fall into the trap of 3-betting with KJs, getting called, flopping top pair and going broke. When 3-betting for value you should be betting enough to be playing for stacks come the river.

As for bet sizing make it 3x the pre-flop raise. So if the button open raises at NL4 to 20p make the 3-bet 60p. Then adjust this once you gather reads on the players. If you notice that a play always folds to any 3-bets unless they have a very good pre-flop hand regardless of the size of the 3-bet, then 3-bet them lots (obviously because it's free money) but make your 3-bets small. You will not be continuing with the hand if you get called so you want to make this situation cheep.

Similarly if you notice that a player will call 3-bets no matter what then you can reduce the frequency but increase the size of your 3-bet. So make it 4x the PFR but only with value hands.

The key thing about 3-bets is the implied odds that you are giving the other players. This is the ratio between the cost to call the 3-bet and the size of your stack. When 100BBs deep if you raise to 3x and get 3-bet to 9BBs it's 6BBs to win 100. So to profitably call a 3-bet you need to stack the player 6% of the time. Bad players love to set mine in 3-bet pots because they remember the times that they won a full stack with a pair of twos against a player with aces. Most of the time they will not flop a set and just lose yet more money, and sometimes they will flop a set and still lose.

So in short you want a 3-bet size that is consistant (so that you don't give away bet sizing tells to the observant), is big enough that you can play for stacks with premium hands without overbetting, and small enough that you can 3-bet bluff and c-bet without committing yourself. 3x the PFR is just the right size I think.

At the microstakes I find that 3-betting on its own isn't that effective as a bluff. Often players will call with the junkiest of hands just to "crack dem aces yo!". But 3-betting and then 50% c-bet on a dry flop can be very effective, especially in possition.
  • edited October 2012

Thanks guys some great info there.

Just going back to a comment Pipunch made when he talked about 3 betting out of position and making it 4-5x the original raise as oppose to 3x in position, I have heard this talked about before and the explanation was it decreases our positional disadvantage and gives them less room for manoeuvre post flop? Not 100% sure what this means or how it would work in a hand??? (sorry if these are silly questions lol)

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: 3 Bet Sizing Micro Stakes:
    Thanks guys some great info there. Just going back to a comment Pipunch made when he talked about 3 betting out of position and making it 4-5x the original raise as oppose to 3x in position, I have heard this talked about before and the explanation was it decreases our positional disadvantage and gives them less room for manoeuvre post flop? Not 100% sure what this means or how it would work in a hand??? (sorry if these are silly questions lol)
    Posted by Moonlit81
    The more money that goes in pre-flop then the effective stack to pot ratio will be smaller. For example if there is a single 3x raise and call pre flop then the pot will be 6.5-7.5 BBs while the stack size will be around 100BBs. For an all-in to happen there needs to be a number of bets and raises over all streets. If there is a 5BB open and a 25BB 3-bet then the pot will be around 50BBs and effective stack only 75BB. You effectivly shorten the hand since any meaning full bet on the flop will commit the player to the hand. You can't really bet-fold after putting in a quater of your stack before the flop.

There could be considered an advantage to shortening the hand when you are out of possition. But in micro-stakes where players don't often fold anyway, I think the key to finding an edge is folding when you are behind in spots where poor players would go broke. Keeping pots small pre-flop will help with this.
  • edited October 2012
    ^ what juggledude said was spot on really. it has to be bluff or strength. doing it with Q9s, QT, QJ, KT, KJ etc is just gonna land you in hot water cause if it's called you're likely to be dominated. i'd rather 3-bet with 67s than KJs because you know exactly where you stand when the flop comes down.
  • edited October 2012
    The reason we 3/4 bet more oop is because we are playing out of postion - so therefore we make em pay to play position on us - but if your not playing anyone decent - don't bother - keep it the same - only go bigger with callers inbetween -

just 3 bet big hands for value, don't bother bluffing yet )
    what hands you 3 bet will depends on what hands oppo flat your 3 bet with

good luck, don't make it too complicated )