You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts? NL4

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
No reads, but he seemed to be tightish passive so i thought i could push him around. That and it's shorthanded is the only reason i'm opening such a bad hand from early position.In play i thought i was a genius for squeezing the value but now i look back at it not only was his play abysmal (so i'm not always gonna get max value playing it the same way), but i think if i was to play this hand a million times i could be up against boats/flush draws a lot more often than i originally thought.He'd been showing down some garbage so in play my first thought was same hand weaker kicker or overpair. PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancePipunchSmall blind £0.02£0.02£5.48walesboyBig blind £0.04£0.06£8.87 Your hole cardsA7   tracey374Fold    PipunchRaise £0.10£0.16£5.38walesboyCall £0.08£0.24£8.79Flop  772   PipunchBet £0.12£0.36£5.26walesboyRaise £0.36£0.72£8.43PipunchCall £0.24£0.96£5.02Turn  4   PipunchCheck    walesboyBet £0.72£1.68£7.71PipunchRaise £1.44£3.12£3.58walesboyCall £0.72£3.84£6.99River  10   PipunchAll-in £3.58£7.42£0.00walesboyCall £3.58£11.00£3.41PipunchShowA7   walesboyShowJJ   PipunchWinThree 7s£10.17 £10.17

Comments

• edited October 2012
    u are pretty lucky to get called by a hand that you beat on the river for sure

don't understand turn check clickraise tbh
  • edited October 2012
    i wanted to play for stacks and i thought he'd call.

i didn't think he was a good enough player to get away from overs no matter what the action
    what would you have done differently?
  • edited October 2012
    obviously doesn't matter in this hand but maybe make turn raise a little bigger so that your river jam isn't so big in relation to pot imo

also 3bet flop an option if villain non believer

edit - sort of changed my mind re earlier comment, given reads you should expect to get called by worse enough times
  • edited October 2012
    a tight passive player showing down garbage alot dowsnt sound too correct tbh..?

against a tight passive player who raises flop u can be sure to play pretty much perfect poker, they will mostly have pairs or prob bottom of his pre flop calling range same hand.. wen they raise the flop its 99% over pair to board or a7, now we gotta think best way to get money in vs player type and board, yes we have the eff nuts, but vs player think bout cards that 'kill our action' id think all broadway would as a TP would insta stop bettin on a 'scare card'... ur pretty lucky this player cannot hand read cos its hard for u to have bluffs the way u play turn and also lucky to get called on river, nh tho
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Thoughts? NL4:
    obviously doesn't matter in this hand but maybe make turn raise a little bigger so that your river jam isn't so big in relation to pot imo also 3bet flop an option if villain non believer edit - sort of changed my mind re earlier comment, given reads you should expect to get called by worse enough times
    Posted by NColley
    i think having position in this hand would have been better just so the villain could be setting the price. it's a bit awkward needing to get money in by acting first i think. i think most of the time i don't get paid off even on the turn
    a tight passive player showing down garbage alot dowsnt sound too correct tbh..? against a tight passive player who raises flop u can be sure to play pretty much perfect poker, they will mostly have pairs or prob bottom of his pre flop calling range same hand.. wen they raise the flop its 99% over pair to board or a7, now we gotta think best way to get money in vs player type and board, yes we have the eff nuts, but vs player think bout cards that 'kill our action' id think all broadway would as a TP would insta stop bettin on a 'scare card'... ur pretty lucky this player cannot hand read cos its hard for u to have bluffs the way u play turn and also lucky to get called on river, nh tho
    Posted by LnarinOO
    i thought this game was about playing the player? i thought i would get paid off by worse BECAUSE this player can't hand read. that's why i'm asking the question of me playing the hand right but i've obviously not because most other opponents are folding there?
  • edited October 2012

Think you should remove names from HH.
  • edited October 2012

Why am i not in the least surprised at that reply.
  • edited October 2012
    what....because it's your opinion that it's the decent thing to remove names i should listen to you?

i don't think it makes a difference. if anything if that player sees this thread he'll know it's him and may play better because of the feedback given in here.

i'll do what i think is appropriate not what the majority of the people on here think is appropriate. if it's against the rules i'll remove the name, if it's just a matter of preference but most forum members err on the side of taking the names out then i don't really care, i'll do what i see fit.
  • edited October 2012
    doesn't bother me.
    i admitted i'd played the hand bad
    only excuse was that i was concentrating on another table at the time and just didn't concentrate properly.
  • edited October 2012
    doesn't bother me. i admitted i'd played the hand bad only excuse was that i was concentrating on another table at the time and just didn't concentrate properly.
    Posted by walesboy
    you butchered it but to be fair i don't think i played it very well either

all this taking names out if absolute nonsense, it's just people trying to look like upstanding members of this little community. if you're in a televised tourny what you gonna do, ask them not to show your cards? if someone decides to rail you what you gonna do, ask them not to?

it's a hand between two people, it's not like i'm exposing a comprehensive hand history on him
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Thoughts? NL4 : you butchered it but to be fair i don't think i played it very well either all this taking names out if absolute nonsense, it's just people trying to look like upstanding members of this little community. if you're in a televised tourny what you gonna do, ask them not to show your cards? if someone decides to rail you what you gonna do, ask them not to? it's a hand between two people, it's not like i'm exposing a comprehensive hand history on him
    Posted by Pipunch
    yep i know i did
    don't need to rub it in!! ;)))
    thought you didn't want to show people where they are goign wrong so you can keep getting their money? :))
    change of heart?
    how'd you get on after i left. was that other player still talking?

might see you tonight if you are playing
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Thoughts? NL4 : yep i know i did don't need to rub it in!! ;))) thought you didn't want to show people where they are goign wrong so you can keep getting their money? :)) change of heart? how'd you get on after i left. was that other player still talking? might see you tonight if you are playing
    Posted by walesboy
    yeh well it is better if there are more clueless players out there, but i was only messing with the guy. i like winding people up in the chat box cause it makes them play worse :P

i found where my Dad was playing and got absolutely turned over by him even though he's a crazy bad limper
  • edited October 2012
    lol - how to make friends and influence people -

You come across as a right knob pip ) remove name ()

flop is ok
    no idea why you c/r turn
    and no idea why you shove river

oppo has a hand or a bluff on the flop
    your line from the turn just look like what you have or better

• edited October 2012
    lol - how to make friends and influence people - You come across as a right knob pip ) remove name () flop is ok no idea why you c/r turn and no idea why you shove river oppo has a hand or a bluff on the flop your line from the turn just look like what you have or better
    Posted by rancid
    so if we think we're gonna get paid off what do we do, just check call it down?

my philosophy is to get as much money in when i think i'm in front. i thought he'd call so i shoved. and yes he did have a hand just one that wasn't as good as me.

also not really fussed how i come across online

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Thoughts? NL4 : so if we think we're gonna get paid off what do we do, just check call it down? my philosophy is to get as much money in when i think i'm in front. i thought he'd call so i shoved. and yes he did have a hand just one that wasn't as good as me. also not really fussed how i come across online
    Posted by Pipunch

If you think oppo never has a bluff then get it on on flop or turn
    Cards that come may kill your action
    the line you take just looks super stroung, meaning oppo may fold
    What range do you give oppo when the raise comes in, why check turn - that's not getting money in - that's allowing oppo to check behind worse for pot control
    If you think oppo has hand that they are going with, then get the money in

But I think I'm suggesting stuff that will be discarded so hey ho )
    Enjoy your cucumber, or whatever that is in your hand !
    I wonder what you do with it !

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Thoughts? NL4 : If you think oppo never has a bluff then get it on on flop or turn Cards that come may kill your action the line you take just looks super stroung, meaning oppo may fold What range do you give oppo when the raise comes in, why check turn - that's not getting money in - that's allowing oppo to check behind worse for pot control If you think oppo has hand that they are going with, then get the money in But I think I'm suggesting stuff that will be discarded so hey ho ) Enjoy your cucumber, or whatever that is in your hand ! I wonder what you do with it !
    Posted by rancid
    very mature, and it's a courgette if you must know. and i think we all know what i do with it. they're tasty in pasta and junk.

and he 3bet me on the flop so has to continue his aggression really, which is why i checked to him. makes me look like i'm weak, then the turn makes me look super strong but i didn't think he could get away from it, and i was happy to take the pot down there and then. in this situation the only thought in my head is 'i think i have the best hand, how do i get him to put most of his money in the pot'. if he's getting frisky not believing me a reraise from me on the flop might turn him into a believer and scare him off. he can't really raise me on the flop then shut down on such a blank turn. i tried to put myself in his shoes and my picture of his thought process is 'he's raising....but i have an overpair and he's not raising some random 7. he's bluffing. reraise. see he's checked the turn, i was right, now i go for my value. hmm he's checkraised me, now he's definitely strong i should fold.' and i take down the pot. as it was he didn't even believe that so i shove the river assuming he's not gonna believe i was playing the flush draw or a made hand and am shoving something like AK. i played it exactly as i woulda played a set that housed up on that flop.
  • edited October 2012
    Sigh. 

I probs c/c ott and c/r otr. Don't think it's a horrible line and you got max value. I also sigh a lot when he checks back otr. 
  • edited October 2012
    Prob 3b flop v villain as described

C/c turn, if you do c/r make it bigger, it's easier get stacks in on river
  • edited October 2012
    thanks for the advice all