You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

tricky river spot

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Don't particularly like playing shot handed but as every time i try and play a table at nl40 it breaks down within 10mins i seem to be getting stuck with it alot had better get better.
Thoughts on my line, am i only getting shoved on by a 9 here?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jams88 Small blind   £0.20 £0.20 £37.05
guernsey29 Big blind   £0.40 £0.60 £63.28
  Your hole cards
  • A

carpinon Fold        
jams88 Raise   £1.00 £1.60 £36.05
guernsey29 Call   £0.80 £2.40 £62.48
Flop

jams88 Bet   £1.80 £4.20 £34.25
guernsey29 Call   £1.80 £6.00 £60.68
Turn

• J

jams88 Bet   £4.80 £10.80 £29.45
guernsey29 Call   £4.80 £15.60 £55.88
River

jams88 Bet   £7.20 £22.80 £22.25
guernsey29 Raise   £37.20 £60.00 £18.68

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Why are you betting river?

As played fold
  • edited October 2012
    I don't think you should bet the river but it's a definite fold once u get raised
  • edited October 2012
    IMO check call the river here unless he jams, as played its a fold here!
  • edited October 2012
    consider check calling

i don't think a J or even any other pair is gonna pay you off on that board
  • edited October 2012
    Check calling is pretty dreadful, there are no missed draws to bluff with so he has to be value betting when he bets. 

As played, bet river bigger, now fold.

Edit: Mind is boggled by everyone who says don't bet river.
  • edited October 2012
    if he's never bluffing then what's the point in betting ourselves? what worse is ever going to pay off a bet? a J? on a double paired board? at least with the J in his hand/overs he can bluff thinking he has the best hand once he sees us shut down on the river. firing a bet out only allows him to reraise and puts us in this spot where we could possibly fold the best hand. check calling keeps the pot small when we're unsure. no?
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: tricky river spot:
    if he's never bluffing then what's the point in betting ourselves? what worse is ever going to pay off a bet? a J? on a double paired board? at least with the J in his hand/overs he can bluff thinking he has the best hand once he sees us shut down on the river
    Posted by Pipunch
    what what :s;)
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: tricky river spot : what what :s;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    what i mean is he could be genuinely thinking he's betting for value

if he's never got complete air then surely we can just check call hoping he's betting with worse but thinking he has the best hand. sometimes a hand that isn't JJ or 9x can be betting if we shut down on the river

or is it always completely impossible that someone could make that mistake?

surely AJ KJ AA KK QQ could feel they might have the best hand if we shut down on the river because we look like we're scared of the house

if we check call we're wasting that bet if we're wrong, but by betting we're wasting that bet and all the others we've already put in if we don't even get to showdown.

i'm putting my thoughts down, not saying i'm right, no need for your pointless comment really
  • edited October 2012
    My mind continues to boggle. You think its more likely that villain, who is trying to keep the pot small, will now lead out for value with your assigned range, than he is to call a river bet with the exact same range? Not only do I expect him to snap me off with Jx+, Im excpecting to get paid by 66/77/88/TT here, and the occasional A high.

No offence intended Pipunch, but your logic is contradicting itself.
  • edited October 2012
    My mind continues to boggle. You think its more likely that villain, who is trying to keep the pot small, will now lead out for value with your assigned range, than he is to call a river bet with the exact same range? Not only do I expect him to snap me off with Jx+, Im excpecting to get paid by 66/77/88/TT here, and the occasional A high. No offence intended Pipunch, but your logic is contradicting itself.
    Posted by CoxyLboro
    where did i say it's more likely?

and like i said i'm putting my thoughts down, not saying i'm right. i would rather get to showdown cheaply than to risk being raised and having to fold what could be the best hand. you're saying villain is NEVER EVER raising worse than we have on the river?

and let your mind boggle, i don't know if you've not noticed but i'm not a professional poker player like you, so no need to be a douchebag about it really if my opinion on the hand is wrong then that's how i learn to get better. incase you're blind to question marks my original response to you was full of questions, not statements
  • edited October 2012
    b/f spot

you don't have to have a 4 or a 9

if oppo raises - bluff or not - u decide

don't let worse check behind<<--- important bit - letting oppo's play perfectly against us is so bad for us
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: tricky river spot : where did i say it's more likely? and like i said i'm putting my thoughts down, not saying i'm right. i would rather get to showdown cheaply than to risk being raised and having to fold what could be the best hand. you're saying villain is NEVER EVER raising worse than we have on the river? and let your mind boggle, i don't know if you've not noticed but i'm not a professional poker player like you, so no need to be a douchebag about it really if my opinion on the hand is wrong then that's how i learn to get better. incase you're blind to question marks my original response to you was full of questions, not statements
    Posted by Pipunch
    You are never getting raised by worse (about 97% true, always have to account for someone playing AA weirdly)

Sorry for coming across badly, it's not intentional, I was just surprised to see so many people saying check river.

I'm glad you are taking the time to learn, and good discussions like this will help a lot, so I'll wear my humility hat for the rest of this thread ;)
  • edited October 2012
    Check calling is pretty dreadful, there are no missed draws to bluff with so he has to be value betting when he bets.  As played, bet river bigger, now fold. Edit: Mind is boggled by everyone who says don't bet river.
    Posted by CoxyLboro

Think some people just agree with whoever posts the first reply in fear of making themselves look stupid, or atleast you think, unless they go around only betting with the nuts #facepalm
  • edited October 2012
    What coxy said.

Bet folding miles miles better than check calling.
  • edited October 2012
    Why are you betting river? As played fold
    Posted by grantorino
    Why wouldn't you bet river?

OP why'd you change bet sizing on river? It can be a tell.
  • edited October 2012
    c/c only good here when there are misses draws and villain is likely to bluff at it. if youre checking you should be checking to fold imo and i'd probs b/f like £10
  • edited October 2012
    Well im glad that some people don't hate betting this river as it looked like i had it completely wrong for a abit there. In hindsight i the bet is abit out of sync with my line. Unintentianlly i think this makes my hand look stronger so have to fold when riased here as unlikely to be a bluff. Think 10-12 would have been a better amount though looking back.