You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Open and the awful 8pm start

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
there were 398 in the open tonight and 1st only paid 1k....surely you have to move it back to 9

the small prize pool is putting people off and so is the start time

i barely play here at the moment cos i can never get myself sorted for 8pm

any comments appreciated

Comments

• edited November 2009
    this may have been affected by the tko tonight, or is it regularly low?
  • edited November 2009
    I would have thought 1k was enough for anyone.
    It was affected by the TKO tonight.
  • edited November 2009

Numbers have IMPROVED since the Main Event moved to 8pm, & on several nights, the Guarantee has been upped, too.

It may not suit everybody, but it appears to suit the majority, as it's also allowed the Blind Structures to be improved.

So it's win-win-win.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: The Open and the awful 8pm start:
    Numbers have IMPROVED since the Main Event moved to 8pm, & on several nights, the Guarantee has been upped, too. It may not suit everybody, but it appears to suit the majority, as it's also allowed the Blind Structures to be improved. So it's win-win-win.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'll second that  .. 100% better
  • edited November 2009
    Tuesday has always been a low night.

• edited November 2009
    The 8pm start for the main event is a big leap forward.
    Congratulations to SkyPoker for making this move.
  • edited November 2009

I agree I feel the Open was better at 9pm, It gave me time to put the kids to bed and settle down for the evenings poker.

I have only managed to play one game since it was changed to 8pm ( mind you I did come 2nd )

Please can we have it back at 9?

Shanker1974

• edited November 2009
    I remember that this was discussed at length on the forum and Sky listened to the majority view on the subject before making the change.  Looking at the original posters post count and the other dissenter, they cannot have put much input into the other discussion and it is a bit late now to make complaints about it.  I seem to remember it was a considerable majority that wanted the 8pm start and more importantly a better blind structure to try and eradicate the "c-shoot bingo " mentality that was blighting Sky Poker.

Ultimately whether 8pm is a success or not will be determined by numbers but as Tikay says numbers are up on average, one low entry night does not make a trend.

I don't play the open very much due to bankroll constraints but I would not play it before due to it's poor structure so it gets my business now when I can afford it, I am sure there are many others also in the same position and that is prob why it gets the majority support on the forum.
  • edited November 2009
    i think numbers were low last night because 1= tko      2 = liverpool playing live on tv?????

i agree that 8pm allows a better blind structure therefore better poker, but i havent played at 8 yet.. by the time i get home from work have tea put baby to bed etc.. 8 is a liitle too early.. im usually online around 8.30 - 9...
  • edited November 2009
    i think numbers were low last night because 1= tko      2 = liverpool playing live on tv????? i agree that 8pm allows a better blind structure therefore better poker, but i havent played at 8 yet.. by the time i get home from work have tea put baby to bed etc.. 8 is a liitle too early.. im usually online around 8.30 - 9...
    Posted by daz231023
    Just register and sit out until your online at 8:30pm...... Due to the earlier start and new blind structure you will still have enough chips left because the blind levels last longer lol
  • edited November 2009
    why sit out for half hour when there are plenty of other sites that offer tourney satrting at 8.30/9pm??  if it were live then it would have an advantage for me but the fact that its not live anymore means it doesnt matter what site i play, so no point sitting out for half hour
  • edited November 2009
    why sit out for half hour when there are plenty of other sites that offer tourney satrting at 8.30/9pm??  if it were live then it would have an advantage for me but the fact that its not live anymore means it doesnt matter what site i play, so no point sitting out for half hour
    Posted by daz231023
    Well that was kind of a joke playing on the complaints about the new structure. The tournament (and site) still offer some things that others don't (don't get me wrong other sites offer things not available here either) so it's really a matter of personal preferance isn't it.

I don't play all my poker here. In fact i play very little of my "serious" poker here (not that i take any of it that seriously). This site doesn't (Yet) offer PLO cash so i have sites i preffer to play them on, also the massive GTD tournaments are more readily available on other sites, so i use them for that. What Sky do have though is fun tourny's (The TKO last night was great, i won a fiver........ I lose more than that down the back of my couch, but this was the most fun tourny i have ever played in online), they have approachable pro's or analysts who take time to get to know the community personally and answer questions etc. (at one of the other sites i play on you actually have to have raked a certain amount of money before you can ask a pro of theirs to look at 1 hand and give you advice, that's still a good service to have but you get it here for free)

My advice (not that i'm any expert lol) is take what you like from each site your with, no site will ever get it all right but i use this one for fun.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: The Open and the awful 8pm start : Well that was kind of a joke playing on the complaints about the new structure. The tournament (and site) still offer some things that others don't (don't get me wrong other sites offer things not available here either) so it's really a matter of personal preferance isn't it. I don't play all my poker here. In fact i play very little of my "serious" poker here (not that i take any of it that seriously). This site doesn't (Yet) offer PLO cash so i have sites i preffer to play them on, also the massive GTD tournaments are more readily available on other sites, so i use them for that. What Sky do have though is fun tourny's (The TKO last night was great, i won a fiver........ I lose more than that down the back of my couch, but this was the most fun tourny i have ever played in online), they have approachable pro's or analysts who take time to get to know the community personally and answer questions etc. (at one of the other sites i play on you actually have to have raked a certain amount of money before you can ask a pro of theirs to look at 1 hand and give you advice, that's still a good service to have but you get it here for free) My advice (not that i'm any expert lol) is take what you like from each site your with, no site will ever get it all right but i use this one for fun.
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    100% agree with this point mate

just stating that the fact that the open is no longer live means that sky poker has lost its main asset i feel.. obviously the communtiy and forum part i enjoy (as im here talking to you)
  • edited November 2009

9 o clock was a crazy start time, why try and cram a 5/6 hour tourny into 3 hours? Sky bingo runs 24 hours a day, if u like that type of tournament, theres a game similar all day everyday. If anything, bring it forward to 7pm.

Theres biggish tournys running all the way up till about 11 int there? and sng's 24/7....

• edited November 2009
    I would hope that as the recesion ends and people spend more (also as numbers grow due to the welcome bonus and refer a friend etc) that more live open's will start to come back. i fully agree with you that the Live TV tournys is Sky's main asset. It's what made me open an account here in the first place. like you i tend to only play the open when it's televised and due to some of them being replaced by Bounty Hunter tournys (which just don't suit me at all) i'm playing less frequently in the main events. I'm sure everyone on here (presenters included as they are paid for it lol) wishes to get more live stuff going
  • edited November 2009

As a result of the 8pm start and 10min blinds,

The number of players has gone up,

The average prize pool has gone up,

The skill level has gone up.

It's the best thing Sky Poker has done since it started.

Tuesday is generally quiet but approx 400 runners is ok for a £4000 guarantee. Last night may been busier but there was the TKO and also the mighty Liverpool were playing.

Long live Stevie G

Ed

• edited November 2009
    As a result of the 8pm start and 10min blinds, The number of players has gone up, The average prize pool has gone up, The skill level has gone up. It's the best thing Sky Poker has done since it started. Tuesday is generally quiet but approx 400 runners is ok for a £4000 guarantee. Last night may been busier but there was the TKO and also the mighty Liverpool were playing. Long live Stevie G Ed
    Posted by THESWISS
    Hmmm Swiss, agree with most of your points apart from the "Mighty" Liverpool bit.......... Europa League anyone????

lol
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: The Open and the awful 8pm start : Hmmm Swiss, agree with most of your points apart from the "Mighty" Liverpool bit.......... Europa League anyone???? lol
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    channel 5 or itv 4 for them this year lol
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: The Open and the awful 8pm start : channel 5 or itv 4 for them this year lol
    Posted by daz231023
    Oh so it's on TV then is it lol - Figured this would be one for 5 live :)
  • edited November 2009

9pm i think is quite late during the week, i go to bed at 11pm because im up early every morning, so i tended not to play it during the week. I have since played a couple of the 8pm ones and i find it much better, i can now crash out at 9pm instead lol.

• edited November 2009
    agree with what dohhhhh says thats all it was when it started  at 9.00 just bingo
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: The Open and the awful 8pm start : Hmmm Swiss, agree with most of your points apart from the "Mighty" Liverpool bit.......... Europa League anyone???? lol
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    I'm in denile. Poor season so far but we'll recover.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: The Open and the awful 8pm start : I'll second that  .. 100% better
    Posted by bennydip2
    plus one...its much better imo,strangely though i cant seem to get past the minimum cash amount............
  • edited November 2009
    why not mix it up?A week of 8pm starts followed by a week of 9pm starts.That way it suits everyone.
  • edited November 2009
    I remember that this was discussed at length on the forum and Sky listened to the majority view on the subject before making the change.  Looking at the original posters post count and the other dissenter, they cannot have put much input into the other discussion and it is a bit late now to make complaints about it.  I seem to remember it was a considerable majority that wanted the 8pm start and more importantly a better blind structure to try and eradicate the "c-shoot bingo " mentality that was blighting Sky Poker. Ultimately whether 8pm is a success or not will be determined by numbers but as Tikay says numbers are up on average, one low entry night does not make a trend. I don't play the open very much due to bankroll constraints but I would not play it before due to it's poor structure so it gets my business now when I can afford it, I am sure there are many others also in the same position and that is prob why it gets the majority support on the forum.
    Posted by SolarCarro
    well put ive got to agree with everything you say.....wayne