You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Help and advice with my mtt brm please

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
Moring all
Just wanted thoughts on mtt brm, when i started on sky i would buyin to what i wanted and was happy being a break even player for 2400 games. I won the odd mtt but had no structure or discpline in my game.
In April after taking some advice, and being told that i was a better player than i thought i was; i changed everthing about my game. I decide i would  put £100 in my account and only play £11 mtts and lower the results have been quite good i think, i was £1300 down, now im £1300 up.
Should i stay were i am just playing £11 and lower, so no mains apart from fridays but then i limit myself to buy in only, or do i 'splash it about a bit' for the games i regularly play i have 120 to 240 buyin in my roll.
Thoughts please
Thanks Jon

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Veyr well done.  I'd say keep on playing what you are doing while also taking some shots.  Try and look out for any sats that are around (tonnes at the moment cos of UKOPS).

Keep up the good work!
  • edited October 2012
    mtt variance can be very cruel, both in amount and duration. so if you are wanting to exert smart brm, then I would stick to your current winning formula. You can always look to sat into the main events.

however, you do not mention cash. if you are comfortable at cash then using any winnings at that to cover your bigger buyin mtts makes sense. if you are not a cash player then maybe using a little of your bankroll to start working on your cash game might make sense. I certainly have learnt a lot from my recent focus on cash which has also improved my mtt play.

I also know that when I fancy playing some bigger mtts, like the roller - £110 buyin - and I fail in that and my other mtts on the night it suddenly makes a big dent in my bankroll. Tonight I was 3rd in an mtt which paid for the roller, and my cash winnings covered my other mtts with some change left over. suddenly failing in the big event doesn't taste so bad.

anyways - congrats on your turnaround and glgl for the future, whichever route you take.

• edited October 2012
    Ye basically if you have one good win at an mtt you cant get carried away and think that you can easily do it again. 

The mains are especiall and its kind of an all or nothing game. 

Do whatever you want but remember that you could easily be £100 down quickly from playing the main. Depends if you can cope with that.

If you want to make money from mtts then u should play more of them (multi table ) and play lower stakes to even varience.  
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Help and advice with my mtt brm please:
    Veyr well done.  I'd say keep on playing what you are doing while also taking some shots.  Try and look out for any sats that are around (tonnes at the moment cos of UKOPS). Keep up the good work!
    Posted by scotty77
    thanks Ryan will do.
  • edited October 2012
    mtt variance can be very cruel, both in amount and duration. so if you are wanting to exert smart brm, then I would stick to your current winning formula. You can always look to sat into the main events. however, you do not mention cash. if you are comfortable at cash then using any winnings at that to cover your bigger buyin mtts makes sense. if you are not a cash player then maybe using a little of your bankroll to start working on your cash game might make sense. I certainly have learnt a lot from my recent focus on cash which has also improved my mtt play. I also know that when I fancy playing some bigger mtts, like the roller - £110 buyin - and I fail in that and my other mtts on the night it suddenly makes a big dent in my bankroll. Tonight I was 3rd in an mtt which paid for the roller, and my cash winnings covered my other mtts with some change left over. suddenly failing in the big event doesn't taste so bad. anyways - congrats on your turnaround and glgl for the future, whichever route you take.
    Posted by GELDY
    Thanks for reply geldy, I was sat next to you in roller which i late regd for by mistake i thought i regd for the 2030, nevermind hey, was a bit miffed but held it together in my other mts and won the 2130 so very happy. I don't play cash now but made something i could look at? what level?
  • edited October 2012
    Ye basically if you have one good win at an mtt you cant get carried away and think that you can easily do it again.  The mains are especiall and its kind of an all or nothing game.  Do whatever you want but remember that you could easily be £100 down quickly from playing the main. Depends if you can cope with that. If you want to make money from mtts then u should play more of them (multi table ) and play lower stakes to even varience.  
    Posted by sighcall
    tar for reply but think your missing the point i play alot and multi table and easily lose 10/ 15 mtts on the trot, the money doesn't matter as i am playing well within my br. i know that if i play right at my level then i can win.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Help and advice with my mtt brm please : Thanks for reply geldy, I was sat next to you in roller which i late regd for by mistake i thought i regd for the 2030, nevermind hey, was a bit miffed but held it together in my other mts and won the 2130 so very happy. I don't play cash now but made something i could look at? what level?
    Posted by j3ono
    given your obvious skill I would start at maybe NL10/NL20 and see how that goes. Do multitable and remember your tourney life is not at stake - only your bankroll.

lol with the roller - I was next out after you - but still - top 40% not bad given the quality of opposition.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Help and advice with my mtt brm please : given your obvious skill I would start at maybe NL10/NL20 and see how that goes. Do multitable and remember your tourney life is not at stake - only your bankroll. lol with the roller - I was next out after you - but still - top 40% not bad given the quality of opposition.
    Posted by GELDY

ok will wait til next month as theres the cash promo going on, reading ryans(waller02) thread it does seem a cruel tale cash so best keep wits about me ;')
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Help and advice with my mtt brm please :   ok will wait til next month as theres the cash promo going on, reading ryans(waller02) thread it does seem a cruel tale cash so best keep wits about me ;')
    Posted by j3ono
    hi m8....yeah cash does take some getting used to but it is fun, the standard at 20/30nl isn't anything you couldnt cope with but if your luck isnt in then you can easily lose a few buyins in a short space of time.....think you should hve a crack at it though, I find they make a welcome change from mtt's.....plus knowing you can stand and switch off whenever you want is also good to know especially if you need an early night etc....

gl with whatever you decide
  • edited October 2012
    We've chatted about this already and I know you're in a similar situation to me regarding bank roll and MTT's in general.

I always do far better when I just stick to what I know which is MTT's within my BR.  Soon as I start splashing around on cash tables I get over confident and start losing (as I'm a terrible cash player!).

I saym if ur enjoying it, stick with doing what ur doing, and try to sattelite into a few bigger comps, ie. Rollers and UKOPS, it only takes on big BINK in one of these and your Bank Roll is suddenly very healthy.
  • edited October 2012
    j3ono im sure your luck changed, after binkie lent you his binkbox, from what ive been told he wants it back now, good luck playing without it.

Gary
  • edited October 2012
    stick to mtts as thats what u like doing but u can go along time without a cash so for a steady profit with your bankroll i would play cash maybe 20 nl if i can crush it im sure u can good luck whatever u decide to do :)
  • edited October 2012
    jno try 30p dym,s from what iv seen of your play ur a fishy donk....... <(((((((.>....  lol lol.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Help and advice with my mtt brm please : hi m8....yeah cash does take some getting used to but it is fun, the standard at 20/30nl isn't anything you couldnt cope with but if your luck isnt in then you can easily lose a few buyins in a short space of time.....think you should hve a crack at it though, I find they make a welcome change from mtt's.....plus knowing you can stand and switch off whenever you want is also good to know especially if you need an early night etc.... gl with whatever you decide
    Posted by waller02
    Thanks Ryan for reply, great cash last night btw, good points will take on board thanks
  • edited October 2012
    jno try 30p dym,s from what iv seen of your play ur a fishy donk....... <(((((((. />....  lol lol.
    Posted by wayne1958

hee yours fish is very lame Wayne <((((((>< 

• edited October 2012
    We've chatted about this already and I know you're in a similar situation to me regarding bank roll and MTT's in general. I always do far better when I just stick to what I know which is MTT's within my BR.  Soon as I start splashing around on cash tables I get over confident and start losing (as I'm a terrible cash player!). I saym if ur enjoying it, stick with doing what ur doing, and try to sattelite into a few bigger comps, ie. Rollers and UKOPS, it only takes on big BINK in one of these and your Bank Roll is suddenly very healthy.
    Posted by Slykllist
    Thanks for reply Si, good point i just didn't get that buzz on cash before, but now i have structure it could work?
    Will try more sats for bigger events by do like to see the mrs so its getting that balance right? 
  • edited October 2012
    j3ono im sure your luck changed, after binkie lent you his binkbox, from what ive been told he wants it back now, good luck playing without it. Gary
    Posted by Largearce
    between us this Gary, there could be more than 1 lol.
  • edited October 2012
    the difficulty starting out is not knowing who the regs are, and how they play. so start very ABC and take notes. and try to avoid tables like this one, at least to start with.

NL30

GELDY £81.15
    AJ_Rockets £80.99
    elbows7 £41.27
    waller02 £20.02
    VINEY73 £62.35
    DOHHHHHHH £29.13
  • edited October 2012
    stick to mtts as thats what u like doing but u can go along time without a cash so for a steady profit with your bankroll i would play cash maybe 20 nl if i can crush it im sure u can good luck whatever u decide to do :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Cheers Steve for reply, guess if a donk can what have i to lose, pmsl. Run good in your KING promo efforts.
  • edited October 2012
    the difficulty starting out is not knowing who the regs are, and how they play. so start very ABC and take notes. and try to avoid tables like this one, at least to start with. NL30 GELDY £81.15 AJ_Rockets £80.99 elbows7 £41.27 waller02 £20.02 VINEY73 £62.35 DOHHHHHHH £29.13
    Posted by GELDY
    Thanks Geldy, very hard now theres no league table ;( Guess i can always use the KiNG promo league as a start.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Help and advice with my mtt brm please : Thanks Ryan for reply, great cash last night btw, good points will take on board thanks
    Posted by j3ono
    likewise m8...wd on your win :)