You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sounds silly but is there anyway of folding this on this flop?

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
opponent is never raising light i dont with with jacks less so it can only be aq ak  aa or same hand as me PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceKING2600Small blind £0.10£0.10£22.05ravidixo07Big blind £0.20£0.30£9.49 Your hole cardsKK   donkeyplopRaise £0.60£0.90£19.40cityslickeFold    haidyboyFold    IDONKCALLURaise £1.80£2.70£15.85KING2600Fold    ravidixo07Fold    donkeyplopRaise £4.00£6.70£15.40IDONKCALLUCall £2.80£9.50£13.05Flop  6QQ   donkeyplopBet £4.75£14.25£10.65IDONKCALLUCall £4.75£19.00£8.30Turn  4   donkeyplopAll-in £10.65£29.65£0.00

Comments

• edited October 2012
    i'd assume he's not some total mug but yeh it's an insta fold for me. he's 4 betting pre with AA, AKs, KK or QQ, MAYBE JJ cause of your image, but i don't think he's betting that heavy OOP with JJ or AKs so i think you're either splitting or are crushed.

why are you flatting pre? get it in. by calling you're only gonna see flops where you think it's safe and then do your money against AA or it's easy for an A, J or Q to fold where you have to start assuming he could have setted up which means you're never gonna be sure. i would jam pre cause i'm never laying K's down, and if he's got the AA then w/e

sometimes you're wrong to fold but i think too often we're going broke here to make it +EV

if you're calling the flop what are you expecting to see on the turn? if you think he's bluffing which is hardly ever gonna be the case then you have to keep calling and if not then just lay it down on the flop cause there are 2 cards left in the deck that you're happy to see on the turn

the ONLY thing you beat that i think he could be doing this with is AK and he picked up the flush draw on the turn but still don't think it's gonna happen enough to make it profitable. think 9/10 times here we get stacked. as someone famous once said 'the 4bet is usually aces' so i'm gonna say he had the bullets
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Sounds silly but is there anyway of folding this on this flop?:
    i'd assume he's not some total mug but yeh it's an insta fold for me. he's 4 betting pre with AA, AKs, KK or QQ, MAYBE JJ cause of your image, but i don't think he's betting that heavy OOP with JJ or AKs so i think you're either splitting or are crushed. why are you flatting pre? get it in. by calling you're only gonna see flops where you think it's safe and then do your money against AA or it's easy for an A, J or Q to fold where you have to start assuming he could have setted up which means you're never gonna be sure. i would jam pre cause i'm never laying K's down, and if he's got the AA then w/e sometimes you're wrong to fold but i think too often we're going broke here to make it +EV if you're calling the flop what are you expecting to see on the turn? if you think he's bluffing which is hardly ever gonna be the case then you have to keep calling and if not then just lay it down on the flop cause there are 2 cards left in the deck that you're happy to see on the turn the ONLY thing you beat that i think he could be doing this with is AK and he picked up the flush draw on the turn but still don't think it's gonna happen enough to make it profitable. think 9/10 times here we get stacked. as someone famous once said 'the 4bet is usually aces' so i'm gonna say he had the bullets
    Posted by Pipunch

+1 to almost all of this.

I think we can call flop/fold turn tho.

• edited October 2012
    haha someone agrees with me! it's a miracle! lol
  • edited October 2012
    I called pre coz if i shove i know hes only calling with aces should of got away on this flop sigh :/
  • edited October 2012
    is he ever 4betting oop without aces either though?

running some numbers, you're about a 60/40 shot pre against his 4bet range, on the flop you're a massive underdog assuming his range is something like AA-QQ AKs AQs
  • edited October 2012
    its really hard to fold kings pre to a 4 bet easy to say now when he aa but harder to do if u was playing 
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Sounds silly but is there anyway of folding this on this flop?:
    its really hard to fold kings pre to a 4 bet easy to say now when he aa but harder to do if u was playing 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    no i appreciate this and if we all did in play what we said on analysis we'd probably be millionaires (except me ;) )

in play i shove pre, in play on the flop i would probably call down because im spewy and wouldn't be bothered working out ranges and such

if the exact same situation arose without a time limit counting you down and having 15 seconds to work it all out it's an easy fold. it's probably those that are able to make these tough laydowns that are bigger winners because they never lose big when it's -EV but still unfoldable to 99% of people
  • edited October 2012
    I don't understand the pre action

What do you think oppo thinks you flat a 4 bet with ?

You can't set mine
    Does oppo 4 bet QQ/JJ and your hoping he stacks on 8 high flop

If it's a 8 high flop you get it in anyway and if oppo turns AA - same result

just shove pre )
    If you shoves what does oppo call with, or do you think oppo thinks you only going to shove AA
    Well he does now )

as played call down and laugh then sigh when oppo turns AQ

gg
  • edited October 2012
    i'd assume he's not some total mug but yeh it's an insta fold for me. he's 4 betting pre with AA, AKs, KK or QQ, MAYBE JJ cause of your image, but i don't think he's betting that heavy OOP with JJ or AKs so i think you're either splitting or are crushed. why are you flatting pre? get it in. by calling you're only gonna see flops where you think it's safe and then do your money against AA or it's easy for an A, J or Q to fold where you have to start assuming he could have setted up which means you're never gonna be sure. i would jam pre cause i'm never laying K's down, and if he's got the AA then w/e sometimes you're wrong to fold but i think too often we're going broke here to make it +EV if you're calling the flop what are you expecting to see on the turn? if you think he's bluffing which is hardly ever gonna be the case then you have to keep calling and if not then just lay it down on the flop cause there are 2 cards left in the deck that you're happy to see on the turn the ONLY thing you beat that i think he could be doing this with is AK and he picked up the flush draw on the turn but still don't think it's gonna happen enough to make it profitable. think 9/10 times here we get stacked. as someone famous once said 'the 4bet is usually aces' so i'm gonna say he had the bullets
    Posted by Pipunch
    How rude!!

I must have been away too long.............
  • edited October 2012

If you're going to flat the 4-bet pre-flop it has to be because you think he's going to fold some of his 4-bet range to a 5-bet. That means his 4-bet range has to be alot broader than AA, KK, QQ or AK. If he's 4-betting those hands, it's to get it in.

So you need to have some history with the opponent to think that he perceives your 3-betting range to be very wide, so he can 4-bet bluff, and he must believe you can now call the 4-bet with a wider range than KK or AA. If that history doesn't exist, then in a vacuum we should assume that oppo's 4-betting range is only AA, KK, QQ and AK and should get it in pre-flop.

As played, you've flatted the 4-bet to allow him to continue bluffing you and to give QQ and AK the chance to fire on good boards for you. A Queen-high board is obviously bad because it makes a set for QQ, but with two Queens on the flop we should be less concerned about that. Now you have to call down, as that was the plan when calling the pre-flop 4-bet.

I wouldn't like calling the flop then folding the turn. That would be terrible in my eyes. With £8 back and £19 in the middle, we know that our opponent is going to put the rest in when we call the flop. For calling the 4-bet pre-flop to be correct we have to think that our opponent is going to be able to put us on hands like JJ, TT, 99 or AK type hands.

So if his pre-flop 4-betting range is wider than AK, AA, KK and QQ and if he perceives your calling range to be wider than AA and KK, then your pre-flop call is fine. Having done that, you have to call him down on this board. (Though obviously this is a tighther decision than if the board had come something like 776 instead of QQ6. More of a wide pre-flop 4-betting range is going to contain a Queen than a 7 and there are more draws that could continue on a board like 776. Still, I think you've got to call him down)

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Sounds silly but is there anyway of folding this on this flop? : How rude!! I must have been away too long.............
    Posted by donkeyplop
    haha well from his description of the 'villain' and the fact that i don't know you made me say that. ps i use the word mug as others might use 'fish' or 'donk'
  • edited October 2012
    If you're going to flat the 4-bet pre-flop it has to be because you think he's going to fold some of his 4-bet range to a 5-bet. That means his 4-bet range has to be alot broader than AA, KK, QQ or AK. If he's 4-betting those hands, it's to get it in. So you need to have some history with the opponent to think that he perceives your 3-betting range to be very wide, so he can 4-bet bluff, and he must believe you can now call the 4-bet with a wider range than KK or AA. If that history doesn't exist, then in a vacuum we should assume that oppo's 4-betting range is only AA, KK, QQ and AK and should get it in pre-flop. As played, you've flatted the 4-bet to allow him to continue bluffing you and to give QQ and AK the chance to fire on good boards for you. A Queen-high board is obviously bad because it makes a set for QQ, but with two Queens on the flop we should be less concerned about that. Now you have to call down, as that was the plan when calling the pre-flop 4-bet. I wouldn't like calling the flop then folding the turn. That would be terrible in my eyes. With £8 back and £19 in the middle, we know that our opponent is going to put the rest in when we call the flop. For calling the 4-bet pre-flop to be correct we have to think that our opponent is going to be able to put us on hands like JJ, TT, 99 or AK type hands. So if his pre-flop 4-betting range is wider than AK, AA, KK and QQ and if he perceives your calling range to be wider than AA and KK, then your pre-flop call is fine. Having done that, you have to call him down on this board. (Though obviously this is a tighther decision than if the board had come something like 776 instead of QQ6. More of a wide pre-flop 4-betting range is going to contain a Queen than a 7 and there are more draws that could continue on a board like 776. Still, I think you've got to call him down)
    Posted by BorinLoner
    why?

IDCU says himself that he's never 4betting light so why compound the pre flop mistake? KK is miles behind the 4bet range on that board from the description of villain so you don't HAVE to call down just cause you've called pre. that's just like saying 'you've made your bed now you have to lie in it' when we don't have to at all, we can fold and not make the same mistake pre next time. on that board against a looser 3bet range we have less than 25% equity. even if you add in JJ you're still behind
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Sounds silly but is there anyway of folding this on this flop? : why? IDCU says himself that he's never 4betting light so why compound the pre flop mistake? KK is miles behind the 4bet range from the description of villain so you don't HAVE to call down just cause you've called pre. that's just like saying 'you've made your bed now you have to lie in it' when we don't have to at all, we can fold and not make the same mistake pre next time.
    Posted by Pipunch
    You're coming at it from the point of view that calling pre-flop was a mistake. It may well be a mistake on this occasion but the premise of it, if it's based on alot of history, can be sound.

The whole idea is that the opponent can be 4-betting us light and believes that we may be calling that pre-flop 4-bet light. If that's the case, then we get more value by flatting the 4-bet pre-flop and allowing him to fire with those bluffing hands to gain extra value than we would by forcing him to fold all those hands pre-flop.

Those are the reasons why you would flat that pre-flop 4-bet. If this dynamic of light 4-betting doesn't exist, then there's no reason to flat the pre-flop 4-bet at all. As I said; in a vacuum you should just get it in pre-flop.

If you've got to the flop with someone who has a tight 4-betting range then the mistake was pre-flop. If you've got to the flop against someone with a wide 4-betting range, then folding post-flop would be a mistake. There's no situation where you can play the hand flawlessly and fold post flop on a safe'ish board.
  • edited October 2012
    no you said 'as played..' and then went onto describe some other stuff and then added in the comment about having to call down. IDCU says he's never 4betting light and he's asking whether he should have folded on the flop, i think that's pretty clear as to what the answer is and that the dynamic of 4betting light, especially when oop, is non-existant.
  • edited October 2012
    no you said 'as played..' and then went onto describe some other stuff and then added in the comment about having to call down. IDCU says he's never 4betting light and he's asking whether he should have folded on the flop, i think that's pretty clear as to what the answer is and that the dynamic of 4betting light, especially when oop, is non-existant.
    Posted by Pipunch
    "As played" the only reason to have done what we've done pre-flop is that the 4-better can be 4-betting light. If there was no reason to think he's 4-betting light then we've already made the mistake.

"If you're going to flat the 4-bet pre-flop it has to be because you think he's going to fold some of his 4-bet range to a 5-bet. That means his 4-bet range has to be alot broader than AA, KK, QQ or AK. If he's 4-betting those hands, it's to get it in.

"So you need to have some history with the opponent to think that he perceives your 3-betting range to be very wide, so he can 4-bet bluff, and he must believe you can now call the 4-bet with a wider range than KK or AA. If that history doesn't exist, then in a vacuum we should assume that oppo's 4-betting range is only AA, KK, QQ and AK and should get it in pre-flop."

This makes the post pretty clear. You can't take a single sentence or a couple of words, remove them from the context of the entire post, and then suggest they mean something else.

Telling IDCU what we think his mistakes were in this particular hand isn't helpful or relevant. Suggesting what he can do in similar spots in future is helpful and relevant.

The next time he's facing a 4-bet holding KK he needs to know whether his opponent is 4-betting a tight or a wide range. If he thinks his opponent can be wide, then calling can be fine but folding on a safe board would then be a mistake. If his opponent is only ever 4-betting strong hands then it would be a mistake to call and he should look to get it in pre-flop.

...unless of course he's never seen the guy 4-bet at all in thosands of hands without AA. Which would be a pretty good argument for either folding to the 4-bet or not 3-betting at all.
  • edited October 2012
    i fail to see how you can say 'as played' then go on to describe what we should have done preflop depending on what we know of the villain.

as played means as it was played, which means we go to a flop. you then said we should call it down. as played is coupled with the context of the hand, not your forum post
  • edited October 2012
    Telling IDCU what we think his mistakes were in this particular hand isn't helpful or relevant. Suggesting what he can do in similar spots in future is helpful and relevant.

again no.

people dont learn from being told what to do. highlighting his mistakes so he can understand WHY they're mistakes is better than just saying 'on this board do this'

although i fully understand you're a forum 'reg' and therefore your nonsense will be treated as gospel even though you're completely wrong
  • edited October 2012
    Telling IDCU what we think his mistakes were in this particular hand isn't helpful or relevant. Suggesting what he can do in similar spots in future is helpful and relevant. again no. people dont learn from being told what to do. highlighting his mistakes so he can understand WHY they're mistakes is better than just saying 'on this board do this' although i fully understand you're a forum 'reg' and therefore your nonsense will be treated as gospel even though you're completely wrong
    Posted by Pipunch
    I can't be bothered arguing with you, since anyone can see that you and I are actually saying broadly the same things, just in different ways. You seem to view everything that's said to you as though it's either agreeing with you or is adversarial. I have no interest in being an adversary to anyone.

However, if you keep insulting and belittling people as you have done here and before, you'll find that nobody cares to listen to you.
  • edited October 2012
    who am i belittling?

you made a statement about having to call down cause the board paired QQ which makes QQ in his hand less likely. i can copy and paste it for you if you want.

i'm not bothered if anyone listens to me. i can agree with you for the sake of being accepted by the forum, or i can call you out on the nonsense you're peddling, if only just to get a better handle on it for myself so i can actually get a sense of what you're trying to say.

is that how it works here then? you come out with rubbish, i directly quote you, you then basically dispute it and make some underhanded comment about my previous posts to try and divert the attention?
  • edited October 2012
    I write a post expressing my opinions. You then question an element of that post, so I redraft and explain in different terms. You then return to the original post to pick out two words which you feel do not make sense. So for the third time, I repost the same sort of thing, explaining how I believe those two words fit in the context of the original post. Once again I made my intentions clear and explained just how those words should be viewed and how the meaning of them is altered by removing them from the previous, qualifying statements.

Your response was to then suggest that as I'm a forum "reg" my words would be treated as "gospel" even though I'm "completely wrong". I imagine you can see how these words are belittling. Besides which, if my word were treated as gospel, I wouldn't have been involved in many previous debates across many, many threads with the likes of grantorino, lambert, percival, rancid, IDCU etc... On none of those occasions have any of the other forum "regs" felt the need to nitpick over particular words which were used once, explained, clarified and clarified again. Nor have they ever suggested that others would agree with them or anyone else, simply because the person in question is a forum reg. It should also be noted that I have never met any of the mentioned players. The only reason I or anyone else listens to them is that they put a great deal of effort into offering their opinion and doing so in a respectful, non-confrontational manner.

On the other hand you have been involved on numerous occasions in posting confrontational, sometimes insulting comments. This is why several people have suggested to you that you need to dial it down a bit. If you think someone is "peddling nonsense", the way to express it is to say "I don't agree... Can you clarify... here's my viewpoint." Once that matter is clarified, what need is there to return to it?
  • edited October 2012
    Why on earth would you flat pre to fold on this flop? 
    TBH you should just be getting it in pre and the only reason you would flat is because he is capable of 4bet bluffing or a lot wider than AA,KK,AK.
  • edited October 2012
    Surely he gets it in lighter than AA, get it in pre sir