You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Raise Fold or Call?

Before I start this is not a brag post or a bad beat post (lady fingers).

I purely post hands if I think either people would be interested and would like to offer their opinion, or I need some advice as to the way I played the hand.

I get fed up of people making pointless one line comments that are worthless to anyone!

If you think I play a hand terribly, then put your argument accross.  I welcome constructive criticism with open arms. 

Any ways, hears a hand I played earlier and wondered what others would have done. 

A) call the river bet
b) rr the river bet
c) fold
d) should of raised on turn and folded if oppo calls rr.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £142.45
 Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £24.87
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

Fold     
v1Call  £1.00 £2.50 £121.15
BIGSHANN Raise  £4.00 £6.50 £163.83
Fold     
 Fold     
 Call  £3.00 £9.50 £21.87
v1Call  £3.00 £12.50 £118.15
Flop

• Q
  • A

Check     
v1Check     
BIGSHANN Bet  £9.38 £21.88 £154.45
 Fold     
v1Call  £9.38 £31.26 £108.77
Turn

v1Check     
BIGSHANN Check     
River

v1Bet  £36.00 £67.26 £72.77

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Bet turn.
    His line looks a lot like a flush so river is probably a fold. Definitely don't raise river - what worse hand is gonna call?
  • edited November 2009

Personally, if i was v1... after your check on the turn, i'd of made the same bet even with a raggy ace maybe even KQ/ QJ as the check to me on the turn says you either didn't like the turn card, or you didn't like the call from the flop... so a bet like that could well take the pot down, if your hand wasn't as strong as it is... 

If I was v1 and you re-raised... to me it looks like i'd of been trapped by a flush or bigger hand and would have had to pass (if i didn't have a flush or trips)

Coming from your angle, I would have also checked on the turn, incase he had made the flush and was trying to induce a continuation bet or makes an optmistic call for around £20 hoping for another club or even a 10 to river.. if he's got a hand like KcJs he may have been able to justify the call on the flop.

On the river due to the size of v1's stack and the bet after your check on the turn, I probably would of just called.
    A re-raise leaves you as good as committed, as he probs would go all in... unless his hand is junk then he folds... and if he does go all in.. the pressure is on you.. you have to think does he have trips? or a flush? or does he possibly have a raggy A which he's hit 2 pair with? or AK/AJ? which he may think is good enough?

But because your hand looks good to win in a showdown..  i'd ask myself is it worth risking a re-raise? he's only going to push if he thinks he's beat you...
    Due to your positional control of the pot and his possible hands.. I would rather see the cards on their backs and make the call leaving myself with a stack of £118 with a good chance to make it £220, rather than a stack of £46 risking getting beat from a stronger hand!

Very interesting hand.. and knowing myself... I'd of been short stacked with around £30 and just pushed all in after flop :D hoping for a call off of AK, AJ or a straight draw.. maybe even flush draw (not after the turn though :D)

• edited November 2009
    THINK IM BETTING BIGGER AFTER THE FOLP YOUR HAND ONLY GETTING BETTER WITH ACES OR QUEENS THAT BOARD HAS FLUSH AND STRAIGHT DRAWERS TO IT THE CHECK AFTER THE TURN EITHER MEANS HES HIT THE FLUSH OR YOUVE LET HIM SEE THE RIVER FOR FREE. HIS ALL IN IS REPRESENTING HE HAS BUT THERES ALSO A STRAIGHT DRAW IF HES CALLED YOUR FIRST RAISE WITH 7 4 !
    SO OUT OF YOU OPTIONS IM SAYING D BUT PERSONALLY I WOULD HAVE TRIED TO KILL THE HAND AFTER THE FLOP 
  • edited November 2009
    I'm calling as I agree with Cummins that many players would fire a river bet with much worse after u have checked the turn. 
  • edited November 2009
    I would also just flat call to bet on the river.
    The chances are he is just trying to take the pot after your check on the turn.
    I believe he has a rag A and has hit his two pair but not worth risking a re-raise.
  • edited November 2009
    How much history do you have with villain? The line you took I  would call the river.  You have underepped your hand and he couldnt know how strong you were.  He would have to know you were pretty strong if his river overbet was for value.  In his mind you could have 99 tt jj even kk.  I dont mind the turn check for pot control, but it does send out a msg of weakness to villain,  so as played I call.

nice 1 for not posting results btw, but please do when you are done with the thread ;-)

• edited November 2009
    Like OMahonyO said it all depends on the opponent. If he is steady, ABC player or quite tight im folding. Lets be honest when he calls your flop bet and the 3rd club comes on the turn, the chances are he is only going to bet if he DOESN'T have the flush, otherwise he will risk 'scaring' you away (although i know you can never scare the bigshann off a hand). So the check looks more likey to be a flush than not imo. With the river being the classic im going to overbet this looking like a steal.

I think its very much the betsize that is telling me to fold. If he had AK, AJ he would not bet so much as he knows his hand is not that strong, im guessing if he had AK, AJ that sort of hand he would of bet around £20-£25.

If your opponent has often made big river bets or prone to making bluff bets then its obviously and insta call
  • edited November 2009
    bet the turn big dont like the look of that flush draw
  • edited November 2009
    Bet/fold turn.

Without previous and as played, fold river.
  • edited November 2009

Sorry I did not reply earlier but was out last night.

Only 2nd time playing live cash tables - what an eye opener!!!!  I might be doing more often!!!

To the hand.

I should of mentioned by oppos style: he likes to see a lot of flops but rarely raising it up.  Normally if he makes a bet on the end like this he has the cards.

I took the same line as Flash said.  I folded!  I put him on the flush all day long.

May be I should of bet/fold the turn as Lady fingers said, but was intending to call any river bet of under half the pot. 

The overbet initially made me think bluff, but also and more probable, representing a bluff/overbet whilst holding the flush as I expected.

I suppose Ladyfingers is right though I should of bet turn and then folded.

Thanks for comments guys/gals.

• edited November 2009
    If he's a fish you can make it like 6/7 pf and defiantly should be potting flop and turn. Checking turn and calling river allows the villain to play perfectly against all ur range. Your losing so much value from worse A's, Q's and sd.