You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Keeping disciplined

I have an awful habbit of losing discipline and making a bad move which I know I shouldn't of made... just because I think someone is bluffing.

My friends often say I talk a better game than I play.. because of my tendancy to try and push people off hands online and lack of discipline.

Live I don't seem to have a problem because I can see a pulse racing or know who I'm up against..

But online I'm a very weak player because I have no discipline..

Anyone got any tips on how to get out of this online mindset? or even any little methods they use to keep disciplined..

Comments

• edited November 2009
    ITS MORE DIFFICULT TO GET PEOPLE OF HANDS ON HERE PEOPLE SEEM TO CALL WITH ANYTHING. I GUESS LIVE IF YOU GET TURNED OVER BY YOUR OWN BAD PLAY PEOPLE CAN SEE YOU. SO YOUR PRIDE ALSO TAKES A BATTERING ONLINE WERE ALL MOSTLY ANNOYAMOUS SO ARE LESS WORRIED ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK
  • edited November 2009

Great point.. I do it myself!... makes me think is it worth me playing online.. but enjoy poker too much not to!!

• edited November 2009
    i find that a 6t blonde, with a basque, boots, mask and whip keeps me well and truely disciplined.

can pass contact on, if required. 
  • edited November 2009
    i find the hard thing on line is too stop my mind wandering and then I start on the community site or trailing the net.

badboy is spot on about the play on here. if i keep my concentration then I do remember to play with decent cards otherwise you get an all in with 43 off suit. and they hit.
  • edited November 2009
    meant to add. i do find it useful to either listen to music or watch some sport. that tends to keep me focused. otherwise i am very loose.
  • edited November 2009

Its not about discipline, if you think an opponent is weak, and u can push him off of it, then you should. Surely?

Maybe you need to practise reading players. Nothing wrong with trying to make moves to get a bloke off the hand, Nt sure if you play cash or tournys, but definately if you try the play in a cash game, and the bloke calls you with a 'marginal hand', you can use this to your advantage and make the same move later on in the session with the nuts.

Tournys maybe different, as there may be no 'later in the session' as it could cost you your tourny, but still, trying to bully and put pressure on is definately the way to go.

Know your opponent first, make sure you 'put him on 2 cards' and ask yourself, is he good enough to fold?

If not, this could be where discipline comes in, as waiting for a better spot is the way to go. But waiting for a better opportunity to 'win' some chips rather than waiting for aces/the chips to be given to you, is definately the way to go!

DOHH

• edited November 2009
    I find myself in a similar position to what you describe in this thread, recently though ive really been trying to get to the bottom of it... If your like me you may be a high level thinker and can beat a game when you are on your A game.

I have found out though, after reading up and working my game that my A game doesnt need polishing, its my C game (C game = tilt, not concentrating, not playing correct level etc) that let me down. I have seen it described like this....

If your A game makes you 10 big blinds per hour, your B game breaks even and your C game loses you 20 big blinds per hour, not only are you a losing player but you are also less successful than this person who only makes 5 big blinds per hour with his A game, breaks even with his B game and only loses 2 big blinds when playing their C game.

So if your like me you need to leave the table if your not playing your A game, winning poker requires concentration, confidence and playing to your means. hope this makes sense, gl m8
  • edited November 2009
    ive done this often, i dont want to lose a pot and end up losing chips

what i remind myself often is players dont bluff as much as you think, when you've got KK and an ace comes on the board hes betting at you, 95% of the time you're behind

happens to us all, we chase hands we dont want to lose, the real winner players that do it for a living are experienced enough not to throw these chips away :)
  • edited November 2009
    The best thing to remember about staying disciplined is that each and every hand is a new chance to improve the way you're playing. They're all separate from one another, so even if you play a hand like a donk, the next one is a fresh chance to get back on track.

Each street has it's own unique set of circumstances, and there are so many nuances to the game that keeping your chin up and making the best decision possible in this exact situation is what we should all be aiming for, in my opinion.

That and winning shed loads of money.