You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

$10k 1-2 months?

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
Hey guys. 

Don't currently post much on here, although I do read quite a few threads. 

I'm thinking about starting a challenge in the near future where I start with 1.25k (50 buy ins at 25nl) and make that 11.25k (10k profit) in a certain period of time. 2 months max, and probs 1 month minimum. I'm basically asking for advice on whether this is possible within a month? 

Obv you need to know some stuff about my game so here goes. I used to grind 25nl on ***** and managed to win around $1.6k in a 4 month period excluding rakeback. I'm also around $3k in profit on stars mtts. I then had a long break and moved to ***** ***** where I grinded 25nl again and ended with similar profit over a 2 month period, and again I'm about $1k in profit on their mtts. I've also recently grinded a little on the British site Sky Poker where I played 20nl for a couple of weeks and made a few hundred, and I'm around £2.5k profit on their tournaments.

I view myself as a pretty good tag player who's capable of beating 25-100nl. The reason I've never moved above nl25 is because I'm currently a uni student and the profit I make is used to pay for rent, living, food etc.. so I've never wanted to put a large amount of money at risk. I'm mainly a 6max cash player and that's where I believe my best game is. My vpip/pfr stats on pp and stars are 19/16 and 21/18 respectively. Obv I have wayyy more stats but don't wanna fill this page up with numbers.

If I do go ahead with this challenge, I'll be playing most (if not every) days grinding 9+ tables. I'll start at 25nl (50 bins) and move up to 50nl properly when I reach 2.5k, but probs add a few tables around the $2k mark. And then I'll make the move to 100nl when I reach 4-5k and that'll probably be my toughest challenge. Before I start (if I do) I'll be watching numerous videos on deucescracked where I've now subscribed. 

So, in a nutshell, what I'm asking is, is it possible for ME to make $10k profit in 1-2 months playing those limits and that amount of tables? how likely is it that I could do it within 1 month? 2months? I want to know because when I start a diary I want to give myself a certain amount of time so I can really push at it. If this is just a completely ridiculous post and I'm way over my head just say so - I don't mind lol. obv if I do start this I'll post daily updates and graphs and hands etc... fyi I'll be doing this challenge on ***** ***** if that helps at all.

thanks for reading and for any replies.

(guys on sky forum, I copied and pasted this from a thread I started on 2+2 but It'd also be good to know if you guys think it's poss too) TY. also I've removed the other sites names so there's no advertisements for other sites cos obv Sky rules.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    no being cheeky m8 but if you have only been in 1.6k profit in 4 mth period before what chance you got gettin 10k in 2 mths.

if i was you i would drop your target down more than half but whatever you choose to do I will follow your thread gl.
  • edited October 2012

think the time frame is too short, esp when u will be busy with Uni

good news that u r going elsewhere thou ;-)
  • edited October 2012
    I made the $1.6k when I turned 18, and that was solely playing 25nl. I could've easily moved up to 50nl but I chose not to. I made a similar profit a year later in just a 2month period playing 25nl. but obviously this time I'll be moving up the levels ASAP. Thanks for your post tho. 

@shanxta, I havent decided where ill play if I do this yet, but if it isnt on sky the only reason for that is so I can grind a lot of tables throughout the night for sure... I do like sky the best tho. ;-)

edit: @shanxta. I've thought about this, and if I DO go ahead with it, I'll make sure I have 1-2 months (however much I choose) to fully concentrate on poker. No other problems. TY

also @ liam.. the 2 previous times I made the money at 25nl I didn't even play close to the volume that I'd plan to play if I gave this a go. 
  • edited October 2012
    Every time I read my post I feel more and more that it's impossible (for me) lol. But then again I DO THINK I CAN DO IT. Maybe 2 months? Feel free to just say STFU. At least it'll make me lol. I'd prefer some reasoning behind your comments though. lol ty.
  • edited October 2012
    400 buy-ins in a month?

Let's be optimistic here and say that you put in around 100,000 hands at 25nl...
    That means you need a win-rate of 40bb/100, over a decent sample size of hands.

That is UN-FREAKIN-REAL!

I'm not trying to be defeatist here matey, but just to use a good example, i got laid 4/1 odds on making 10bb/100 over a 1,000,000 hands sample size, over the course of 6 months. Even those who think THAT is possible is only about 1 in 10. (cool story bro, it's just the example, dw dw :P)

So for you to come here and even claim that you want to make 20bb/100 (assuming you set a 2 month time-frame) would be borderline insane.

My honest opinion would be to move up to 50nl with 25Buy-ins, and work from there. If your win-rate is as big as you think it is, there's no way you'll need that many BI's. Lets say you have a 10bb/100 win-rate (still pretty mental, but just about achievable), you're only 0.04% to go broke off 25BI, and that's playing a high variance style too.

GL man, and keep the forum updated, it would be a sick goal to set yourself, and i for one would be interested to see what targets you eventually set, and whether you reach them.

Go get 'em dude,
    Smitalos
  • edited October 2012
    how not go 4 a 5k in 2 mths and move up asap like you said i think that would be more achieveble a player your standard.

in the past a few times ive turned £40 into over £1k in 5-6 weeks just movin up levels wen i had 25bi`s for the next level but i was playing everyday and ran well the times i did that.

mind you doin it again the now and im on my 3rd week and and im only quarter way there lol.
  • edited October 2012
    u be lucky to make 10k in a year let alone 2 months bit ambitous that lol good luck tho 
  • edited October 2012
    @smitalos

lolol thanks. I understand my challenge is probs not achievable .. I just thought of it and decided I'll do it. I was going to look into it properly tomorrow as in how much bb/100 i'd have to win at each level bla, but yeah you've kinda summed up what I thought. 

Still might do it tho. 

@liamboi perhaps 5k profit would be a more realistic challenge.

FWIW if I did start this challenge and I failed horrendously in the first week or whatever, I wouldn't mind. I just want to set a challenge which includes 25-100nl and a lot of money. Lol

ty both
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: $10k 1-2 months?:
    u be lucky to make 10k in a year let alone 2 months bit ambitous that lol good luck tho 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Ambitious is the way to be my friend. Thanks for your post.
  • edited October 2012
    Ok, so we've realised I'm insane. Now, what figure should I set myself?

5k profit reasonable in a 2 month period using the same method? Smitalos?
  • edited October 2012
    i used to play $2 /$5 on a site few years back and i was lucky if i made 2k a month so for u to do it on 50 nl is gonna be hard 
  • edited October 2012
    that was when i had a 20 k roll  :) wnt go into my poker life if u play 100 nl multitabling maybe but even then that is a high target to make 
  • edited October 2012
    Just to reiterate - I wouldn't be solely playing 25nl to reach the 10k. I'd be hoping to move to 100nl asap. Does this not change things? Am I still insane?

sigh.
  • edited October 2012
    @idcu yeah true. Perhaps I should think this through more. lol. TY
  • edited October 2012
    y the rush to get 10k in 2 months set yaself a target for 6 months be better u dnt wanna chase it n play for the sake of playing just to reach ya target in small space of time 
  • edited October 2012
    I'll be brutally honest my man, even if you did move up to 100nl and had a win-rate there of 10bb/100 (which means you could just about make it in a month if you played 100k hands, and moved up SUPER quick), you're still looking at playing some of the toughest 100nl players you're ever gunna see. It's at that level you see huge waiting lists with 1 fish surrounded by a bunch of regs, all bumhunting to squeeze out as much EV as they possibly can.

I'm gunna try and salvage this thread (as i have a bad feeling the mods will take it down) and recommend trying you're luck her on sky first? Playing in £'s, good community, and no (scratch that.... LESS) bumhunting regs swarming round the not so experienced players.

I'm not a HUD or training site advocate myself, so i'mma zip it while i still can :P

GL though sir, you're right to aim high though. Just remember to step back and look at all the good work you've done even if you don't reach the lofty goals you're gunna set yourself.

Smitalos.
  • edited October 2012
    But I've seen so many vids on these training sites by high stakes players that say it only really gets tough like nl200+. Now I'm not saying 100nl isn't gonna be tough, and heck I would probs get owned each pot, but with the right preperation and all that? At 100nl I've seen ppl say there's still a lot of fish, not so brilliant regs andquite a few more v.good regs.

Obv on sky this may be different as it's a smaller player base. But on the other sites? 

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • edited October 2012
    I JUST NEED TO RUN AMAZINLY FOR 2 MONTHS. THAT'S ALL.
  • edited October 2012
    First: 21/8/2010
    Last: 14/10/2012
    Hey guys.

Don't currently post much on here, although I do read quite a few threads.
    hmmmmm 2100 posts lol....
  • edited October 2012
    fwiw also, I'd include any rakeback in my profits. and if I play huge volume over a 2 month period I'd imagine that'd be quite a bit.
  • edited October 2012
    percival09 Posts: 2100 First: 21/8/2010 Last: 14/10/2012 Hey guys. Don't currently post much on here, although I do read quite a few threads. hmmmmm 2100 posts lol....
    Posted by wayne1958
    lololol. Carry on reading ;-) You'll see the reason that's there.
  • edited October 2012
    Time limits don't work generally; they put you under pressure, when you're under pressure you don't play optimally.

I'd suggest dropping the 2 months element, make it open-ended, then go for it.

Good luck.
  • edited October 2012
    gl lemon - you have the game for sure so - just go for it )
  • edited October 2012
    When are you thinking of starting this, considering you are at Uni? What year are you in?

You are clearly a good player and having played a little bit with you I recognised you straight away as a player I didn't want to get involved with so I have no doubt you would make 10k... but the question would be how long and what permutations this would have on University. (I've just finished Uni and I can acknowledge that it is super tough to grind and live the Uni life, in truth I couldn't and dropped poker almost completely).

I agree with a poster above about maybe making this an open-ended challenge... but again that will maybe affect Uni life again etc...

If you want to do a 2 month Uni free, poker only grind then I would say just go for it. So what if you fail... you may still make 5k out of it!
  • edited October 2012
    @garyqqq and king2600.. yeah perhaps you're right. I was considering doing this either in january after my exams for a 2months max period, or wait until I finish year 2 and start it in the summer. Obviously the good thing with starting it in summer is that I'll have around 4months to do it, and no uni at all, and therefore could set a more achievable challenge. The good thing about starting it in January is that IT'S ONLY 3 MONTHS AWAY. 

@rancid ty. Not sure what'd happen at 100nl, but I don't want to just carry on playing 25/20nl for the rest of my life, may as well give this **** a go. 

ty for the comments. I'll reconsider.................................

another pro of having it in the summer is I get to try learn more and more, and in no rush either.
  • edited October 2012
    in order to have a chance you would have to be much more aggressive with your br 50buyins is too many in this time frame. i dont think nl100 is going to be tough really.  i found there wa a big jump between 100 & 200 on other sites though, with 200+ regs being more more aggressive both pre&postflop
  • edited October 2012
    @lol yeah that's what I've seen others say. At 200 regs are more aggro and don't call as much, and play vs villains perceived range bla bla. But yeah you're right ty. 
  • edited October 2012
    in order to have a chance you would have to be much more aggressive with your br 50buyins is too many in this time frame. i dont think nl100 is going to be tough really.  i found there wa a big jump between 100 & 200 on other sites though, with 200+ regs being more more aggressive both pre&postflop
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    And that's YOU! This is for me....... we all know you're pretty awesome and own 100nl regularly ha. 
  • edited October 2012
    gl m8.........you have set urself a very tough challenge and it would be great to see you do, I feel that 2 months isn't long enough, but who knows :)
  • edited October 2012
    gl m8.........you have set urself a very tough challenge and it would be great to see you do, I feel that 2 months isn't long enough, but who knows :)
    Posted by waller02

ty. appreciated. I'll let everyone know what I decide to set myself and when I decide to do it.