You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Some Criticism and Suggestions for the Channel and Formats

2»

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Many thanks Tikay and especially Sky Des for the replies! This is why Sky Poker is THE best site imo! You take notice of the people and do as much as possible to improve the site. Its great to know that we can talk you and get positive feedback to the suggestions we make! The forthcoming shows sound very exciting and all in all 2010 looks like its going to be a great year! Once again, thanks very much!
    Oh and Tikay,
    "There is no excuse for being an Orforder, either. What WERE you thinking?" we all have our crosses to bear! ;)
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Some Criticism and Suggestions for the Channel and Formats:
    Personally I like the idea of re-running some of the older episodes.  The only downside to that is that it doesn't allow our current players to see their hands analysed, which is the most valued part of the live shows and which is why they are repeated a lot during the week.  Those old shows were also recorded in a different format to our current shows; so for example the current infobar on screen may well encroach onto the playing table of those old shows - and the infobar needs to be on screen 24 / 7 to enable us to meet our licensing terms.  I'll try and view an old episode this week to see what's possible.
    Posted by Sky_Des

Do I get repeat fees?

I think I know the answer to this question...

;)
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Some Criticism and Suggestions for the Channel and Formats : Do I get repeat fees? I think I know the answer to this question... ;)
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Fees?  You mean somebody pays you to work with Sky Poker?!?  I need to speak to Mother Hen...  ;)
  • edited December 2009
    Yes - PNL = "Poker Night Live". It was a Live TV Show which was a sort of low-tech version of Sky Poker, with a wholly different business model. It closed down/went busto in the Spring of 2007. Amongst others, the Presenters there (all front-of-camera were deemed "Presenters") included Kara, Michelle, Matt, Dr Tom, Nick W, James B, & myself. It had a Forum too - "PokerZone" which, funnily enough, led to it's demise. Buit that's another story.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Isn't that a story were still waiting for you to write up Tikay ?? lol. Have to admit i used to love PNL. If i remember rightly PNL used to focus on the same table for quite a few consecutive hands which if i may, ii would like to add to the OP's list of recommendations. I'd like to see the live shows focus on one table a little rather than bounce around so much. I know your trying to give people a fair shout of getting on telly and that "Interesting" hands will be picked out to keep the show & commentary lively but i think we might get something out of seeing early on how a table is playing rather than just FT's which can become a shove fest

Cheers

Chris
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Some Criticism and Suggestions for the Channel and Formats : Isn't that a story were still waiting for you to write up Tikay ?? lol. Have to admit i used to love PNL. If i remember rightly PNL used to focus on the same table for quite a few consecutive hands which if i may, ii would like to add to the OP's list of recommendations. I'd like to see the live shows focus on one table a little rather than bounce around so much. I know your trying to give people a fair shout of getting on telly and that "Interesting" hands will be picked out to keep the show & commentary lively but i think we might get something out of seeing early on how a table is playing rather than just FT's which can become a shove fest Cheers Chris
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    I agree, Chris, & to be fair, the Producers are now doing thast a lot. In Master Cash, for example, over a period of 2 hours, they only follow 4 Tables.

But it's a Producer's call, so I'll ask one of them to comment. Assuming I remember. ;)
  • edited December 2009
    Yes - PNL = "Poker Night Live". It was a Live TV Show which was a sort of low-tech version of Sky Poker, with a wholly different business model. It closed down/went busto in the Spring of 2007. Amongst others, the Presenters there (all front-of-camera were deemed "Presenters") included Kara, Michelle, Matt, Dr Tom, Nick W, James B, & myself. It had a Forum too - "PokerZone" which, funnily enough, led to it's demise. Buit that's another story.
    Posted by Tikay10

I loved PNL, I wish sky poker would go more like that. We need to see more cash games on sky. I for one was very happy to see the introduction of master cash and I have enjoyed watching it very much.

I don't want to watch a tourney with a load of donkeys shoving and folding for 4 hrs. What's interesting about that. We want various shows that focus on everything, sng's, mtt's and cash. Different nights for different things.

P.S I still have a PNL T-Shirt that i won for an e-mail. it's too small for me now but can't throw it away.
    Too many good memories.

Keep up the good work Tikay, love the banter between you and Rich 
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Some Criticism and Suggestions for the Channel and Formats : Isn't that a story were still waiting for you to write up Tikay ?? lol. Have to admit i used to love PNL. If i remember rightly PNL used to focus on the same table for quite a few consecutive hands which if i may, ii would like to add to the OP's list of recommendations. I'd like to see the live shows focus on one table a little rather than bounce around so much. I know your trying to give people a fair shout of getting on telly and that "Interesting" hands will be picked out to keep the show & commentary lively but i think we might get something out of seeing early on how a table is playing rather than just FT's which can become a shove fest Cheers Chris
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Hi,

Just a quick note that you may appreciate Cash Unlimited this week. Monday and Tuesday at 8pm. Both shows are brand new and feature play from Master Cash 10 and Master Cash 14 respectively.

Hope you enjoy them.

Ax
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Some Criticism and Suggestions for the Channel and Formats : I loved PNL, I wish sky poker would go more like that. We need to see more cash games on sky. I for one was very happy to see the introduction of master cash and I have enjoyed watching it very much. I don't want to watch a tourney with a load of donkeys shoving and folding for 4 hrs. What's interesting about that. We want various shows that focus on everything, sng's, mtt's and cash. Different nights for different things. P.S I still have a PNL T-Shirt that i won for an e-mail. it's too small for me now but can't throw it away. Too many good memories. Keep up the good work Tikay, love the banter between you and Rich 
    Posted by salazar
    Thank you salazar.

Yes, Poker Night Live was good, & I enjoyed being part of it very much. But it went Busto, because it showed the wrong programming, the wrong Tourneys, the wrong Cash games. At the end, the Tourney they showed each night - an MTT - was getting about 12 (TWELVE) Runners. So, I hope Sky Poker don't copy their business model any time soon, if you get my drift!

The Cardroom bears the cost of the TV Channel, so it HAS to drive business to the Cardroom, & it does that by appealing to the majority tastes in poker.
  • edited December 2009
    whats happened to Michell doctor Tom & Norman Pace ect
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Some Criticism and Suggestions for the Channel and Formats : Thank you salazar. Yes, Poker Night Live was good, & I enjoyed being part of it very much. But it went Busto, because it showed the wrong programming, the wrong Tourneys, the wrong Cash games. At the end, the Tourney they showed each night - an MTT - was getting about 12 (TWELVE) Runners. So, I hope Sky Poker don't copy their business model any time soon, if you get my drift! The Cardroom bears the cost of the TV Channel, so it HAS to drive business to the Cardroom, & it does that by appealing to the majority tastes in poker.
    Posted by Tikay10

Thank you for your reply Tikay. 
    I appreciate that Sky Poker is trying to attract new players to the site and it does this by trying to show them the basics and showing their name on the show. I think this would still be possible with TV tables on cash and sng's so why not show a bit of everything?. 
    I know my opinion probably doesn't count for much especially as I choose to play on a different site. I would like to start playing on sky poker though but I am holding out for download version at the moment.
    The reason is I use tracking software which I believe is not available to use on sky's current software. Other things I feel are important such as hand replayers are also missing from the site. I will continue to watch the show and check the forum out in the hope that these changes are made soon. 
    I would appeal to sky that although attracting new players to the site is important they should not forget that their are millions of people playing at other sites who they could attract if a few changes to the site were to be made. 
    A downloadable version, a hand replayer and better graphics would be a perfect start. Keeping my fingers crossed for changes,

Salazar 
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Some Criticism and Suggestions for the Channel and Formats : Thank you for your reply Tikay.  I appreciate that Sky Poker is trying to attract new players to the site and it does this by trying to show them the basics and showing their name on the show. I think this would still be possible with TV tables on cash and sng's so why not show a bit of everything?.  I know my opinion probably doesn't count for much especially as I choose to play on a different site. I would like to start playing on sky poker though but I am holding out for download version at the moment. The reason is I use tracking software which I believe is not available to use on sky's current software. Other things I feel are important such as hand replayers are also missing from the site. I will continue to watch the show and check the forum out in the hope that these changes are made soon.  I would appeal to sky that although attracting new players to the site is important they should not forget that their are millions of people playing at other sites who they could attract if a few changes to the site were to be made.  A downloadable version, a hand replayer and better graphics would be a perfect start. Keeping my fingers crossed for changes, Salazar 
    Posted by salazar
    I'll try & reply to that tomorrow, as there are so many questions in there, & it appears to have got confused between The CardRoom & the TV Channel. I'm pretty busy today, in the Studio most of the day, so bear with me please.

Thanks.
  • edited January 2010
    I have posted elsewhere, and I re-alise the production probs now ( thanks tk) but cant the bods behind the scenes pull out different repeats (and a personal bug) please by all means use the strip at the bottom of the screen to advertise up coming programmes but I have reccommended all my friends I know about poker points and play as often as my meagre bankroll allows purely for fun I have no illusions about being the new "jesus" etc I along with the majority of players I suspect are here for entertainment not a way of life
  • edited January 2010
    As an aside, the TV Channel - & I'm hypothesising here - could run 7 nights a week if the Cardroom did not spend an arm & a leg on Freerolls, & other Promos. Or, viewed another way, it could spend a lot more on Promos & stuff if it did not have to pay for the TV Channel - it all comes out of the same pocket. Getting my drift, there?......
    Posted by Tikay10
    But the thing is, it did when it first started.  I've watched ever since the beginning and there used to be a lot more live stuff, every night with more studio guests and analysts.

Over time, the live events and Vegas trips have increased and the TV coverage has been slimmed down to bare essentials and then to fewer and fewer shows. 

Yes, it's the same pocket that all the items come out of but for those of us who watch the shows and haven't been able to attend the live events, then it's becoming rather sparse in terms of output.

And I saw you said you need to increase the player base, well, get the site supported by HEM and you will get the serious players and regs from other sites come and join in.
  • edited January 2010

Excuse my ignorance but HEM?

• edited January 2010
    I'm one of a few of my friends who came by 865 by chance (it's NEVER advertised...even on sky sports!!) when we got Sky+ installed and all of us started playing via the tv LONG before we went to the website...and more recently forum!!! Without 865 I would probably be playing on some $ site....so from my end T.V. Works!!!

Excellent thread, V. Intersting...again found it by chance when someone posted but well worth the read & comments

Would have REALLY liked TKO on tele today (might have been a good way to advertise the show too?) but understand issues re funding

Keep it up xxx
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Criticism and Suggestions for the Channel and Formats : I can't help there Digger, it's up to those on high. I'm just OCD & obsessive about decent manners & good Customer Care. So when a question is asked, even if it's outwith my remit, if nobody else answers it, I feel I have to. There is no excuse for ignoring our Clients. There is no excuse for being an Orforder, either. What WERE you thinking? Is the JCB3B still the biz?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay, you are a true gent and that is why we love you!

x
  • edited January 2010
    whats happened to Michell doctor Tom & Norman Pace ect
    Posted by CHIPCHAP

Michelle left to replace Kara on the EPT shows as host.  I don't know about the others but have asked on other threads. 
  • edited January 2010
    Excuse my ignorance but HEM?
    Posted by goonas
    Hold em Manager 

Salazar