You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Call or shove?

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Donttelmum Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £52.91
davelufc Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £8.96
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

PiranhaNo1 Raise  £0.40 £0.70 £8.19
Donttelmum Fold     
davelufc Raise  £1.00 £1.70 £7.96
PiranhaNo1 Call  £0.80 £2.50 £7.39
Flop

• A

davelufc Check     
PiranhaNo1 Bet  £1.40 £3.90 £5.99
davelufc Call  £1.40 £5.30 £6.56
Turn

davelufc Check     
PiranhaNo1 Bet  £2.60 £7.90 £3.39
davelufc

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Flop I like check call. Dont see much value in betting and we leave ourselves exposed to floats and flop raises

Turn I would fold, as your hand is a pure bluff catcher, unless you have a very specific and concrete read here.

Important though, to not only check call the flop with high underpairs.By check calling with high aces on these kind of boards you can happily fold turn with KK etc knowing that you will have enough high aces in your range that you can call through the streets with, therefore your range is less defined when you check call flop, and therefore you are less exploitable and and more difficult to play agonist. By doing this you can also delay cbet on these dry boards with greater credibility.
  • edited October 2012

Is there any Ace at all that will fold at this stage?  He has 3.39 back.

What hands that lack an Ace will call?

Fold is an option (I aint disciplined enough to do it, but with stack sizes it may be correct).  However, if you dont fold, it must be because you doubt that he has an Ace.  It cannot be that you expect him to fold an Ace or to hit a King on river.

So if not fold, then call.  

Many Aces might check on river anyway so you find out you have lost for just the cost of the river call.  So you lose less than shoving on turn

If he has no Ace then he may well shove on river.  You get more off him than if you shove on river.

But if you do call on turn (and there is no K) then (imho) you have to call any bet on river

• edited October 2012
    Pre-flop 3bet needs to be bigger imo. he raises to 40p I'd make it at least £1.40 and we'll try make him make some mistakes, this way as well the pot will be set up so it's easy for you to be all-in by the turn.

As played I would 100% bet the flop, by checking we basically allow his ACES to value bet knowing that you likely have a worse hand, and we let 77-TT check back when they'd almost certainly call at least one bet.

The important thing to do in cash games in to make sure our opponents have as many difficult "I don't really know" type decisions as possible, that way they are way more likely to make a mistake we can profit from. The way we've played this hand doesn't give him any trouble at all.

As played I would fold the turn, it doesn't look like you're going to fold and there is very little he can be bluffing with.
  • edited October 2012
    Fold, the way youve played the hand you have no option but to fold.
  • edited October 2012
    call or shove neither fold turn

I agree with one of the above posters I 3bet bigger and not all the time but I do cbet sometimes