You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Question.

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat

A player has written to me with a genuine & fair complaint.

He was in a Tournament, & another player berated him, & quoted his losses in Sky Poker Tournaments, which he had gleaned from Sharkscope.

If this happens, the player should be reported to Customer Care, & if it is found they have a history of doing this, they will be warned &/or chat-banned, as it is bang out of order.

However, my question is this......

Players CAN "lock" or "hide" their results on Sharkscope if they wish, & I advised the guy to do this. But......

Does he need to "subscribe" (at a cost) to Sharkscope to be able to "hide" his results, or can he hide them even if he is not a Sharkscope subscriber?

Thanks.  

Comments

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Question.:
    A player has written to me with a genuine & fair complaint. He was in a Tournament, & another player berated him, & quoted his losses in Sky Poker Tournaments, which he had gleaned from Sharkscope.   If this happens, the player should be reported to Customer Care, & if it is found they have a history of doing this, they will be warned &/or chat-banned, as it is bang out of order. However, my question is this...... Players CAN "lock" or "hide" their results on Sharkscope if they wish, & I advised the guy to do this. But...... Does he need to "subscribe" (at a cost) to Sharkscope to be able to "hide" his results, or can he hide them even if he is not a Sharkscope subscriber? Thanks.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes TK,

Everyone can request to opt out from sharkscope. You dont have to be a subscriber to them to do so.

Hope it helps.
  • edited October 2012

Brilliant, thank you. I will pass that on to my man.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Question.:
    Brilliant, thank you. I will pass that on to my man.
    Posted by Tikay10
    How can a player opt out:

Go to sharkscope.com and at the top right there is the options tab. Go over it and he/she will she the option to opt out. Click it and a page opens where the player puts his/her email address, Alias, network and submits the request. Then sharkscope sends the player an email in order to confirm the action.

• edited October 2012

Thanks again - I have just written back to the Gent & explained all that. Job done.
  • edited October 2012
    If this is such a widespread issue, why can't SkyPoker do what some others sites have done and make it so players must opt-in to display their results. 
  • edited October 2012
    If this is such a widespread issue, why can't SkyPoker do what some others sites have done and make it so players must opt-in to display their results. 
    Posted by NColley
    Grrrrrr :@:
  • edited October 2012
    I was thinking of starting a thread regarding this issue. 

I dont like sharkscope and I hope that sky will opt out soon.

It is a company that makes money by publishing player's results. I believe that each player should be aksed before they post his/her.  

• edited October 2012
    Publicly sharing individual's results is pretty bad, and I'm pretty sure it's also against Sharkscopes Ts & Cs ... BUT I think it's a great site/tool and I think it would be a big shame if Sky decided to not share information with them.

If people don't like it being there, they can lock their results but I'd guess probably 80-90%+ of online poker players don't even know it exists, and of the very small percentage that do know it exists, I'd say a very high percentage of them like it and find it useful. So it would probably be generous saying 1-2% of online poker players have an actual problem with Sharkscope existing... so keep it :)

In this case, obviously there's no need for anyone to quote someone's losses at the table, especially not specific figures from SS or the like, but this is the exception not the norm.

I know you can say it's a different kettle of fish because it doesn't show actual profits/losses but no-one has a problem with the Hendon Mob publishing people's MTT results, in fact quite the opposite, people are proud and happy to get a flag on there.  IMO the only difference is Hendon Mob doesn't show losses, Sharkscope does, and people don't like others seeing they're a losing player (which is fair enough).
  • edited October 2012
    Publicly sharing individual's results is pretty bad, and I'm pretty sure it's also against Sharkscopes Ts & Cs ... BUT I think it's a great site/tool and I think it would be a big shame if Sky decided to not share information with them. If people don't like it being there, they can lock their results but I'd guess probably 80-90%+ of online poker players don't even know it exists, and of the very small percentage that do know it exists, I'd say a very high percentage of them like it and find it useful. So it would probably be generous saying 1-2% of online poker players have an actual problem with Sharkscope existing... so keep it :) In this case, obviously there's no need for anyone to quote someone's losses at the table, especially not specific figures from SS or the like, but this is the exception not the norm. I know you can say it's a different kettle of fish because it doesn't show actual profits/losses but no-one has a problem with the Hendon Mob publishing people's MTT results, in fact quite the opposite, people are proud and happy to get a flag on there.  IMO the only difference is Hendon Mob doesn't show losses, Sharkscope does, and people don't like others seeing they're a losing player (which is fair enough).
    Posted by Lambert180
    3 years ago maybe.
    Now i'd say a good 60 + know about it .
  • edited October 2012
    depends on levels innit. beginners obv might not know about sharkscope, but everyone who plays even half regularly will know about it. I'd say more like 60-70% of the entire online poker players base will know about it
  • edited October 2012
    I was thinking of starting a thread regarding this issue.  I dont like sharkscope and I hope that sky will opt out soon. It is a company that makes money by publishing player's results. I believe that each player should be aksed before they post his/her.  
    Posted by GreekWay
    If sky did ever opt out of sharkscope, i think it would be commercial suicide..
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Question. : If sky did ever opt out of sharkscope, i think it would be commercial suicide..
    Posted by FINS
    I heard about another poker site that did this and know they are really struggling....definitely commercial suicide
  • edited October 2012

It seems from my experience that most people who block their sharkscope stats are losing players, or at least were at the time they blocked their stats.

So if i do a s/s search on someone and they have blocked their stats, I assume they are bad unless proven otherwise from their play.

Basically, it is a big tell. However, I do know of at least one player who has an excellent record who has blocked their stats though, so just shows you that you cant apply the same rule to all.

Anyway, people who have a go at your s/s stats, normally have poor graphs themelves... or they got lucky a couple of times and think they are suddenly Phil Ivey. It is best just to ignore people who lol at your stats, and just tell them to worry about their own game, not yours! 

• edited October 2012
    It seems from my experience that most people who block their sharkscope stats are losing players, or at least were at the time they blocked their stats. So if i do a s/s search on someone and they have blocked their stats, I assume they are bad unless proven otherwise from their play. Basically, it is a big tell. However, I do know of at least one player who has an excellent record who has blocked their stats though, so just shows you that you cant apply the same rule to all. Anyway, people who have a go at your s/s stats, normally have poor graphs themelves... or they got lucky a couple of times and think they are suddenly Phil Ivey. It is best just to ignore people who lol at your stats, and just tell them to worry about their own game, not yours!   
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    +1
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Question.:
    & another player berated him, & quoted his losses in Sky Poker Tournaments, which he had gleaned from Sharkscope.   If this happens, the player should be reported to Customer Care, & if it is found they have a history of doing this, they will be warned &/or chat-banned, as it is bang out of order.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    depends on the level of berating, surely

lots of berating goes on, based purely on the play seen at the tables - so what if someones s/s stats are brought into it.

i'm assuming here that berating = banter <> abuse

• edited October 2012
    Am i missing something here?

Shouldn't we/you be helping him to become a better player, rather than just help him block his stats ?

At the end of the day nearly all players start of as losers.   Turning a negative scope into a positive one will one day be a great day for them (even if it takes a real long time).  Sweeping the stats/problem under the carpet does absolutely nothing.
  • edited October 2012

i blocked mine some time ago.  it's funny that i sometimes get berated for blocking them by a player who has just gone to sharkscope to check them.

so funny, do they not immediately reveal more about themselves, than i do about me?

• edited October 2012

anyway, the platinum "amity" membership of sharkscope allows you to by-pass all blocking settings of others.  it is not widely published but it is quite a nice premium service if you can find it on their website.  if you have difficulty finding the link PM me or post here for help.

• edited October 2012
    Am i missing something here? Shouldn't we/you be helping him to become a better player, rather than just help him block his stats ? At the end of the day nearly all players start of as losers.   Turning a negative scope into a positive one will one day be a great day for them (even if it takes a real long time).  Sweeping the stats/problem under the carpet does absolutely nothing.
    Posted by 1267
    Well yes, up to a point, & I did both. I exchanged 3 or 4 PM's with the chap, & I spent quite some time trying to assist. He is a very small loser by any standards, just a few hundred down. Pretty much "Mr Average" really, just a recreational player enjoying his hobby. 

I gave him some helpful hints & advice, such as I'm able, and he does try & improve his game already, he does the coaching videos, Poker Clinics, etc.

One part of his note was painful to read, though. He said, (not in these exact words).....

"I hate the thought that they were laughing at me, it was so embarrassing & humiliating".

I cannot find any way whereby that sits comfortable with me, & I really hope that poker society as a whole would not enjoy seeing players mocked for their supposedly inferior abilities. I'd like an even £100 that Mr Berater (& I do not know who it was) lost just as much, if not more.

Decent, genuine people should not have to be subjected to mocking & dissing when they want to sit down & enjoy an hour or two of recreational poker. If we all look the other way when we see this, it can only be bad for the game as a whole. And if the guy IS really bad, does it really make sense to chase him away?

I really don't like to see people bullied. Since when was it a sin to be a "lesser" player, or person, than, say, you or me?