You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Did i play this wrong?

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
chinooka21 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £49.25
PokerKinga Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £123.66
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

AnthonyLFC Call  £0.50 £1.25 £37.20
robbie1992 Raise  £2.00 £3.25 £39.82
Japstar Call  £2.00 £5.25 £37.74
chinooka21 Call  £1.75 £7.00 £47.50
PokerKinga Fold     
AnthonyLFC Call  £1.50 £8.50 £35.70
Flop

• Q

chinooka21 Check     
AnthonyLFC Check     
robbie1992 Check     
Japstar Bet  £4.25 £12.75 £33.49
chinooka21 Fold     
AnthonyLFC Fold     
robbie1992 Call  £4.25 £17.00 £35.57
Turn

• K

robbie1992 Check     
Japstar Bet  £8.50 £25.50 £24.99
robbie1992 All-in  £35.57 £61.07 £0.00
Japstar All-in  £24.99 £86.06 £0.00
robbie1992 Unmatched bet  £2.08 £83.98 £2.08
robbie1992 Show
  • Q
  • Q

Japstar Show
  • J

River

Japstar Win Straight to the King £82.18  £82.18
The villian had been quiete loose and had done a few strange things, i just call so i give him the turn to bluff, i was gonna check shove.  The reason i didnt raise the flop was because i wasnt really fearing any card on the turn plus his on the button and would prob bet regardless as it had been checked round to him, would you of played this any different?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    you take a pretty bad line imo.

not cbetting and x/calling 4way and x/shoving the turn is like always v.strong

I cbet flop, bet any turn and call any shove

as played I think you do have to shove on the turn but as i said you have to just hope he's super strong or he isn't gonna call.

also there's probs a pretty good argument for just flatting on the turn as played, which may be best
  • edited October 2012
    cbet flop and continue on turn it was always goin allin on turn anywayz

vul
  • edited October 2012
    hmm maybe but i have such a strong hand on such a dry flop, the K or 8 are scarey cards but still he has to have exactly 10j, thats the only hand im losing too.  Thats why i decided to slowplay it, even on the turn i thought he had a lower set and thats why i decided to shove the turn as i thought it would still get called
  • edited October 2012
    Bet flop for value
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Did i play this wrong?:
    Bet flop for value
    Posted by grantorino
    I dont understand why u say this, seeing as the opponent bet like i wanted too doesnt that make this the right move?
    the only thing you could say is possiably raise the flop for value.
    How can be not betting the flop be a mistake if the opponent still betted like i wanted him too
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Did i play this wrong? : I dont understand why u say this, seeing as the opponent bet like i wanted too doesnt that make this the right move? the only thing you could say is possiably raise the flop for value. How can be not betting the flop be a mistake if the opponent still betted like i wanted him too
    Posted by robbie1992
    Because you're being results orientated. It's like saying 'I called a shove with 72o and beat AA so how can that be bad play'.

The result of one hand (this one) is irrelevant. Alot of the time he may not want to bet into this many people and you lose value. Also if you bet yourself, how do you know he doesn't raise and so this would be even better?

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Did i play this wrong? : Because you're being results orientated. It's like saying 'I called a shove with 72o and beat AA so how can that be bad play'. The result of one hand (this one) is irrelevant. Alot of the time he may not want to bet into this many people and you lose value. Also if you bet yourself, how do you know he doesn't raise and so this would be even better?
    Posted by Lambert180
    no thats just a stupid thing to say, because thats just dum play.  With the check i actually had a stragety and made a poker based thought in my head that the way the hand went and the opponent he was he would bet this flop...which was correct.  Maybe but he woulda called and when the K comes on the turn im still only losing to 10j so its still hard to fold
  • edited October 2012
    I dont mind betting out here or i dont mind your line here either if you think your opponant is going to take a stab at it.  It would be really bad tho if he checked behind so you would need to be pretty confident that hes definately going to take a stab at it.  When he bets yes check calling is best check raising looks too strong.  On the turn i might just flat call again depending if you think your opponant is capable of barrelling the river then you can jam the river.  But yes never folding here we beat so many hands in his range.
  • edited October 2012
    Bet out because that's what you normally would do.

You want to c bet your bluffs and sets the same here.
  • edited October 2012
    why ask for advice then tell everyone who gives you some that they are wrong??
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Did i play this wrong? : no thats just a stupid thing to say, because thats just dum play.  With the check i actually had a stragety and made a poker based thought in my head that the way the hand went and the opponent he was he would bet this flop...which was correct.  Maybe but he woulda called and when the K comes on the turn im still only losing to 10j so its still hard to fold
    Posted by robbie1992
    Ok u are the bestest
  • edited October 2012
    lololloll. You just knew he flopped an open ender. Man. Awesome
  • edited October 2012
    u raise preflop and dnt c-bet srange if u are checking the flop u have to check raise by playing it so passive u have lost the initative in the hand
  • edited October 2012
    u have to c - bet to balance ya range your going to c -bet if u miss and if u hit 

if u only c-bet when u miss and check when u have the nuts this is easily exploitable
  • edited October 2012
    lololloll. You just knew he flopped an open ender. Man. Awesome
    Posted by percival09

I think he's saying the opposite.

ie he didnt bet because the only hand he needed to protect against was T J, which he thought was unlikely.  So he didnt bet, and took the chance that oppo would do so.

I agree that leading out is probably best.  But I dont think Robbie is saying that the only reason he didnt lead out is coz he knew it was an open ender.

• edited October 2012
    Completely agree with Donk (for once! lol).

There's no way you would ever raise pre-flop and then check 4way if you had AA here, or AQ, or KK, or KQ for instance. If you start slowplaying only when you have the absolute nuts, it not only becomes exploitable, but you only have yourself to blame when you get outdrawn.

I'm not saying betting would have changed things here because he'd probably still call with the OESD but what if he decides to just check the flop for a free card. The times he hits his draw on the turn, you get stacked, and the times he doesnt, you probably get nothing. Whereas if you bet, you get paid off when he's a big underdog.