You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM questions? How beatable are they etc.

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
As this month is drawing to a close I am looking ahead to the next and what poker I'm going to be playing etc. I have been grinding a lot of cash these last couple of months and have done rather well and will also receive a nice c4p boost at the end of this one too.

However, I am now looking at maybe getting more into DYMs again and hopefully, finally, conquering them.

When I first joined the site 3 years ago I was in my first year at Uni and I proceeded to blow a substantial amount of my student loan on DYMs only to save myself with a couple of tournament binks. This cyc;e continued for a couple of years before I started playing cash on another site.

I found out I could win at cash and therefore stuck at this, moving up and down levels before taking out my roll over there and putting some in here and spending the rest on a new car amongst other things. I've played mainly cash on here since then and done well but...

I am now at a point where I want to test myself again at DYMs and I feel that my game now is so much better than it was then. But, I have read in places that DYMs or games of similar ilk with different aims are notoriously harder to beat... I would play £11... how beatable are these do people feel from experience??7

What's the best way to make money from them... lots of tables... lots of hours for c4p boosting as well or fewer tables with longer hours etc?

Really keen to get views on this. Thanks.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I have played you a bit over the last week.

If you want to test yourself don't play dyms, just move up the cash stakes.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: DYM questions? How beatable are they etc.:
    I have played you a bit over the last week. If you want to test yourself don't play dyms, just move up the cash stakes.
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Ha yeah you killed me earlier with aces over kings... was the last hand of my session - soul destroying! Worst thing was I had a strong gut feeling you had them on the flop and just hoped I could get you to fold turn by quick re-raising all-in. My bad.
  • edited October 2012
    I have played you a bit over the last week. If you want to test yourself don't play dyms, just move up the cash stakes.
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Thing with moving up is that it would still be cash at a similarish level. Why would you say not to move to playing DYMs? I'd still play cash at the same time as well.
  • edited October 2012
    hi KING,
    congrats on the cash grind btw.looks like a photo finish between you HAIDYBOY and TINTIN might be needed. lol   (sorry i missed your name i1st time around Haidy.)

as i am playing the £3 & £5 games atm,i am not the best player to give advice about the £11's.
    but of course all the levels are beatable.
    i did play 8x£11 dym's during my last dym challenge though...and lost 7 so not been back there since.  lol
    i thing is a given though ...lots & lots of tables,and plenty of hours too for the c4p.
    i was playing around 12-15 most nights.
    am currently playing just 9 atm as i am just moving up to the £5's.
    it is tricky getting the balance right regarding number of tables to play...but it seems to me that the higher levels you go,most players will drop a table or two,i think.i guess you just can't afford to be making any silly mistakes,like you can at the lower levels.
    c4p are good from dym's too in relation to cash at the lower levels,imo.

i'm sure you will do well at them.guess the question is will you make more money than cash?
    i can't answer that one,sorry.
    guess there is only 1 way to find out?
    good luck & best wishes anyway.
    :)
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    hi KING, congrats on the cash grind btw.looks like a photo finish between you and TINTIN might be needed. lol as i am playing the £3 & £5 games atm,i am not the best player to give advice about the £11's. but of course all the levels are beatable. i did play 8x£11 dym's during my last dym challenge though...and lost 7 so not been back there since.  lol i thing is a given though ...lots & lots of tables,and plenty of hours too for the c4p. i was playing around 12-15 most nights. am currently playing just 9 atm as i am just moving up to the £5's. it is tricky getting the balance right regarding number of tables to play...but it seems to me that the higher levels you go,most players will drop a table or two,i think.i guess you just can't afford to be making any silly mistakes,like you can at the lower levels. c4p are good from dym's too in relation to cash at the lower levels,imo. i'm sure you will do well at them.guess the question is will you make more money than cash? i can't answer that one,sorry. guess there is only 1 way to find out? good luck & best wishes anyway. :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Hi Dev, cheers for response really helpful and certainly gives me a decent enough idea.

I don't think I can make as much from DYMs as I can cash in the long run... but I think in a month by combining the two I may be able to make a decent profit. I was just concerned as to how beatable it is and how my game will do in it.

As you say there is only one way to really find out for certain.
  • edited October 2012

Prob looking at somewhere between 4-6% ROI, can go as high as 7/8% if you're v good, and 10% if you're a genius. 

Just assume 5% ROI and use that figure to work out how much you can make playing whatever and add in rake back. 

100 games a month @ £11 w/5% ROI = £50 profit & 1k c4ps. 

etc.....
  • edited October 2012
    Prob looking at somewhere between 4-6% ROI, can go as high as 7/8% if you're v good, and 10% if you're a genius.  Just assume 5% ROI and use that figure to work out how much you can make playing whatever and add in rake back.  100 games a month @ £11 w/5% ROI = £50 profit & 1k c4ps.  etc.....
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Cheers for that. Well explained and easy to work with. Biggest issue with it for me I think is that I don't know how good my game is going to be at DYMs and also I am slightly scared at the thought of 8-tabling DYMs when they're all on the bubble etc. Therefore further cutting into any profit I could make.

Certainly plenty of thought needed to draw up a plan.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: DYM questions? How beatable are they etc. : Cheers for that. Well explained and easy to work with. Biggest issue with it for me I think is that I don't know how good my game is going to be at DYMs and also I am slightly scared at the thought of 8-tabling DYMs when they're all on the bubble etc. Therefore further cutting into any profit I could make. Certainly plenty of thought needed to draw up a plan.
    Posted by KING2600
    yes m8,but it really isn't that bad.
    what i am now doing is playing 3x£5 & 6x£3 as i've already said.
    then as a £5 game finishes load up another and so on.
    what i have found is that as most games vary in time to finish that multi bubble table situation isn't that bad and even if/when i get 5 6 or more at the same time you do manage to cope with it.
    yes,playing 15+ tables as i was,i was making some mistakes,but that's just not the case now playing just the 9.
    i'm sure you could easily play 8/9 tables.
    gl
    :)
    dev
    ps;why not play a few £5's first and see how you go then add on some £11's.
  • edited October 2012
    Prob looking at somewhere between 4-6% ROI, can go as high as 7/8% if you're v good, and 10% if you're a genius.  Just assume 5% ROI and use that figure to work out how much you can make playing whatever and add in rake back.  100 games a month @ £11 w/5% ROI = £50 profit & 1k c4ps.  etc.....
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: DYM questions? How beatable are they etc. : yes m8,but it really isn't that bad. what i am now doing is playing 3x£5 & 6x£3 as i've already said. then as a £5 game finishes load up another and so on. what i have found is that as most games vary in time to finish that multi bubble table situation isn't that bad and even if/when i get 5 6 or more at the same time you do manage to cope with it. yes,playing 15+ tables as i was,i was making some mistakes,but that's just not the case now playing just the 9. i'm sure you could easily play 8/9 tables. gl :) dev ps;why not play a few £5's first and see how you go then add on some £11's.
    Posted by devonfish5
    Yeah I see what you mean and yeah I think testing myself out at a lower level first may be a good idea as it will be completely different to cash. 
  • edited October 2012
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Oh i so wish that were true :-)
  • edited October 2012
    played u loads this month king as its kings of cash promo lot of hands been play stick to cash m8 ya will do ok we have had a few battles been good 
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: DYM questions? How beatable are they etc. : Ha yeah you killed me earlier with aces over kings... was the last hand of my session - soul destroying! Worst thing was I had a strong gut feeling you had them on the flop and just hoped I could get you to fold turn by quick re-raising all-in. My bad.
    Posted by KING2600
    Well you did flop 2 sets on me yesterday for stacks, so we must be even lol.

Your game is well set up for dyms.

Maybe try some and see how it goes for a few days?
  • edited October 2012
    played u loads this month king as its kings of cash promo lot of hands been play stick to cash m8 ya will do ok we have had a few battles been good 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Yeah we have, cheers. GL at the tables.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: DYM questions? How beatable are they etc. : Well you did flop 2 sets on me yesterday for stacks, so we must be even lol. Your game is well set up for dyms. Maybe try some and see how it goes for a few days?
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Haha I don't remember when I take stacks off people just when they take them off me! Selective memory and all that. 

Yeah I think a few days to try out may be a good idea, just the thought of going back to something I lost at and can now maybe beat is exciting in a way. Moving up in stakes would be similar but that's something that will evolve anyways... just with DYMs it's like adding an extra skill etc.