You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What do I do different?!! Play bingo?!

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
mrdavies Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £36.63
Jawz27 Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £11.18
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

beamer1968 Raise  £1.50 £2.25 £22.50
Silks70 Call  £1.50 £3.75 £23.06
UP4ITRUTWO Fold     
bearlyther Fold     
mrdavies Raise  £5.25 £9.00 £31.38
Jawz27 Fold     
beamer1968 Call  £4.00 £13.00 £18.50
Silks70 Fold     
Flop

• A

mrdavies All-in  £31.38 £44.38 £0.00
beamer1968 All-in  £18.50 £62.88 £0.00
mrdavies Unmatched bet  £12.88 £50.00 £12.88
mrdavies Show
  • Q
  • Q

beamer1968 Show
  • K
  • Q

Turn

River

• J

beamer1968 Win Straight to the Ace £48.20  £48.20

Comments

• edited October 2012
    By going All In, you offered him almost 2:1 odds to win £31
    He was about the same odds of drawing a Jack with 2 cards still to come. 

If you had bet less however, he would have had better odds, so it's hard to see what you could have done without both of you having a bigger stack to begin with. Though you would have lived to fight another day. 

A bad beat I'm afraid. 
  • edited October 2012
    lol why do you shove otf? Joke post right?
  • edited October 2012
    Is that question even relevant lol?! 

Shouldn't you be asking why and how on earth did he call the shove??
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: What do I do different?!! Play bingo?!:
    Is that question even relevant lol?!  Shouldn't you be asking why and how on earth did he call the shove??
    Posted by mrdavies
    You can't change what your opponant does, but you can change your own play.

The shove on the flop is terrible it folds out almost anything you are beating and you get snapped by hands that have you crushed.

Sure this time you got your money in good which is fotrunate to have him drawing that thin but a more reasonable sized bet on he flop and a further bet on the turn probably wins you this pot.
  • edited October 2012
    In hindsight jams completely agree
  • edited October 2012

When you shove the flop is this a bluff to get aq to fold or a value bet to get a pair of 9s to call?

• edited October 2012
    Don't shove flop

Post in bbv
  • edited October 2012
    Complete value bet, had been in a lot of pots with suppose he done exactly what I expected/wanted just happen to hit his only card lol
  • edited October 2012
    Complete value bet, had been in a lot of pots with suppose he done exactly what I expected/wanted just happen t o hit his only card lol
    Posted by mrdavies

But if you've seen him play KQ like this preflop, you must have seen him play Ax like this preflop too?

I aint saying the all-in is wrong.  You might get rid of KK, and some Aces with poor kickers.  And you dont want to play weakand encourage him to go allin himself with JJ or whatever.  But it was obviously a high risk move, and it's no worse losing to KQ than it would have been to AK. AQ, AJ etc.

• edited October 2012
    When you shove the flop is this a bluff to get aq to fold or a value bet to get a pair of 9s to call?
    Posted by bearlyther
    lol how  can AQ or for that amtter any A fold after calling tht bet pre with there stack size in relation to pot?

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: What do I do different?!! Play bingo?! : lol how  can AQ or for that amtter any A fold after calling tht bet pre with there stack size in relation to pot?
    Posted by bolly580

yes exactly lol the point im trying to make to him is that he has to know why hes going allin a lot of people dont understand why there betting.  He has definately got aces in his range after he 3 bets you preflop. out of betting small, checking and moving allin moving allin is the worst option of the 3 here.
  • edited October 2012
    Posted by bearlyther
    Coz he has Queens innit ;)

I bet the all in was within a nanosecond too.....
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: What do I do different?!! Play bingo?! :    out of betting small, checking and moving allin moving allin is the worst option of the 3 here.
    Posted by bearlyther

If you check, are you then folding if oppo goes all in?  What about if he bets half pot?

If you check, and he checks behind, do you check again on turn?

If flop and turn are both checked, what do you do on river?  Check again?  What if he shoves now?

I aint saying that checking is necessarily wrong, but has oppo ever seen us check AK (or any other large Ace) on a board like this after aggressive pre flop action?  So, imo, if we check then we're pretty much giving up on the hand.  Like I say, that may be correct, but if our plan is to fold to any Ace on flop, then why bet so big pre?

• edited October 2012
    Agree with all posts,played it terribely on flop, and there was no real reason other than just to make him fold anything other than an ace. but thank you..

And my verdict/confession is... I was actually tilting like a mad man at this point after the day i had yesterday and werent thinking straight, playing this again im probably checking flop, betting turn, check folding maybe calling river depending on bet size!

Thank for all the advice.
  • edited October 2012
    Padzz77 I might be wrong but I don't think bearly is saying checking is best, just that checking is better than shoving.

There's no way we can put him on JUST Ax hands, so betting the flop gets value from and protects against his weaker PPs and Tx hands. It's also what we'd do when we had AK, AQ, AJ, AT etc .

Think it goes ... betting £7.50ish />>>>  checking >>>> shoving
  • edited October 2012
    Padzz77 I might be wrong but I don't think bearly is saying checking is best, just that checking is better than shoving. There's no way we can put him on JUST Ax hands, so betting the flop gets value from and protects against his weaker PPs and Tx hands. It's also what we'd do when we had AK, AQ, AJ, AT etc . Think it goes ... betting £7.50ish /> />>>  checking >>>> shoving
    Posted by Lambert180

Yeah, I realised he meant that betting was best.  I agree with both of you that betting is miles and miles better than either checking or all-in.

But I would never ever check (unless - which is higlhy unlikely - I was certain oppo would never falsely repesent an Ace), whereas I might sometimes go all-in.   [Not with these stack sizes though.]