You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Getting Involved straight after a table shuffle

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi All

Fairly new to poker, so appreciate any comments/advice on the following:

Playing a GTD. Speed, laying 9th, with about 5,600 chips. Blinds at 200/400.

Shuffled onto a new table, straight onto the button and picked up KJ suited. Everyone folded round to me. I min raised and big blind went All In from a 8,000 stack.

I called and he turned over a pair of 10s. He beat me with trip 10s.

Having had no read on the player or table my question is:

1)    Should I have folded to his All In and waited to get a read on the player.
2)   Gone All in myself initially
3)   Played as I did which Is OK, that's how it goes.

Any thoughts/comments much appreciated.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Perosnaly id never call an ai with kj suited unless I was close to being blinded out or big chip leader
  • edited November 2009

HI MATE,PERSONALLY I WOULD HAVE FOLDED AFTER HIS ALL-IN YOU STILL HAD PLENTY OF CHIPS TO FIND A BETTER SPOT THAN THIS.EVEN IF YOU WOULD HAVE SHOVED YOU WERE DEFO BEING CALLED ANYWAY.JUST UNLUCKY FOR YOU AND BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME.GL M8

• edited November 2009
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM VIRACOCHA .
  • edited November 2009
    I would have put it down to the shove, he is ahead with any pair, K Q, A J, A Q, A K Etc in fact ace high he is winning unless you hit. The raise is fine as your testing them to see if they will defend their blinds, he gave you an answer lol

I would lay this down here and observe his play for a little while, build a range on him and if his is pushing a lot then you can find a better place to trap him with a made hand or to push before him where he can't call 
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Getting Involved straight after a table shuffle:
    Hi All Fairly new to poker, so appreciate any comments/advice on the following: Playing a GTD. Speed, laying 9th, with about 5,600 chips. Blinds at 200/400. Shuffled onto a new table, straight onto the button and picked up KJ suited. Everyone folded round to me. I min raised and big blind went All In from a 8,000 stack. I called and he turned over a pair of 10s. He beat me with trip 10s. Having had no read on the player or table my question is: 1)    Should I have folded to his All In and waited to get a read on the player. 2)   Gone All in myself initially 3)   Played as I did which Is OK, that's how it goes. Any thoughts/comments much appreciated.
    Posted by Viracocha
     Hi Welcome to the forum.

1st of all NEVER MIN RAISE! its a horibble thing to do. Raise 3 or 4 times the blind, and even more if there are limpers before you.

KJ is also known as one of the most overplayed hands in poker. Its fine to raise with but to call an all in with it is a no no. Think to yourself, what are they shoving with? would they do it with K,10 Q10 QJ ? Thats all your beating really. As it turned out you were in a 50/50 race and got unlucky.

Personally id make the raise 1200 and fold to the shove, you still have 10 blinds left and can shove at a better spot (All you have lost is 3 blinds, if you steal the blinds on 2 more occasions you get it back).

Hope this helps, visit the poker strategy section there are penty of tips there
  • edited November 2009
      You are right about one thing. When you have been moved table you have no reads available to you. You were lucky enough to go on the button which gave you the time to check the table out before having to put any chips into the pot.

For me the min raise is only a ploy you use if you are trying to induce a reraise as the bet itself really does very little and shows more weakness than strength at these blind levels.

If you are going to raise you should out a bigger raise in. But a bigger raise in this instance would come very close to pot committing you. When the blinds are creeping up on you particularly in a speed tourny you have to find your spot and move. You had 14 BB so you have lots of fold equity and can get lots of players to lay down their hands. When you saw your hand you had i think already decided to go all the way with it, so if that is the case then i think going all in first would be a better move as you can steal the blinds easier with that big a bet.

Personally i would have folded and given myself a chance to get a feel for the table before making any move so i could figure out where the weakness was that i could exploit

• edited November 2009
    I think the point here is that you knew nothing about this player's style of play. He might be a loose speculator or a rock. Your hand certainly wasn't worth risking your tournament with against an unknown. AA KK QQ AKs should have been the maximum range when just joining a table and faced with an all-in.
  • edited November 2009
    The times I've been put on a new table, thought I'd hit a hand and lost are 4-1. I have told myself not to play unless absolute monster.  
  • edited November 2009
    As you'd just moved tables and had a healthy chip stack you should have folded pre. No information about the table, so don't risk your whole stack. Like somebody already mentioned, you were on the button so had ample time to check out your opponents.
  • edited November 2009
    Cheers for the replies.

I kinda knew I had made the wrong play, regardless of loosing.

So I suppose a leason was learnt which may be more valuable long term than getting lucky and winning the hand.

I'll also make sure I post in the right section next time as well ;-)