You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rake why??

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat

Was just thinking about this...

eg On a NL50 table it all goes in pre we both have AK so split pot yea?

The rake is 65p!

Yea might not sound much but when playing more than 1 table for hours on end that soon adds up.

Why do we get charged rake for split pots? if anything it should be money back eg not be in the loss for it.

Not a rant was just curious to why this is

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Because you're paying for the priveledge of using the site's software. The only time you don't pay rake is if the pot is ended before you see a flop (which is why you don't get C4P for these hands).

With 2 all-ins, you see the full hand to showdown so you pay rake. When you play cash you have to beat your opponents and the rake.
  • edited October 2012
    so youre saying you should only pay rake if somebody wins a hand outright? 
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Rake why??:
    Was just thinking about this... eg On a NL50 table it all goes in pre we both have AK so split pot yea? The rake is 65p! Yea might not sound much but when playing more than 1 table for hours on end that soon adds up. Why do we get charged rake for split pots? if anything it should be money back eg not be in the loss for it. Not a rant was just curious to why this is
    Posted by kidwiz10

I hate this too.  I aint saying its unfair or a rip off or anything like that.  BUT would be a nice (and cheap) advertising gimic for Sky to say that it will ensure that, in split pots, no "winning" player ends up losing cash due to rake.

ie it would not have to be that Sky got no rake at all on the hand.  But they could agree to limit themselves to a maximum of all the dead money, and let the splitters get all of their stakes back.

• edited October 2012
    I've mentioned this before. There should be no circumstance when you have a winning hand you end up losing money. It's just wrong.
  • edited October 2012
    I totally agree! how can u have a hand you win (jointly) and end up losing money lol
  • edited October 2012
    i disagree rake isnt applied to a persons winnings it is applied to the pot amount before anyone has won or lost anything so there really is nothing wrong.