You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Optimal time to end cash session???

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
Today I finished a cash session because I was 2 buy in's in profit and any time i can finish a session that much in profit, I'm happy. Problem was, it was only 6 mins after sitting down at 2 tables. Now I know this is known as ratholing but is it profitable in the long run to take early double ups or should I carry on playing? I can only manage a hourish at the tables in the evening so I can't exactly grind up profits quickly.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I'd say that may have been too quickly but it's all personal.

Often you can use the big stack to your advantage. You also sometimes just go on nice heaters on certain tables and you could have ended up 4/5/6+ buyins up after an hour.

Then again you could have lost it all.

I don't tend to let the size of my stacks dictate when I stop. It boils down to if i'm losing concentration/lost interest or I feel there are too many better players than me.

• edited October 2012
    I posted something about this recently....

IMO, the only reasons you should ever leave a table are:

1) You don't wanna play anymore

2) You aren't good enough to beat the table

3) You're tilting.

Leaving because you're X amount up or X amount down doesn't really make any sense, assuming you're still playing your A game. If  winning 2 BIs, means you tighten up and start playing differently, then it is a form of tilt and you should try to get out of this habit.

People leave to 'lock up' a profit, but the next time you sit at the table, you've got 100xBB again and you're gonna need to risk it again, to win more. The only reason to 'hit and run' is in games like roulette where you are losing long term, so the only way you can ever really win is to hit and run.

If you're a winning player, then you are making money every time you're sat at the table you can beat, so the more you sit the more you win.

EDIT: I'm not saying you do this, but another point to this topic is, if you run away every time for double up (for instance), then when someone is sat with £20 @ 8NL how do you stack them? You can't. Sitting with big stacks is how you win big pots.
  • edited October 2012
    I have just left all my tables, as I feel I have played too long today, and am not making the optimal decisions.

Always a good time to stop.
  • edited October 2012
    Normally 1 hand before I do......
  • edited October 2012

Leave the table when you are winning or losing, not when you are broke.
  • edited October 2012
    optimal time to end a cash session is just to leave when you want to leave imo
  • edited October 2012
    Do what I do and only leave when you head hits the keyboard!
  • edited October 2012

Shamelessly stolen from Elements of Poker - Tommy Angelo:

You quit right now, a winner.  We have established as a given that you will be happy.  We will call the amount of happiness you will feel X

You continue to play and you win some more money before quitting.  You will be happier than X, but not all that much happier.  You'll probably be around one-fifth X to one-tenth X happier.

You continue to play and you end up losing for the day, No more X for you.  Nothing but Y, Y, Y.

There's a whole section in this book dedicated to 'quitting' - I'd thoroughly recommend reading it, happy to lend it to you if you want it?

• edited October 2012
    To be honest Sly, I think this kinda thinking is really flawed and doesn't make any sense. It only really applies to gambling in negative expectation games like roulette. The phrase 'quit while you're ahead' works for these games, cos the ONLY way you will ever make money from them games is to get lucky and run.

Hopefully we aint trying to win at poker by being lucky, it's by having more skill than the opponent, so no amount of BIs won or lost should change things if you're playing bad players.

It's the same as Wacko (I only choose him cos he's a sicko lol) playing an MTT, winning it and thinking, well I won't play anymore tonight cos I've won one now. Everytime he sits down, he is effectively making money cos he's better than probably 99% of MTT players on here, so he wants to sit down as much as possible.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Optimal time to end cash session???:
    To be honest Sly, I think this kinda thinking is really flawed and doesn't make any sense. It only really applies to gambling in negative expectation games like roulette. The phrase 'quit while you're ahead' works for these games, cos the ONLY way you will ever make money from them games is to get lucky and run. Hopefully we aint trying to win at poker by being lucky, it's by having more skill than the opponent, so no amount of BIs won or lost should change things if you're playing bad players. It's the same as Wacko (I only choose him cos he's a sicko lol) playing an MTT, winning it and thinking, well I won't play anymore tonight cos I've won one now. Everytime he sits down, he is effectively making money cos he's better than probably 99% of MTT players on here, so he wants to sit down as much as possible.
    Posted by Lambert180
     I would say at least 99.875%
  • edited October 2012
    Leave immediately if you feel you are tilting other than that no reason to stop
  • edited October 2012
    Leave immediately if you feel you are tilting other than that no reason to stop
    Posted by bearlyther
    I wish I did this last night!

Went on a right old monkey tilt.

Apologies if I upset anyone.
  • edited October 2012
    When you feel it just ain't going your way
  • edited October 2012
    For me it's either when I'm bored and not concentrating/woud rather watch TV etc... other 1 is if I notice all other 5 players on the table are regs so there is little or no edge, especially if I have a decentish stack.

Personally I think you should know when it's time as soon as u lose concentration
  • edited October 2012
    Posted by rancid
    +1 to this.......I stayed on a good half hour longer than I should have tonight thinking things will turn around........they didnt and I lost another BI

If this happens.....STAND ASAP
  • edited October 2012
    Posted by rancid
    Also when someone cracks your kings with 10 8 allin pre flop.

Oh that was you lol.

Another dire sesion I have given up after an hour.
  • edited October 2012
    Shamelessly stolen from Elements of Poker - Tommy Angelo: You quit right now, a winner.  We have established as a given that you will be happy.  We will call the amount of happiness you will feel X You continue to play and you win some more money before quitting.  You will be happier than X, but not all that much happier.  You'll probably be around one-fifth X to one-tenth X happier. You continue to play and you end up losing for the day, No more X for you.  Nothing but Y, Y, Y. There's a whole section in this book dedicated to 'quitting' - I'd thoroughly recommend reading it, happy to lend it to you if you want it?
    Posted by Slykllist
    This me likeeee a lot, wish I heeded it more. Thanks for the shamelessly stolen quote Sly.