You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Keeping the pot small when it's likely a split pot?

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I played this hand today:
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SB Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £9.51
BB Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £25.59
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K

jugglegeek Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £11.14
MP
Fold        
CO
Fold        
BTN
Fold        
SB
Fold        
BB
Call   £0.20 £0.65 £25.39
Flop

• Q

BB Check        
jugglegeek Bet   £0.49 £1.14 £10.65
BB Call   £0.49 £1.63 £24.90
Turn

BB Check        
jugglegeek Check        
River

BB Bet   £1.22 £2.85 £23.68
jugglegeek Call   £1.22 £4.07 £9.43
BB
Show

jugglegeek Show
  • Q
  • K

jugglegeek Win Full House, 9s and Queens £3.76   £13.19
I got some stick in the chat box about "slow rolling" because I used up much of my timebar pondering the following question:

"Is there any point in raising here?"

It's unlikely but not impossible he has a nine. In which case he snap shoves over my raise and pot odds probably dictate that I have to call. So any raise from me should be a shove. But then what does that achieve. He's not folding a queen and he's not going to call with any PP. He never has KK/AA in this spot.

If he has a queen then raising just creates a bigger pot to split, resulting in more rake for both of us. Is my logic here sound?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    This could do with being moved to the clinic.

Personally I think you played too tight. Players don't like folding a FH so they can call with all of their pocket pairs.

Ok there is a small chance he has a 9 but that's unlikely. With how the hand was played and us holding K/Q the chances of them holding Aces/Kings or Queens are slim.

• edited October 2012
    yeah you didnt play it v.well imo

I probs bet ott, but if I check I'm definitely raising otr cos you've totally under repped your hand and could still get called by a lot worse, esp at 10nl. 

in fact i def bet the turn, can get so much value here

and it isn't likely it's going to be a split pot, it's much more likely he has an underpair/A high
  • edited October 2012
    I think your logic here is fine. Only mistake I see is not betting turn.
    Percival. I'm really struggling to see how underpair/ a high likely is villains most likely hand.
    Nothing to do with looking at hand history I don't suppose?
  • edited October 2012
    I just think there's way more underpairs in his range here, and since hero checked ott villain could be vbetting much worse imo.

And usually I'd say calling is the best play otr, but because it's 10nl and we pretty much have the nuts and have underepped our hand, I think we get paid off enough of the time. but like I said I do prefer just betting the turn here.

nothing to do with the results

edit: admittedly villain shouldn't really be vbetting 22-88, perhaps 1010-JJ... but players at this limit don't always think thoroughly and only take their own cards into consideration
  • edited October 2012
    Fair enough, don't really play these stakes.
    I understand what you're saying.
    Bit nitty but what's your plan on river when you raise and he shoves?
  • edited October 2012
    never raise folding the river w/ 100bb idon't think. I just call and expect a split, but I think the amount of times he just flats with worse makes it ok
  • edited October 2012
    bet, get all money in - you have a house -

u make it easy for oppo to check down an underhouse