You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Help with understanding of Omaha Hi-Lo hand

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Gents,

Just started playing Omaha Hi-Lo SnGs and thought i was understanding the rules but this hand below kind of threw me.  I thought as i had A 2 then i would have the lowest hand but he won both hands and i cant understand why. Appreciate an explanation. Cheers

Hand History #578353228 (17:22 24/10/2012)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceD96RNWESmall blind 15.0015.001385.00TalonBig blind 30.0045.002090.00 Your hole cards2K7A   jason885Fold    BigVernonFold    warticFold    hisaronuFold    D96RNWECall 15.0060.001370.00TalonCheck    Flop  587   D96RNWEBet 30.0090.001340.00TalonCall 30.00120.002060.00Turn  J   D96RNWEBet 60.00180.001280.00TalonCall 60.00240.002000.00River  A   D96RNWEBet 120.00360.001160.00TalonCall 120.00480.001880.00D96RNWEShow2K7A   TalonShowQ456   TalonWin highStraight to the 8240.00 2120.00TalonWin low7-low240.00 2360.0

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Not very good at explaining things but your 5 card low was the A2 from your hand and the 5 7 8 from the board given you an 8 low

Talons low was the 4 and 6 from his hand and the A 5 7 from the board giving him a 7 low
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Help with understanding of Omaha Hi-Lo hand:
    Not very good at explaining things but your 5 card low was the A2 from your hand and the 5 7 8 from the board given you an 8 low Talons low was the 4 and 6 from his hand and the A 5 7 from the board giving him a 7 low
    Posted by shuv
    AH right i get it now. Just trying to get my head round the rules. fun game though.  What are the best cards to have to play with?? pocket pair, A2, suited cards, cards that will connect??
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Help with understanding of Omaha Hi-Lo hand : AH right i get it now. Just trying to get my head round the rules. fun game though.  What are the best cards to have to play with?? pocket pair, A2, suited cards, cards that will connect??
    Posted by D96RNWE
    AA23 double suited the best starting hand in the game.  Lot better people at the game than me will i'm sure give you some good pointers.

Good luck and run good.
  • edited October 2012
    hi, you want to look up the hutchinson hand scoring system and go from there.

in the hand you played you flopped the nut low=POT bet, turn brings the flush card=POT bet repping good flush plus nut low. the river was unfortunate as it counterfiets your half of the pot.

In general, excluding bluffs, you put money in when you have a great hand for high or low and a chance at the other OTF. paired hands apart from AA/KK only have alittle value, hand like QQ92 are total JUNK
    you need cards around flopped sets to help improve to a low or a high hand-do not BOMB the pot early SNG even with top set without 'escape routes' to a low or straight/flush.

the Hi/Lo free internet articles are a good start, supersystem 2 has a section on limit OMA8 which has some good strategy and how to play hands.

If you play good hands, only get involved OTF with nut/2 way draws you should beat the game. That means on a 4 way flop of 45T (you A3QJ) and there's 3 poeple who bet/call before you Fold!

• edited October 2012
    hi, you want to look up the hutchinson hand scoring system and go from there. in the hand you played you flopped the nut low=POT bet, turn brings the flush card=POT bet repping good flush plus nut low. the river was unfortunate as it counterfiets your half of the pot. In general, excluding bluffs, you put money in when you have a great hand for high or low and a chance at the other OTF. paired hands apart from AA/KK only have alittle value, hand like QQ92 are total JUNK you need cards around flopped sets to help improve to a low or a high hand-do not BOMB the pot early SNG even with top set without 'escape routes' to a low or straight/flush. the Hi/Lo free internet articles are a good start, supersystem 2 has a section on limit OMA8 which has some good strategy and how to play hands. If you play good hands, only get involved OTF with nut/2 way draws you should beat the game. That means on a 4 way flop of 45T (you A3QJ) and there's 3 poeple who bet/call before you Fold!
    Posted by suzy666
    THanks for that Suzy.  I have been doing ok in SnGs by trying to do what you've said in your post so will keep it up and read up some on the hands, odds etc
  • edited October 2012
    hi, the real trick is too establish a clean image, play your good hands fast, pretty much always then you can get away with a well timed bluff or two when the blinds go up