You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

For Richer For Poorer - Victoria Coren

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
Read this whilst on hoiliday over the last week.

What a bloody brilliant book, one of the most engaging and entertaining pieces of literature I've read in a long time.  I'd throroughly recommend it to anyone who loves poker and appreciates good literature, her writing style is a joy to read.

Comments

• edited October 2012

Totally agree. Do try & read this, it is superb.

I doubt I've ever enjoyed any book based around the poker world more than this, it is a splendid tome.

Vicky is the daughter of Alan Coren, who was famously witty on the BBC "News Quiz" amongst other shows, & was editor of "Punch". He was an immensely gifted man, & his daughter appears to have inherited his talents. She has a brother, Giles, who writes for The Times. To say that Giles is "controversial" would be an understatement, but that is another story, for another day.

Vicky writes newspaper & magazine articles, books, plays, & has a regular TV Show. Pretty successful poker player, too, & she won the EPT at her "home" Venue, The Vic, a few years back.

I am biased, of course, because I adore Vicky for so many reasons, she is so bright, witty, sharp, & engaging, & as it happens, we are reasonably well acquainted. Yup, I run good.

I believe Vicky will be on HIGNFY this week, alongside, amongst others, the extraordinary character, Conrad Black.

Now this might seem "thin", but it's true. I was at The Vic last night, & Vicky & I shared a Table, sat next to each other, if we can ignore the Dealer. As ever, she brightened the table banter up many-fold, & we all had a wonderful hour or two. Unfortunately, playing an Omaha 8 or Better Tourney, on a K-9-8 flop, she ran her set of 8's into top set, & that was that. Booooo!

Vicky is engaged to comedian & general all round good egg David Mitchell, & they get married next month. It's not everyone who gets to plug their book duriung their Wedding Vows.....

• edited October 2012
    Were you the Tuesday night player who broke her heart Tikay?
  • edited October 2012
    Couldn't agree more. Great book, very good writer, funny and gorgeous. Tikay your so lucky to know her. And I hate David Mitchell :)
  • edited October 2012
    She is a brilliant writer.  Not read the book but will ask Santa to bring it. I recall she wrote a brilliant piece in the Guardian on the ghouls who applied to attend a fake funeral she arranged after her fathers funeral was attended by fake friends.  I was lucky to be on her table for an hour or two on another site a while back. There was a "bounty" on her head and she had  about 3k railers!! She was very funny and had some great "put-downs" to some over amorous offers.  Well, I had to try didn't I?  ;-))
  • edited October 2012
    I will defo purchase this book 

It would be fantastic if Vicky could make an appearance on Channel 861.. would be epic!

• edited October 2012
    I have read this book and have to agree it is a brilliant read,Tikay work your magic and get Vicky to appear on the show.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: For Richer For Poorer - Victoria Coren:
    I have read this book and have to agree it is a brilliant read,Tikay work your magic and get Vicky to appear on the show.
    Posted by Spikelad
    ^^^THIS^^

Get her on the show please
  • edited October 2012

Get Vicky on?

First, I need to seek the Producer's view, then, if approved, I'd need to ask Vicky, who is pretty busy with her own schedule, including a lot of TV stuff.

But I'll try!

This week's edition of HIGNFY is recorded today, for transmission tomorrow (Friday), Vicky will be on it, as will a fascinating & fiesty character called Conrad Black. Well worth watching, I'd say.  

• edited October 2012
    I'd love to see her on the show but isn't she sponsored by a rival site?
  • edited October 2012
    I'd love to see her on the show but isn't she sponsored by a rival site?
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Didn't stop Neil Channing or numerous others.
  • edited October 2012
    I will defo purchase this book  It would be fantastic if Vicky could make an appearance on Channel 861.. would be epic!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    +1

Get her on...bang a gong...get her on
  • edited October 2012
    Get Vicky on? First, I need to seek the Producer's view, then, if approved, I'd need to ask Vicky, who is pretty busy with her own schedule, including a lot of TV stuff. But I'll try! This week's edition of HIGNFY is recorded today, for transmission tomorrow (Friday), Vicky will be on it, as will a fascinating & fiesty character called Conrad Black. Well worth watching, I'd say.    
    Posted by Tikay10

Caught the tail end of this, Vicky was, as always, very good. Conrad Black, in my opinion, was there just for Mr Hislop to have a go at!! And as usual, a lot of the vitriolic abuse missed the target!!
  • edited October 2012
    I have two say, along with Gus Hansens "every hand revealed", this is my favourite Poker book.

Helps that I got it for free from winning a comp on Sky Poker.  ;o)

Amongst her many writing peices, Vicky also wrote an empassioned Blog regarding the womens only event at the WSOP in Vegas. It is a very witty, down to earth peice regarding a certain male player that decided to bust the womens party 

Well worth a read 
  • edited October 2012
    Seen on her on a few panel shows recently, one of which was with David Mitchell (on the opposite team), "Have i got news for you" and also political debate programmes. Would make a great guest on 861

Paul
  • edited October 2012
    ive got this book in my collection somwhere, great read. if any of you lads who havent read it want it ill send it to you. maybe see if youse have a book i havent read. ive a few poker books ive read that people can have or ill swap ill look through this week and put a list up
  • edited October 2012
    Richer for Poorer is a great book and i agree with Jock, Every hand revealed is a really good read too.
    One people may not know is 'Big Deal' by Tony Holden, really enjoyed that.
    From what i can remember he plays a year 'on tour' culminating in the World Series Main Event.
    He did 'Bigger Deal' a few years later. Not as good in my opinion but still entertaining.