You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I'm pretty sure I played this hand bad on every street.....how should I have played it?

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I think I fold pre.

Gotta call the flop if you're gonna call pre. Good raise on the turn but I might go a bit bigger, you're letting him call £4 to win £12.

As played, when he 3bets the turn, you probably have to fold but I probably talk myself into going with it and getting it in here.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    OK, I have been having a pretty bad night at the tables already when I get this hand....my head is all over the place and I'm pretty much on tilt.

The villain had been bluffing LOADS, normally calling 1 raise but then folding to a 2nd bet on the turn or river. He had not re-raised at all until this hand and I'm thinking he may have AJ+.....I was wrong!!!

1. Is pre flop 3 bet or fold?
    2. What should I have done post flop given my reads on villain? If I think I'm ahead I'm guessing I should have stuck the lot in on the turn.......
    3. I am poor........help me!
    Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £40.02
    waller02 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £46.94
     Your hole cards
    • A

FlashFlush Fold     
    alias79 Fold     
    wudibluff Fold     
    Raise  £0.45 £0.90 £39.57
    waller02 Call  £0.30 £1.20 £46.64
    Flop

• A

Bet  £0.90 £2.10 £38.67
    waller02 Call  £0.90 £3.00 £45.74
    Turn

Bet  £2.25 £5.25 £36.42
    waller02 Raise  £6.30 £11.55 £39.44
    Raise  £15.75 £27.30 £20.67
    waller02 Call  £11.70 £39.00 £27.74
    River

• Q

All-in  £20.67 £59.67 £0.00
    waller02 Call  £20.67 £80.34 £7.07
    Show

waller02 Show
    • A

Win Straight to the 5 £78.54
  • edited October 2012
    I wouldn't beat myself up over this one too much.
    You're calling pre with a pretty hand to try and hit a wheel or flush draw.
    Never folding top pair to a single bet.
    We hit the magical two pair that puts us in front of all his AK/Q/J hands so have to continue....
    River is first chance to really fold as we are now only beating AK/AJ and missed draws and are beaten by sets,better two pairs or luckbox wheel draws but at odds of 3/1 its a tempting price.

Unlucky :(
  • edited October 2012
    I don't see too many problems here TBH.

Pre - I'm fine with the call, sometimes I 3bet these hands but I call more than I 3bet.  Against this type of player I fold when I lose internet connection.

Flop - Standard fine call

Turn - Fine with the raise normally but we are now going into readless territory, you say you've pretty much been peeling one and then folding to the next barrel.  We don't know how many worse Ax hands or worse two pair hands you're getting value from here and when you raise you're pretty much saying 'I have a hand.'  If he was going to suspect you are bluff raising because you're annoyed with his shenanigans you would have done it on the flop.  You look big here.  Now we don't know if he's a thinking player or not in these spots, not enough history, so we're not sure when he 3bets your raise on the turn if he's still barrelling air (in general unlikely from the average player), value betting with worse (somewhat possible but the average player is flatting their one pair hands here a lot so we're looking at worse two pair hands) or has us crushed (again somewhat possible).  I would fancy another flat here to keep in all of his air (you've said he barrels all the way down) and then depending on the river card and his action I'll decide if I want to get it in.  I hate it when he 3bets the turn but I probably call as well.

River - A couple of better two pair hands now in his range as well as sets and the unlikely straights.  But we're getting a little worse than 3 to 1 and knowing me I just call it off and see the bad news.

I think the real lesson here is to not erase all of our thoughts on what the villain is likely holding and what the villain thinks we're holding when we hit non-nut gin cards.  I used to do it all of the time, jump ahead of a chunk of their range and happily stack off without really thinking about it.
  • edited October 2012
    think it plays itself im calling pre only extra 30 p only way u could get away from the hand is the action on the turn but very hard to cnt believe guy raised pre with 2 3 could never put him on that ul waller
  • edited October 2012
    pre flop- never folding will mix it up with some calls and 3bets

flop- we dont play pre to fold top pair to one street

turn-I think you played the turn fine just very ul your opponent hit the gutterball on turn and dont think we are ever putting 23 in his range and dont think we can raise turn then fold unless we have really gd reads opponent never bluffs in this spot.

so imo just vul in this hand vs this opponent because you had a bad night does not mean you played bad in all the big pots you lost but brilliant your going through the hand history 2 make sure I do the same and i`m always really hard on myself at times lol
  • edited October 2012
    As if you'd fold pre in position, for 30p into 90p, with a suited Ace against a bluffer's raise!

FWIW i thought you played it fine, maybe re-raise him pre, but my game's not much cop either :)
  • edited October 2012
    folding pre?

just dont please dont horrid advice

played basically fine i think
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: I'm pretty sure I played this hand bad on every street.....how should I have played it?:
    I don't see too many problems here TBH. Pre - I'm fine with the call, sometimes I 3bet these hands but I call more than I 3bet.  Against this type of player I fold when I lose internet connection. Flop - Standard fine call Turn - Fine with the raise normally but we are now going into readless territory, you say you've pretty much been peeling one and then folding to the next barrel.  We don't know how many worse Ax hands or worse two pair hands you're getting value from here and when you raise you're pretty much saying 'I have a hand.'  If he was going to suspect you are bluff raising because you're annoyed with his shenanigans you would have done it on the flop.  You look big here.  Now we don't know if he's a thinking player or not in these spots, not enough history, so we're not sure when he 3bets your raise on the turn if he's still barrelling air (in general unlikely from the average player), value betting with worse (somewhat possible but the average player is flatting their one pair hands here a lot so we're looking at worse two pair hands) or has us crushed (again somewhat possible).  I would fancy another flat here to keep in all of his air (you've said he barrels all the way down) and then depending on the river card and his action I'll decide if I want to get it in.  I hate it when he 3bets the turn but I probably call as well. River - A couple of better two pair hands now in his range as well as sets and the unlikely straights.  But we're getting a little worse than 3 to 1 and knowing me I just call it off and see the bad news. I think the real lesson here is to not erase all of our thoughts on what the villain is likely holding and what the villain thinks we're holding when we hit non-nut gin cards.  I used to do it all of the time, jump ahead of a chunk of their range and happily stack off without really thinking about it.
    Posted by TommyD
    hi ty for ur post.

looking at the bold bit I think you misread my original post..........what I meant was the villain had been bluffing loads and when I have raised him, on the flop for example, he has called and then folded to a bet on the turn.

I guess the fact this was the first time he had 3 bet me should have set some alarm bells ringing...but the way he had been playing for the whole session made it hard to fold :(
  • edited October 2012

This may be nitty, but I'm folding the turn to the 3 bet. He never does this with Ak considering the strength you've now shown. If we do call the turn, then I'm definately folding this river. He's never bluffing, he never has worse, his AQ has now improved obv. Hard though when you're having a tough sesh like u said u were

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: I'm pretty sure I played this hand bad on every street.....how should I have played it?:
    I think I fold pre. Gotta call the flop if you're gonna call pre. Good raise on the turn bu [b]t I might go a bit bigger, you're letting him call £4 to win £12.[/b] As played, when he 3bets the turn, you probably have to fold but I probably talk myself into going with it and getting it in here.
    Posted by Lambert180

Isnt that about right?

He isnt gonna fold any better hand.  Not unless we bet huge as a bluff.

So arent we happy if he calls with Ax, flush draw,  straight draw, Tx.  None of those hand are getting the right odds to call are they?