You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

questions for the pros out there

With all the talk here about percentages and pot odds ect, do you guys actually work these out as you are playing or are they committed to memory?
Also how much notice do you take if a player uses all their thinking time to make their play, do you assume they are actualy thinking or just playing lots of tables?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Although I am not a pro, most I would say are committed to memory.

Has he got overcards to my pair? 6 outs?
    Drawing to a flush? 9 outs?
    Open ended straight draw? 8 outs?
    An underpair? 2 outs?

Pokerstove (other calculators are available) can work out most common situations to commit to memory
  • edited November 2009
      The thinking time that a player takes is largely irrelevant. Because of multitabling and other factors it is difficult to get any sort of read on it. If the player takes a long time to act could he be thinking through his decision or has the dog just asked to be fed?

The whole concept of pot odds and implied odds etc is only of relevance to the better and anyone who understands them. When you are playing against people who dont understand the odds they will make crazy calls that they dont have the odds to make. This makes bet sizing difficult because you cant take the odds away from these people.

Some people are better at the mental arithmatic than others and so can do the necessary calculations. But it is only important to know a few basic ones to get a good idea about the odds.

In this example say we are 2 to the flop.

If you have a flush draw or open ended straight draw, then you have 9 or 8 outs respectively. giving you about 32-36% chance of winning if you are behind. This means you need to get odds of 2 to 1 to call a bet.

A pot size bet gives the other person exactly 2 to 1 on their money so will price them in to call with these hands. I think that these are the main 2 to think about if you believe you are ahead in a pot. These are the main drawing hands you will come across and people are reluctant to let them go

You then come across the problem of keeping them in the pot whilst never giving them the correct odds, this is where your margin is. You need to get a good feel for your opponent though and work out if they understand what pot odds are. If they do not understand then correct bet sizing is nigh on impossible

• edited November 2009
    You don't necessarily need to work out the odds to the exact percentage, but knowing how big the pot is and how much you think you can win on later streets in relation to how much you are required to commit will help you massively when calling or raising on draws.

When you're betting out, then 2/3rds of the pot is enough to take away pot odds, however to take away implied odds you need to be able to fold to re-raises if you are only holding a pair, 2 pair or set on wet boards (ie. there are turn/river straights and flushes on the board that easily beat your flopped hand alot of the time)
  • edited November 2009
    committed to memory. If theres a situation i was unsure about i would pokerstove it after the hand for future reference. 

Timing tells are huge against bad players, even some regs have timing tells but they arent so obvious.
  • edited November 2009
    `If you have a flush draw or open ended straight draw, then you have 9 or 8 outs respectively. giving you about 32-36% chance of winning if you are behind. This means you need to get odds of 2 to 1 to call a bet.

A pot size bet gives the other person exactly 2 to 1 on their money so will price them in to call with these hands. I think that these are the main 2 to think about if you believe you are ahead in a pot. These are the main drawing hands you will come across and people are reluctant to let them go`.

I`m no pro, but this is wrong.  You have to calculate your odds with one card to come and the 32-36% is with 2 cards to come, so unless effective stacks are all in, you have no idea if your opponent is going to bet and how much on the river.

A pot size bet here is definitely not pricing you in.
  • edited November 2009
    if u got a flush draw on the flop  9 outs to hit divide your 9 outs in too 47 un seen cards  about  5 to 1 to hit get your % double it add 2   20% chance to hit it  near as dam it same on the river
  • edited November 2009
    Its funny how a lot of pro's also set mine in 3 bet pots 100bb deep. Its so pathetically bad its funny watching them try to explain implied odds to you then when they do the maths they look like the retards they are.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: questions for the pros out there:
    Its funny how a lot of pro's also set mine in 3 bet pots 100bb deep. Its so pathetically bad its funny watching them try to explain implied odds to you then when they do the maths they look like the retards they are.
    Posted by iveyesc
    +1

They seem to think people only 3b AA + KK