You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is bluffing best kept to tourneys

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
robby1 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.22
1Sapper1 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.86
 Your hole cards
  • A

craigcu12 Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £2.29
JDavies011 Fold     
robby1 Call  £0.10 £0.28 £3.12
1Sapper1 Fold     
Flop

• Q
  • K

robby1 Bet  £0.08 £0.36 £3.04
craigcu12 Call  £0.08 £0.44 £2.21
Turn

• J

robby1 Bet  £0.08 £0.52 £2.96
craigcu12 Raise  £0.16 £0.68 £2.05
robby1 Call  £0.08 £0.76 £2.88
River

robby1 Bet  £0.04 £0.80 £2.84
craigcu12 Raise  £0.20 £1.00 £1.85
robby1 Call  £0.16 £1.16 £2.68
craigcu12 Show
  • A

robby1 Show
  • A
  • J

robby1 Win Pair of Jacks £1.07

even though i should have folded the flop i didn't as he had such a low bet and when i saw the Jc i raised the turn and them on the river reraised again to bluff a straight was i just too low in the bet or is it too risky trying to bluff the low tables.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    few points buyin full to £4
    don`t raise under the gun with rag ace at 4nl
    why you calling flop?
    if your raising turn prefer to raise a lot bigger

you should just play a tight aggressive game when playing 4nl try not to bluff at this level ppl like to call I know with experience.
  • edited October 2012

by tight aggressive play do you mean only hands like pairs  suited connectors and AK

• edited October 2012
    Bluffing can be used in MTTs or Cash, in fact SHOULD be used, but only in the right spots.

Generally speaking bluffing at 4NL isn't gonna be a great idea very often.

Raising pre is pretty fine 4handed, might go 16p though. Sounds nitty but I just check/fold the flop, you're very likely to be drawing to 3 outs or runner runner outs.

If you are going to bluff, then bluff bigger. Base your raise sizes around the size of the pot, not the size of his bet. For instance on the turn, your raise means he has to call 8p to win 68p.... pretty good odds if he has any sort of hand.

Then when you raise the river, he has to call 16p to win £1, so again offering him very good odds so he doesn't have to be right very often to make his call fine.
  • edited October 2012
    Generally at 4NL I'd say raise something like....

22+
    ATs+
    AJo+
    KQ

and maybe some bigger suited connectors like 9Ts and JTs.

But the above applies to 6 handed play. I don't think raising A4s is too bad when we're only 4handed.
  • edited October 2012
    i am starting to wonder should i just not bother with the lowest poker limits
    the reason i ask is now doing tight play is causing my decent hands such as KK to be wasted because everyone folds now.
  • edited October 2012
    Don't get disheartened by the micro limits.

The things you learn at these limits, learning to play good solid ABC poker, is mostly what you're gonna use at every single limit. High stakes isn't just all about bluffing, it's still largely about mastering the fundamentals, and then you add in the fancy bits. But you HAVE to learn these ABC basics.

Sometimes people will fold when you have KK but probably no more often than if you were playing more hands. Most people at 4NL don't notice you're not playing alot of hands and then assume this means you are only playing strong hands.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: is bluffing best kept to tourneys:
    Don't get disheartened by the micro limits. The things you learn at these limits, learning to play good solid ABC poker, is mostly what you're gonna use at every single limit. High stakes isn't just all about bluffing, it's still largely about mastering the fundamentals, and then you add in the fancy bits. But you HAVE to learn these ABC basics. Sometimes people will fold when you have KK but probably no more often than if you were playing more hands. Most people at 4NL don't notice you're not playing alot of hands and then assume this means you are only playing strong hands.
    Posted by Lambert180
    well i gota admit i did get a good pay from a differant hand i was bb had Q6 and the SB just limped in with AA so on the flop came QQ9 i went all in and won 2.80 wiith 3 Q
    so maybe i is patients
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: is bluffing best kept to tourneys:
    i am starting to wonder should i just not bother with the lowest poker limits the reason i ask is now doing tight play is causing my decent hands such as KK to be wasted because everyone folds now.
    Posted by craigcu12

Craig i understand your frustration when everyone folds to your raise with a decent hand.I have been playing quite a bit at nl4 recently and you just have to adjust to the table dynamics,you will encounter tables where your raises are respected and also tables where they are not.

Keep playing a solid game and you will be fine.