You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Another of those BRM questions...

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
Basically I think I now suck at poker, I can't get my head around it. Either I've got worse or the standard has got better, but I'm struggling to make any profits on cash, so the plan is to leave it after this month and try all the disciplines.

I think I'd play a select few of the main events (BH and rebuy) and then the other MTTs that are on offer along with some £11 DYMS and a bit of 20nl cash.

What do you think would be a good BR for this. I need to get some confidence back and start cashing money out again!

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Well I'd say you want £500+ absolute minimum to play £11 DYMs and to play 20NL, probably a bit more to be reguarly playing MEs...

Maybe £750 ish
  • edited October 2012
    br management is key here.
    playing £11 dym the swings will be very high.if you and more importantly you br can handle it,that's fine.
    i'm more than comfortable playing the £5's with a br of over £800 now.
    my advice play some £5's first,then go from there.
    good luck.
    :)
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    Imo your not going to improve your game if you change to DYMs.

I think I remember you saying you have a solid MTT record with a big ROI? If so make this your focus.

As for the BRM, have a miniumum of 100x your average buy in. Although you could prob get away with 50 on sky.
  • edited October 2012
    I'm not planning on making DYMs my main game. It will be more MTTs, just with some small DYMs to go along side it and also maybe 1 or 2 tables of cash to reduce bordom.

MTT is definitely my strength and has been for some time... I think the whole reason I moved to cash is a mixture of being able to stand when you want and not keep playing late on and also the C4P bonus'. Getting £300 a month given to you isn't too shabby!!
  • edited October 2012
    Nice one Flash
    I know the feeling and at times on this poker journey, i've thought "god, i don't know what i'm doing here" but you will get good advice in the clinic, i feel. Have you considered just stepping down the £11 dym to £5 say and maybe putting a bit of fun back into the game with learning a new discipline say Omaha just to take the pressure of win/loss away and a feeling of acheivement and 'carefreeness' back. Mind, i can talk about omaha....still haven't plunged myself!!!!!

PS Cheers Flash, writing his has made me realise that i should widen my range, so to speak. I'm going back to .......CASH SCRABBLE!!!! Ha.
  • edited October 2012
    i wouldnt advice playing dyms cash n mtts multitabling geeeeeeeezzzz no way think u would need atleast £500 id say to play 20 nl and £11 dyms imo
  • edited October 2012
    If you're a losing player, no br will save you.

Super nitty responses in this thread though.........
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Another of those BRM questions...:
    If you're a losing player, no br will save you. Super nitty responses in this thread though.........
    Posted by patwalshh
    LOL, agreed, but I wouldn't say I'm a losing player. I just need a change of scenery and get my confidence back!

I like to think I've achieved a lot playing poker, and I've cashed out a lot of money over the years. I just think although I'd like it to be, cash grinding just isn't the way forward for me! I've never been a fan of DYMs, I like the 'normal' STTs with main payout for 1st, and a bit for 2nd. They never seem to run on Sky though :-(.
    MTTs is my biggest edge, sharkscope will show you that, I was just wondering what sort of roll people thought would be best for this, I was thinking £750 but some1 said £500 should be OK, so just wanted to see what more peoples opinion is.
  • edited October 2012
    To be comfortable playing ME's I'd say you want at least £750
  • edited October 2012
    Playing from a roll of £500 as an experienced player should be fine. It is the mental aspect of losing that you are struggling with so a while away from cash and more towards ur strength (MTT) will do u good.  DYM's won't harm ur game short term as I think it's the br part that is getting to u and DYMs should stabilise the downturn in the worst case scenario.

I still advise u to try to satelitte as much as possible into tournies to help the br as well.
  • edited October 2012
    stick to 1 game or the other flashflush dyms or mtts cant play both imo at same time likewise in cash n dyms stick to 1 game
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Another of those BRM questions... : LOL, agreed, but I wouldn't say I'm a losing player. 
    Posted by FlashFlush
    I wasn't implying you're a losing player at all. People were just saying to play DYMs with 80 buy ins+, for me I think it's a huge overkill. Imo, if you think you need that big of a roll, you shouldn't be playing them. But then again, I guess it's down to what works for you. 

In all seriousness, if you're a competent player with a clear edge over the field, 25-30 buyins should surfice for DYMs/Cash.

I'd say 50+ buyins for tournaments though as a minimum. 

I also think that the cash tables will get tons easier over the next few weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised to see you playing on them again. best of luck either way
  • edited October 2012
    stick to 1 game or the other flashflush dyms or mtts cant play both imo at same time likewise in cash n dyms stick to 1 game
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    For competent players this is bad advice imo. 
  • edited October 2012

Surely all the figures in this thread are way within your existing roll? 

I'm guessing that's at least 30x nl40 buy ins? So well north of 1k? With this months rb to come....

Just take the conservative advice, and double it. So you don't even have to worry about brm at all. Go with a grand or something? 

Or 500 and have 500 behind to potentially reload.

Being over-rolled ftw!
  • edited October 2012
    bankroll is dependant on the games you can beat, the field sizes, your winrate, your ability to reload the roll.

mtt variance can be brutal, and increases with field size and with everyone being better. very very large downswings are very easy, just as stupidly big heaters are easy for so many!

do you honestly think you put more work in or deserve to win vs the other cash players? if no put in more work or move down? get some coaching to see what you do don't know. oftentimes for alot of people it's confidence aswell as the ability to play goods.
  • edited October 2012
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Am I going mad.... :s

Isn't your diary for November exactly that?  ... playing DYMs and MTTs lol.

Alot of good players play cash and MTTs at the same time.
  • edited October 2012
    Who are the super nitty ones cos unless I've missed someone I think I went for the biggest amount and even taht I reckon is pretty fair.

£500 is...

45BIs @ 11 DYMs which is fine for a good player

It's 25 BIs @ 20nl which again is fine for a good player.

The only thing is I don't think £500 is enough to be doing them AND playing MEs that are gonna be £20-£50 when you could easily go 5-10 MTTs without a cash and think nothing of it. Hence the suggestion to go £750.

I don't think that's so nitty, and this is from the nittiest BRM nit ever on Sky (with the possible exception of Dohhhhhh)
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Another of those BRM questions...:
    Basically I think I now suck at poker, I can't get my head around it. Either I've got worse or the standard has got better, but I'm struggling to make any profits on cash, so the plan is to leave it after this month and try all the disciplines. I think I'd play a select few of the main events (BH and rebuy) and then the other MTTs that are on offer along with some £11 DYMS and a bit of 20nl cash. What do you think would be a good BR for this. I need to get some confidence back and start cashing money out again!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    In my opinion there is no doubt you are a better than average player at the levels you play cash. By definition then you should make money in the long run. Sometimes things like playing too much can kill that edge you should have over your opponents. Perhaps no poker for a period of time where you could clear your head, then come back fresh and enthusiastic could possibly sort things.

There may be a few leaks in your game that are exacerbating your downswing on cash, like beaneh says a bit of poker training wont do any harm. I know coxylboro can help here and no im not on commission, but he understands sky and the style of most players. Just my two penneth for what its worth.