You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

best way to improve my cash game

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
never been a regular cash game player but often have a blast in the afternoons because of the lack of mtts worth playing, any good tips on how i can improve my game cos im shxx to be honest!!! books or coaching sites possibly???

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I'm in a similar boat, I've recently contacted CoxyLboro about the coaching he offers and his rates look very resonable, just hope they can produce some results.

http://www.coxylboro.com/
  • edited October 2012
    Learn about 3-betting. When to do it, when to flat call, when to call a 3-bet, when to fold, when to 4-bet etc. All things that are very different in cash vs a MTT because of the stack sizes.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: best way to improve my cash game:
    I'm in a similar boat, I've recently contacted CoxyLboro about the coaching he offers and his rates look very resonable, just hope they can produce some results. http://www.coxylboro.com/
    Posted by Slykllist
    i contacted him ages ago, got a few emails back then nothing back from him
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: best way to improve my cash game : i contacted him ages ago, got a few emails back then nothing back from him
    Posted by THEROCK573
    If you're actually gonna get coaching from him then I'm SURE Coxy wouldn't just ignore you. He's a really nice guy for one.

Have you ever played cash for a sustained period at one level and have you shown profits? Not saying you should have, just trying to get an idea of where you are. Basically, if you know how to have a tight opening range, value bet when you think you're ahead and fold when not, then you should playing a month or two at low stakes and just see how you get on.

Just stay disciplined, tilt is bad in any form of poker, but it can be BRUTAL in cash if you don't get a hold of yourself before you blow the lot!

Also, I know it sounds basic but easy to forget, pay attention to how deep you are compared to if you're used to MTTs. Don't start thinking you're committed in a hand if you KNOW you're beat. It's better to fold and save yourself 30xBB than sticking them in when you know you're beat just cos you feel committed. All them 30xBBs really add up!
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: best way to improve my cash game : If you're actually gonna get coaching from him then I'm SURE Coxy wouldn't just ignore you. He's a really nice guy for one. Have you ever played cash for a sustained period at one level and have you shown profits? Not saying you should have, just trying to get an idea of where you are. Basically, if you know how to have a tight opening range, value bet when you think you're ahead and fold when not, then you should playing a month or two at low stakes and just see how you get on. Just stay disciplined, tilt is bad in any form of poker, but it can be BRUTAL in cash if you don't get a hold of yourself before you blow the lot! Also, I know it sounds basic but easy to forget, pay attention to how deep you are compared to if you're used to MTTs. Don't start thinking you're committed in a hand if you KNOW you're beat. It's better to fold and save yourself 30xBB than sticking them in when you know you're beat just cos you feel committed. All them 30xBBs really add up!
    Posted by Lambert180
    never played cash for a consistent time, i just dip in and out really, i play mtts as a rule and have a decent bankroll so ive been playing nl50 and nl100. ive had a few good days and a few bad ones, havent really kept track of wheter im in profit or not, im quiet sure i could beat the lower levels but but my roll is bigger than that level plus im inpatient so would rather just play nl100.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: best way to improve my cash game : If you're actually gonna get coaching from him then I'm SURE Coxy wouldn't just ignore you. He's a really nice guy for one. Have you ever played cash for a sustained period at one level and have you shown profits? Not saying you should have, just trying to get an idea of where you are. Basically, if you know how to have a tight opening range, value bet when you think you're ahead and fold when not, then you should playing a month or two at low stakes and just see how you get on. Just stay disciplined, tilt is bad in any form of poker, but it can be BRUTAL in cash if you don't get a hold of yourself before you blow the lot! Also, I know it sounds basic but easy to forget, pay attention to how deep you are compared to if you're used to MTTs. Don't start thinking you're committed in a hand if you KNOW you're beat. It's better to fold and save yourself 30xBB than sticking them in when you know you're beat just cos you feel committed. All them 30xBBs really add up!
    Posted by Lambert180
    Good advice.

Bets way to improve, depends on the player. If you're new to cash then I'd just suggest playing for a few weeks (put in some decent volume). Then step back look at a results and see if you spot any trends... post in the clinic look up on other sites etc etc.

• edited October 2012
    Ok, well first of all you should definitely keep record of how much you're winning/losing, if you want a copy of the spreadsheet I use to track my cash results then send me a PM with your email addy.

I won't ask you to say what it is but I hope you got a very decent roll then, cos you're on dodgy ground palying 100NL with less than 5k imo.