You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rebuy advice please

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

I won the treasure hunt comp last night on 861 and got a seat into the mini rebuy tonite.

Any advice on rebuys mtt's would be appreciated.

When to rebuy/add-on etc...?

Cheers
Mick

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Really depends on your bank roll and what you're prepared to spend.

It's possible to go deep in these without taking any re-buy or addon, but..... you'll be massively disadvantaged.  Alot of the bigger rolled players will take the re-buy straight away so will effectively double their starting stack.

My personal rule is usually to limit myself to one re-buy and an addon if I think I have a sufficient edge over the field to make the cash.  Ultimately it's up to you, but don't go mad spewing money you can't afford on a tournament you wouldn't usually have even entered.

GL GL
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Rebuy advice please:
    Really depends on your bank roll and what you're prepared to spend. It's possible to go deep in these without taking any re-buy or addon, but..... you'll be massively disadvantaged.  Alot of the bigger rolled players will take the re-buy straight away so will effectively double their starting stack. My personal rule is usually to limit myself to one re-buy and an addon if I think I have a sufficient edge over the field to make the cash.  Ultimately it's up to you, but don't go mad spewing money you can't afford on a tournament you wouldn't usually have even entered. GL GL
    Posted by Slykllist
    Just this bit really +1.

If you're willing to invest £10, rebuy straight away and buy an add on.

If only £5, I'd probably try and make the add on period and then use it, rather than rebuying straight away. 

It's a turbo though, fighting through the rebuy period with 1 stack will be tough, but not impossible. There's gonna be lots of bullets to dodge! 

I rebought 11 times and added on in the £5.50 mini rebuy 2 nights ago, and lasted 1 hand past the addon break so dunno why I'm giving advice on this subject!  :s
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Rebuy advice please:
    In Response to Re: Rebuy advice please : Just this bit really +1. If you're willing to invest £10, rebuy straight away and buy an add on. If only £5, I'd probably try and make the add on period and then use it, rather than rebuying straight away.  It's a turbo though, fighting through the rebuy period with 1 stack will be tough, but not impossible. There's gonna be lots of bullets to dodge!  I rebought 11 times and added on in the £5.50 mini rebuy 2 nights ago, and lasted 1 hand past the addon break so dunno why I'm giving advice on this subject!  :s
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Just this bit really ;)
  • edited November 2012
  • edited November 2012
    As you got in for free, just play it without rebuying or adding on. If you bust out, it's  cost you nothing.
  • edited November 2012
    You have two options in my eyes;

1. treat it as a freeroll, gamble with your free entry and attempt to run up a big stack, if you bust then no big deal, no money was invested and you had some fun.

2. treat it as a proper rebuy, ie you need to take a rebuy in the first hand and take the add-on 100% of the time if you make the break. Personally I enter rebuys only if I'm prepared to pay 5x the buyin, that's the buy-in + an instant rebuy, a double rebuy if I bust and fancy another go, then the add-on.

Anything inbetween is half-hearted and not recommended. Rebuy MTTs, particularly at low stakes, are profitable across all sites because there is so much dead money in the prize pool, ie players who don't rebuy or add-on and therefore have almost no chance of winning.
  • edited November 2012
    I'd just play and see what happens... If you lose your stack early on then it may be an idea to call it a day and try something else...

If however you make it to the add-on period and could really do with the chips then you might as well do it. The amount of chips you get with an add-on is normally more than the rebuy amount, so it's good value. I seem to find that a min cash in the main is the same value as 3 buyins (So for you as your buyin is free you can afford 2 rebuys/1 rebuy + 1 add-on) and still make a profit if you cash.
  • edited November 2012
    FWIW, I often see people talk about rebuying straight away to get double chips. Well unless others do it as well who you feel you have an edge over then there is no point because you can only win the amount of chips your opponent has anyway
  • edited November 2012
    I won the UKOPS 4 mini the other day.. without a rebuy or addon! it was very hard, i would definatly take the add on if i get that far.
  • edited November 2012
    Great advice guys

I'll just see how it goes and make my decision once i start playing.

Cheers
    Mick