You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha - When is it going to take off?

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
After a fairly mind-numbing October grinding low-stake NLH I thought I'd give some PLO a crack today/tonight. There was one 5p5p action table and two 5p10p tables running, and similar numbers at higher stakes. I remember several pros and commentators saying a few months back that it was going to be the next big thing in internet poker, but it seems to have fallen flat on its face. I think that's a shame, it's a great format, much better than the monotony of NLH which seems to have crept into every level of that format of poker. If anyone cares to join me and have some fun I'll be donating on the PLO tables.  

Comments

• edited November 2012
    PLO is getting bigger and bigger. The demand on Sky isn't that large tho. 
  • edited November 2012
    Don't hold your breath, this particular 'next big thing' has always been a minority game (<5% of traffic I believe) and I don't see that ever changing. I don't dispute that Omaha is a great game, it's just that it's never really caught on. Whether you like it or not NLHE remains the king of poker varieties.
  • edited November 2012
    it's a Catch-22 situation. People only see Hold'em on TV so that's what they are familiar with. If there was more Omaha on TV it would take off a bit, but as there's only a small percentage of people playing it, Sky can't give it the TV time at the expense of Hold'Em.
  • edited November 2012
    It's a pity the 2p/4p tables have gone, they helped new players with their first step on the ladder of PLO.

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Omaha - When is it going to take off?:
    It's a pity the 2p/4p tables have gone, they helped new players with their first step on the ladder of PLO.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    +1, it does seem a bizarre decision to get rid of them. 
  • edited November 2012
    If you mean take off like NLHE, then IMO the answer is never. I don't think it will ever be as popular, because for most people it's harder to learn and harder to follow. It's also super swingy, so if you're a recreational player who likes to play for fun and wants to get the most play for their money, they probably don't wanna play a game where it's even more likely than NLHE for you to be able to blow 10BIs in a pretty short space of time, often through no fault of your own.
  • edited November 2012
    traffic on cash games here is 5 times that of a year ago on omaha

played a mad table at 50p-50p last night early this morning

some very good players now play on here regularly at the mid high stakes but in general the omaha standard is way below starz or other sites
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Omaha - When is it going to take off?:
    Posted by AcidMan27
    +1

For the "bi-curious" amongst us. introducing 1/2p tables would have been a better decision than withdrawing 2/4p!!!
  • edited November 2012
    I have been playing poker since late 2006. Back then it was reffered to as the game of the future. I also remember Nick Wealthall on pnl saying its always going to be known as the game of the future.
  • edited November 2012
    If Sky were able to find a way to televise Omaha like they do with hold-em I'm sure it would generate more interest and traffic on here.

They have said before they don't have the capabilities at the moment but hopefully they can get over this in the future. 

I know the basics of the game but it would be great if the channel could make it the subject of a few Poker School episodes.
  • edited November 2012
    can't beat the easy 2 cards ALL IN!!!! of hold em