You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Pop ups killing the forum experience

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
any danger we can set up the pop ups properly so that when they are forced on us they 

a) don't stop all usage of that window

b) when we then force the window to refresh losing all data entered it doesn't just open the page and repop up the stupid popup that we've just seen and had to force get rid of

c) have this problem go on for a 5 minute period. 

why on earth do I need to see the same pop up constantly for 5 minutes and then every time I click ok close, it just pops it back up to again wrestle control of my browser away from me?

the number of times I am trying to type a post and it locks me out and deletes everything I have done is inane.

Combine the fact that if you write a post of any length it just looks at you blankly as it reloads the page after you press post, you scroll down to view your post and there is nothing there you recieve no message but then if you scroll up it says "oh yeah we've logged you out without telling you and now deleted all the information you tried to post". 

That's just really really helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    +2

Though surely a bigger priority is sorting the unfair rakeback system currently in place?
  • edited November 2012

So are you basically asking for a pop up to let you know when you are logged out??
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Pop ups killing the forum experience:
    So are you basically asking for a pop up to let you know when you are logged out??
    Posted by MAXALLY

YES ROFL

It'd be nice if it says

ooops you've been timed out (make up a reason like security if you want) and then offer us the chance to login and not have lost everything we just wrote.

I only posted because I wrote a joke long post with tonnes of maths examples for someone in the clinic who i've been trying to help and it popped up to tell me DEFFO DONT MISS OUT. so ok close..... nope it wont let me close.

so have to refresh and then you lose what you've written and to tilt you even more it takes circa 4 minutes of keeping refreshing for the pop up to not be coming up. 

it's also annoying to get them advertising comps that you are already in !
  • edited November 2012
    don't forget you can register for a tournament
  • edited November 2012
    I copy any long posts just in case I get timed out.
  • edited November 2012
    I agree with the OP, this is a frustrating flaw that should be fixed.

Take a tip from me; always type any long posts in a word processor then copy/paste them into the 'your post' box here. That way it's all still there if you get logged out half way through.
  • edited November 2012
    I agree with the OP, this is a frustrating flaw that should be fixed. Take a tip from me; always type any long posts in a word processor then copy/paste them into the 'your post' box here. That way it's all still there if you get logged out half way through.
    Posted by GaryQQQ

+1  I always do this now. 

• edited November 2012
    +1million

I did notice a pop up a few weeks back saying I had been logged out, it then let me log in and saved what I had written.

It's the first time i've ever seen this but it's never popped up again. I got my hopes up that it was a new feature.

• edited November 2012
    + another 1

Sure this got brought up a good few months ago but nothing ever came of it

Paul
  • edited November 2012

this has never happened to me but i dont post so much so maybe im just lucky :D

• edited November 2012
    The number of people who regularly say they type all their posts into a word document (not just the people above) before posting clearly shows there's a problem with this.

It happens to me all the time and I still never learn to use word/notepad, just cba.
  • edited November 2012
    Just keep the posts short and sweet and everything will be ok.
  • edited November 2012
    The number of people who regularly say they type all their posts into a word document (not just the people above) before posting clearly shows there's a problem with this. It happens to me all the time and I still never learn to use word/notepad, just cba.
    Posted by Lambert180

it's hard because it's not always from the outset that you intend to write such a long post. 

I normally don't realise how long my post was till I lose it and realise i'm not willing to type it all out again!

It'd be nice if you could just actually dismiss the pop up properly, and have the login area remember the content you had already entered.
  • edited November 2012
    Bump..........it's Friday night, I know the rebuy open is at 8.........I've clicked close numerous times......I DON'T NEED THE REMINDER EVERY 30 SECONDS!!!!!
  • edited November 2012
    Bump..........it's Friday night, I know the rebuy open is at 8.........I've clicked close numerous times......I DON'T NEED THE REMINDER EVERY 30 SECONDS!!!!!
    Posted by phil12uk

phil? when you click close is it closing now?

I'm confused because yesterday (at non main event times etc) the popups I got I was able to close. I'm not sure whether it's just around main event time or what. or whether they have fixed the non closeyness and not said!
  • edited November 2012
    It's gone now (waiting for the ticker to tell me I can still late reg) but in 20 minutes of trawling the forum I clicked close at least 20 times.
  • edited November 2012
    It's gone now (waiting for the ticker to tell me I can still late reg) but in 20 minutes of trawling the forum I clicked close at least 20 times.
    Posted by phil12uk

did the pop up

physically close then reappear, or just when you click close nothing happens and you hvae to physically refresh the page?
  • edited November 2012
    Just kept on popping back up after disappearing for a momentous 30 seconds maximum at a time
  • edited November 2012
    Just kept on popping back up after disappearing for a momentous 30 seconds maximum at a time
    Posted by phil12uk

that sounds like an improvement! :)
  • edited November 2012
    thread of the year imo... somone give that man a gold star. 
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Pop ups killing the forum experience : that sounds like an improvement! :)
    Posted by beaneh

ffs maybe not.

it's just come up about 20 times trying to put in my last post.

now though it seems like i'm still in control of the text input area to make a post, if I can click post ima be happy if not farking sigh (it seems as though now I have enough control to copy paste the text before doing anything rather than lose it, so deffo seems like some kind of improvement). still ridiculous that you cant get rid of them. fwiw once you move the cursor out of the text area like you've tried to click submit on the post or close on the message you then lose all control and go back to the having to lose everything.

so if whilst writing a post that message comes up, don't click it, keep the focus of the cursor in the text area, control A, control C. then refresh the page, wait till it stops re popping up then control v what you had typed back into the input box.

earlier it was the 8pm main event message and now its the 8.55 late reg main event message that wont dissapear or stop popping up.
  • edited November 2012
    I get the pop-up. I click close. It goes away and doesn't come back. I continue with my pointless forum spamming...

I don't know what you guys are doing differently.
  • edited November 2012
    I get the pop-up. I click close. It goes away and doesn't come back. I continue with my pointless forum spamming... I don't know what you guys are doing differently.
    Posted by BorinLoner

the pop up wont go when you click close. and you cant do anything bar refresh the page to clear it. if you refresh then it comes back up until it reaches it's time limit of 3 minutes or w/e the message stays up for. tis pretty ridic.
  • edited November 2012
    Yeah you must be one of the lucky ones Borin.

It's a popup that you can't close and it blocks everything and won't allow you to copy and paste what youv'e written and the only way out is to refresh and lose everything you've written.

OR

On a similar topic, the site decides to time you out, but doesn't tell you until you click Add Post, by which point it tells you you've timed out but has deleted your entire post.
  • edited November 2012
    have to say i'm with Borin on this.
    Just click on it and it's gone, no probs here.
    Regards Alan.
  • edited November 2012
    have to say i'm with Borin on this. Just click on it and it's gone, no probs here. Regards Alan.
    Posted by ajmilton
    Just click & its gone lol, u must be a lucky guy, on certain days im just clickin for fun as it just pops back up.
  • edited November 2012
    If you're using Firefox to browse the site go grab yourself a plugin/add-on named Lazarus, it's an awesome form recovery tool, so if a site stops working, your browser crashes or anything else then you can simply right click the form and recover what you already typed out :-)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/

:-)
  • edited November 2012
    Yeah you must be one of the lucky ones Borin. It's a popup that you can't close and it blocks everything and won't allow you to copy and paste what youv'e written and the only way out is to refresh and lose everything you've written. OR On a similar topic, the site decides to time you out, but d
    Posted by Lambert180
    oesn't tell you until you click Add Post, by which point it tells you you've timed out but has deleted your entire post.

when this has happend to me it puts my post up as annoymous but if i remember right it only does it if you start a thread
  • edited November 2012
    I get the pop-up. I click close. It goes away and doesn't come back. I continue with my pointless forum spamming... I don't know what you guys are doing differently.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Same for me . Not sure why this should be for some and not others. I have used both IE and firefox so I dont think its the browsers.