You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

River Bets

edited November 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Use Internet Exporer (not the download software or another browser) to find the hand in your hand history, and then copy and paste.

Copy all the columns.  If you only want to copy some of the rows (eg up to where it is back on you for a decision) then that works fine.

Dont copy the bit which includes the hand number.  Just (as you have done) start with the row which gives the column headings "Player" etc.  

I cannot see bet sizes, but I can see you had pocket 8s, flopped a set, and turned quads.  Your opponent had pocket Aces and made a full house on river.

I dont really think you have much choice about the way you played it.  Like I say, I cannot see bet sizes, but if your opponent made a decent size pre-flop raise then (in my personal opinion) there was nothing wrong with you chcking flop. [If you had been the pre-flop raiser, it would  (in my personal opinion) be a mistake not to lead out, but checking to the raiser is different.]

I think it looks too strong to lead out on turn.  If you still had "only" a set, and the board looked scary, then leading out makes sense because you probably want to look strong.   But once you have made Quads, there is obviously no need to protect your hand, and you dont want your opponent to think that you called with 8x and have now hit trips.   On the contrary, let him either think he is still ahead and bet for value, or give him a chance to represent trips 8s himself.

One thing to avoid, obviously, is always check calling with a strong hand (and only betting as a bluff or with a weak hand).  People will soon notice that and stop building pots for you.  But, imho, there is nothing wrong with doing it some of the time, as it keeps people on their toes for those times when you check hoping for a free card.

Comments

• edited November 2012

Hi guys, for my first post on this forum I'd like to genuinely ask about this ultra cooler hand.

Having check-called the flop and turn, is leading the river too strong? Can I expect him to continue to bet his likely King/Flush Draw/Possible Rivered Ace? Assuming he has a made hand and I lead out, is it right to go half pot, or could I have gone three quarters/full pot?

Because really I was lucky to get maximum value as he reraised all in with aces full. Total cooler of a hand!

Thanks people
    Reece

*edit* thanks for the IE tip on posting hand, Chrome was at fault
  • edited November 2012
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Robbo67 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £11.93
    CUFCrp90 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £13.62
     Your hole cards

mjw4lsh13 Fold     
    DeadlyDave Raise  £0.40 £0.55 £8.30
    bundy1 Fold     
    Lambert180 Fold     
    Robbo67 Fold     
    CUFCrp90 Call  £0.30 £0.85 £13.32
    Flop

• K

CUFCrp90 Check     
    DeadlyDave Bet  £0.64 £1.49 £7.66
    CUFCrp90 Call  £0.64 £2.13 £12.68
    Turn

CUFCrp90 Check     
    DeadlyDave Bet  £1.07 £3.20 £6.59
    CUFCrp90 Call  £1.07 £4.27 £11.61
    River

• A

CUFCrp90 Bet  £2.14 £6.41 £9.47
    DeadlyDave All-in  £6.59 £13.00 £0.00
    CUFCrp90 Raise  £8.90 £21.90 £0.57
    CUFCrp90 Unmatched bet  £4.45 £17.45 £5.02
    CUFCrp90 Show

DeadlyDave Show
    • A
    • A

CUFCrp90 Win Four 8s £16.14  £21.16
  • edited November 2012
    I think you've played it pretty well. Neither the flop or the turn are a good place to check-raise or donk lead since it looks too strong. The way the villian has played the hand it looks like he either has a king, or is barrelling with A high. By leading the river small you give the villian the oppertunity to level themself and call with Kx. And from the way the hand has run the villian could easily have AK.

Obviously, once that river card comes there's no getting away from the fact that both players are going all in no matter what happens. There's just no getting away from aces full
  • edited November 2012
    C/r flop readless