You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Chasing?!

This is the kind of hand where i got lost at what to do!!  Its the only example i can find quickly going through my hands, but i think u get an idea of what i mean.

I um and arr if i should chase the card, odds etc, but only got few seconds to think!!  and dont wanna end up looking like a suck out if i either hit the card on the river or if its a showdown and i look bad for playing poorly and chasing!

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
micawber Small blind  40.00 40.00 4617.50
PILLOWMAN Big blind  80.00 120.00 6610.00
  Your hole cards
  • J

mccoy06 Call  80.00 200.00 6702.50
Lugger Call  80.00 280.00 4115.00
tikay1 Fold     
micawber Fold     
PILLOWMAN Check     
Flop

• A

PILLOWMAN Check     
mccoy06 Check     
Lugger Check     
Turn

• K

PILLOWMAN Check     
mccoy06 Bet  280.00 560.00 6422.50
Lugger Fold     
PILLOWMAN Fold     
mccoy06 Muck     
mccoy06 Win  560.00  6982.50

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Yea standard fold, u cant be risking chips on chasing a gutshot.

Altho if the flop had come 9 8 x with j10, i get slightly carried away sometimes.

But others on here will explain better about the odds on calling to hit ur cards etc.
  • edited November 2009

lol it shud take u about 0.001 seconds to snap fold this!

chase up and down straits and a/k high flush draws when gettin the price. Not neccesserily the right price coz implied odds give u the chance to stack ur oppo and double thru early days in a tourny. Straight draws r better as they are less obvious and get paid off.

No decision with gutshot/runner runner decisions, get rid of em, unless u fancy a raise ;)

DOHH

• edited November 2009
      Easy fold.  With a pot size bet on the turn you were getting odds of 2 to 1. Your odds of hitting a gutshot are about 10 to 1.  Even if you throw in some implied odds you are not even close to getting the right odds to call. If you did call and hit you would need the pot to get up over 3000 before you could call it worthwhile and i doubt that would happen. That looks like a deepstack tourny.I have seen too many players in those bleed off a lot of chips chasing straights and flushes.

If you are going to chase those sort of hands you can do it 2 ways, either keep the pots small to give yourself the odds or be the aggressor and bet out with your draws which gives you 2 ways to win, hitting or betting the other player off.
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for replies guys, esp talon as i was what odds i had etc.

Although the one i showed is bad example, i had one where it was similar but an open ended straight draw so assume i had better chance there.  Whats the odds like on that??

Although one prob i can see with the open ended straight draw straight away is i could end up on bad end of straight in some instances.

Norbit, nice to see a fellow Gunner!!
  • edited November 2009
      For OESD you have twice as many outs as the gutshot so after the turn card you are about 5 to 1 to hit it. This means that only a bet of a quarter of the pot would give you the odds to chase it.

As long as you remember the rule of 4 and 2 you can easily work out pot odds.
    That is count your outs after the flop amd multiply by 4 to work out your percentage chance of winning, and multiply by 2 after the turn card.

The other things to think about if you are chasing down the streets. Watch out for flush draws if you are chasing a straight and a paired board opens up quads and full houses. Also try not to chase to the stupid end of the straight or a very low flush.

• edited November 2009
    How does the percentage of winning come into it? Christ i'm sounding like a right beginner/fish!! Lol 

I know the pot odds v odds of hitting card.  Although i need paper and pen and about half hr, wheras on line u got 15 seconds!!  But i suppose that comes with experience?

"The other things to think about if you are chasing down the streets. Watch out for flush draws if you are chasing a straight and a paired board opens up quads and full houses. Also try not to chase to the stupid end of the straight or a very low flush."

Thanks for that last bit.  Knew about it as read quite a few good books but always good to be reminded.  Love these forums!!
  • edited November 2009
    dont chase m8 u might  hit once think yes fantastic but u lose a lot of money in the long run