You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

whats happening???

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
Im playing like  such a donk lately and i dont even know why, im losing money on such stupid hands my game has completely collasped.  Iv made a few good hero calls in the last week and i dont no if that is why, maybe i think i can do that for everyhand.  But im losing buyins and never believeing my opponents when they bet.....just playing so bad and i dont even know why.  The last 3 months iv been in profit and even won a tournament on friday for £550 in total (was an £11 bounty hunter).  Iv also tried 2 tabling and i dont think thats helped, but some of the hands im losing on are ridiculous and i dont even know how to stop it.  Any suggestions? its really annoying me iv worked hard on my game and now it feels like its blown up :(

Comments

• edited November 2012
    It's probably variance, either you were winning more than you should have been the last couple of months, or you're losing more than you should be now, but either way, you can almost always win more/lose less by improving :)

Post some hands in the clinic and find out if you did play them badly or if you got unlucky or whatever.

Also I saw you posted a hand the other day from 100NL. 50NL is already quite high stakes but stepping up while things are going bad is never a good idea.
  • edited November 2012
    hi Robbie,
    agree with Lambert,probably variance.
    i had a great couple of months myself and now couldn't even win an 'egg 'n' spoon' race.
    when i'm running really bad i drop levels and play less hours which i would suggest you do.
    gl
    dev

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: whats happening???:
    It's probably variance, either you were winning more than you should have been the last couple of months, or you're losing more than you should be now, but either way, you can almost always win more/lose less by improving :)Post some hands in the clinic and find out if you did play them badly or if you got unlucky or whatever. Also I saw you posted a hand the other day from 100NL. 50NL is already quite high stakes but stepping up while things are going bad is never a good idea.
    Posted by Lambert180

Lots of this - Also post some hands that you won and get advice on if you have extracted enough value, a leak in my game that I always try to address along with losing hands. Always good to try and strike a balance

• edited November 2012
    Yeah i post quiete abit in the clinic.  Thtas the worrying thing though, i wouldnt even say iv had major ba beats and stuff, just thinkin im trying to win every hand because i feel iv worked harder then my opponents and can outplay them.  But now when i play im feeling very unconfident really, maybe i need to take some time out with videos and reading things, just abit dissapoitning really my game had improved alot and i was winning most session......i was at least playing well and felt incontrol but know its just a mess.  Yeah maybe i should stick at 50nl, i just won that tournamnet for £550 and i had a good week at 50 nl anyways, so i thought i deserved a crack but last 2 days have been abit of a disaster really :(
  • edited November 2012
    i take each month as a guide to how i'm playing/running Robbie.
    taking everything session by session is not  the best way imo.
    you are going to have bad days and losing sessions,everyone does.
    even week by week would be better than day by day.
    don't be to hard on yourself mate.
    if your b/roll is going up which i'm guessing it is,then you really don't have much to worry about.
    gl
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    Yeh prob varience or u could be just up vs better playersthen u was playing before or maybe they adjusted to ur play. 

but yeh take a little breakout if ur not on ur a game and recover. 

i must amit it sound like ur suffering from positve tilt. 
    gl 
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: whats happening???:
    Yeh prob varience or u could be just up vs better playersthen u was playing before or maybe they adjusted to ur play.  but yeh take a little breakout if ur not on ur a game and recover.  i must amit it sound like ur suffering from positve tilt.  gl 
    Posted by D_Legend
    Is this the same as "winners tilt"? - I went through a similiar period robbie where I over a period of 4 weeks i was winning/cashing in tourneys regularly, winning almost every cash session and started to feel invincible. Suffice to say i went on winners tilt and within 2 days I had lost a 3rd of my bankroll (ouch).

It took a good read of another players thread to understand this but when it sunk in i learnt a valuable lesson. Varience came back to bite me on the ar se good and proper lol 

You have the game so you will run good again mate :)

• edited November 2012
    yeah I agree with the above posters could be variance/winners tilt which makes you feel invincible and just expect to win etc but think every1 go throught this it will turn. for example last month I played 27 days min 3 hrs a day and only had 4 losing days(not a brag) lol and withdrew half of ma roll to get some xmas presents in.Now I`ve played 5 days in november and I`ve only had 1 day in profit not running as good and more important i`m not playing ma best so going to drop down a level for a week or so and keep looking over hand histories to fix my leaks.

hope this helps gl at the tables buddy.
  • edited November 2012
    Thankyou everyone some really good advice. Possiably it could be winners tilt ivread about it but the thing is its not lyk iv played for 3 weeks and think im phil ivey, iv worked hard for about 18months so i know about the varience and stuff, i like to think of poker as a long term investment in my skill being better then the other player so thats why i try to not care.  My worry this time is that i havnt been o better skill then the other players, posssiably been trying to hard, tyring to make myself win every hand, maybe in desperation.......but i think the sensible thing is to stay at 50nl and 1 table atm while im playing like this. 

Really good advice though people thanks