You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UKOPS - my mini review

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat

I was looking forward to this latest UKOPS series as, amongst other things, there were some quality 'mini' tournaments put on to run along side the bigger ones.

It was also the 1st time I had some sort of BR to attempt to sat into other tournaments, which I would not normally do.

I have to say that I was more than impressed with the amount of sats that Sky Poker did put on TBH, as some would make a loss but on the flip side, would always increase numbers playing the actual event.

I am not going to list every one I played but just tell you the tale of two in a few words.

High Roller (1st November- UKOPS 5)

I had tried to sat into this one from the very 1st sat on the Thursday and somehow managed to get all the way to the semi final on just £2 odd. Unfortunately, I fell at the final hurdle and I thought that was that as there was no way could I afford the £500+ buy in.

Hang on, what is this…….?

Oh, a 200 player all in sat winner takes all for just £2 something. Don’t mind if I do. BINK!!! I was in.

So 61 of the finest players on Sky (plus me) took to the felt. I held my own for a couple of hours or so but found myself the shortie, on about 5K, so was looking for that spot to ship it in. I had been on a table with offshoot and lol raise for hours and they were both playing well and potting them off the ceiling. Look down at AQss and knew that was my ticket to the double up and glory. Offshoot, playing about 25K+ and in the BB called my shove with QJos. I was happy with what I was up against and understood the call. He hit a J and I was gone in 21stL . He went on to take it down for £11.5K. MBN. GG.

Main Event  (4th November)

Another one way out of my BR (Buy in £220), so off down the sat route again. I also yet again fell at the final hurdle of the semi final when somehow my aces were cracked by 10 3 os. UUUURRRGGGH. One last attempt at a 25 runner £9 sat winner takes all. I won that so I was in!

Same sort of pattern for the 1st couple of hours where I again held my own without getting too many big pots but not losing to much of my stack. With half the field gone and me getting short, I had to find that ‘spot’ again. Picked up AQdd in the BB and after ljamesl had put a small raise in, I jammed my 5.9K over the line. He was playing a 25k+ stack and so made the call with 66. A K5J flop looked good but a runner runner heart brought the flush for him and I was out in 111th. James went on to finish 2nd for £7.5K and was unlucky not to win the whole thing.

I used to hate AK. I now hate AQ.

UKOPS overall

This morning I  looked at my account and was pleasantly surprised. Yes I did not cash big in the UKOPS series, but overall, did not make a massive dent to my BR.

The bonus was looking at my Cash for Points total – over 1K already and only the 5th of the month! I normally only attain 1 – 1 ½ K points ALL month, so this is a stepping stone for me to get my biggest C4P’s ever.

……….looking forward to the next series

Comments

• edited November 2012

Nice Post Alan.

Be great to see other "My UKOPS" Threads too.
  • edited November 2012
    good read that Alan well done bud
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: UKOPS - my mini review:
    Nice Post Alan. Be great to see other "My UKOPS" Threads too.
    Posted by Tikay10
    +1 

Quality post, Alan. It's nice mixing it in those high stakes tourneys isn't it. Did you find it affected your game in any way or were you just playing the £2 All-In Tourney Bink Vibe Rush? (TM)
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: UKOPS - my mini review:
    In Response to Re: UKOPS - my mini review : +1  Quality post, Alan. It's nice mixing it in those high stakes tourneys isn't it. Did you find it affected your game in any way or were you just playing the £2 All-In Tourney Bink Vibe Rush? (TM)
    Posted by Sky_Dave

I honestly just played my own game (hence that is why I didn't cash!). The only difference was trying to work out if players had a hand or not, as the deeper the tournaments went the 'aggro' button was turned up higher. I noticed it slowed down later on.....but I was long gone by then!
  • edited November 2012
    Nice blog Alan!

I would do a "my UKOPS" also, but i only played a few events and bricked every one.

I am hoping for another UKOPS soon, and i pray for the introduction of side events for PLO and Hilo. I understand why they were not included last time, but surely a small guarentee would be met... 

• edited November 2012
    i can attest to Maxally's 10 3 incident in the ME satellite. Shouldn't laugh but i particularly liked Max's Dads Army moment afterward when in the chat box he announced he was taking names
    "You too shall go in the book, what is your name?"
    "Don't tell him Pike"
    "Pike"
    Classic!
  • edited November 2012
    Excellent read Alan
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to UKOPS - my mini review:
    [

Good thread Max I must admit not being to keen on the UKOPS especialy at the cost of the BH tournys, to rich to buy in and I spent far more than I would normally trying to satellite!, but I  suppose just one cash would have made the difference. You have to speculate to accumulate be interesting to see if sky made money on this.

Ok for the more serious player but not so for the casual ones but well done sky for trying something different