You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

When to run away?

edited November 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
robbie1992 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £73.72
rurarix Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £48.62
 Your hole cards
  • J

TurboSmurf Fold     
hhamza162 Fold     
LnarinOO Fold     
Raise  £1.50 £2.25 £31.18
robbie1992 Call  £1.25 £3.50 £72.47
rurarix Fold     
Flop

robbie1992 Check     
 Bet  £1.75 £5.25 £29.43
robbie1992 Call  £1.75 £7.00 £70.72
Turn

• Q

robbie1992 Check     
 Bet  £3.50 £10.50 £25.93
robbie1992 Call  £3.50 £14.00 £67.22
River

• Q

robbie1992 Check     
 Bet  £10.50 £24.50 £15.43
robbie1992 Call  £10.50 £35.00 £56.72
 Show
  • J
  • K

robbie1992 Show
  • J

robbie1992 Win Two Pairs, Queens and 10s £33.25  £89.97
My plan here was to rep a flush draw, as i felt my opponent is aggresive and i had suspicions of tilt.  My question is, is this good play or is this a case of trying to win to many hands? Also the reping of the flush draw from the flop onawrds was my plan, from the flop, but when i got to the river i was abit worried, this guy had triple barrelled but it was my plan and it seemed stupid to give up, because he was giving the value i wanted.....should you ever change your mind on your plan after seeing certain supriseing actions from the opponent (such a triple barreling)

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I dont buy your argument that you were repping a flush draw...... why represent the draw if youve already got a hand to get value from? Also you say you were representing the flush draw but I don't get what you did differently as a result of it. Opponent isn't scared of you unless the diamond comes, or you do something agressive - ie raise.

You're SB and flop top pair on a slightly wet board. Check raise the flop or turn with the intention of giving up when he goes over the top.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: When to run away?:
    I dont buy your argument that you were repping a flush draw...... why represent the draw if youve already got a hand to get value from? Also you say you were representing the flush draw but I don't get what you did differently as a result of it. Opponent isn't scared of you unless the diamond comes, or you do something agressive - ie raise. You're SB and flop top pair on a slightly wet board. Check raise the flop or turn with the intention of giving up when he goes over the top.
    Posted by CUFCrp90
    I felt that the cards wasnt in the range of my opponent, so check calling all streets makes it look like i hvnt got a made hand ....especially on that board.  So if i bet or raise my opponent gives up, so i check call so he feels that a bluff would possiably fold my hand (which would be nothing) ....dojt like the play ?
  • edited November 2012
    Don't mind it with reads on villain. Pre questionable imo
  • edited November 2012
    I felt that the cards wasnt in the range of my opponent, - what do you think your opponents range is exactly? so check calling all streets makes it look like i hvnt got a made hand - you'd do this with top pair, a set, a flush draw, an overpair, you're repping any of these but none in particular ....especially on that board.  So if i bet or raise my opponent gives up, - how do you know this? losing value on your hand unless you specifically find out by betting so i check call so he feels that a bluff would possiably fold my hand (which would be nothing) ....dojt like the play ?

Dont mind the play honestly, just get annoyed when people say they're repping when theyre not necessarily :)

TBH maximised the difficulty of the hand for yourself by playing a middling hand like JT out of position. Sometimes you'll win here sometimes you won't.

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: When to run away?:
    I felt that the cards wasnt in the range of my opponent, - what do you think your opponents range is exactly? so check calling all streets makes it look like i hvnt got a made hand - you'd do this with top pair, a set, a flush draw, an overpair, you're repping any of these but none in particular ....especially on that board.  So if i bet or raise my opponent gives up, - how do you know this? losing value on your hand unless you specifically find out by betting so i check call so he feels that a bluff would possiably fold my hand (which would be nothing) ....dojt like the play ? Dont mind the play honestly, just get annoyed when people say they're repping when theyre not necessarily :) TBH maximised the difficulty of the hand for yourself by playing a middling hand like JT out of position. Sometimes you'll win here sometimes you won't.
    Posted by CUFCrp90
    i felt like broadway cards, i just felt my opponent hadnt hit, he was very active and i just iddnt believe him i wanted to trust my reads.....but its true somtyms ill be completely out and he'll show a pair of tens.   Yes but by check calling quickly i felt i looked alot like a flush draw, if i had the other hands you mention (overpair, top pair etc) then i wouldnt slowplay on a flush draw board i would be raising, Idont no about the out of position comment sited connecters like this s in my range in that position.......but the move im trying to do is questionable out of position tbh .  Just wanted peoples views as i dont do this move alot and wantd to see the positive and negetive things about it
  • edited November 2012
    c/c is the only thing you can/should be doing. You played the hand fine IMO although for all the wrong reasons. 
  • edited November 2012
    With the reads you have on the villian then check-call 3-streets for value is the best play. If you were to raise at any point then he either folds all the bluffs that you beat or comes back at you with a hand that you can't beat.

The fact that there is a wet flop might make it appear that you have a flush draw but I doubt the villian thought of this. They probably saw the queen as a good card to barrell ott. Then made a much bigger bet otr in the hope that you would think he hit the queen. His thinking is flawed though because I don't think he would play big value hands like this because he wants to get called by a stubbon ten on the river. If he was betting for value on the river you might expect him to bet 50% like he has done on the flop and turn.

Well played but be carfull trying this type of stuff too often. And I don't like calling with suited connectors out of the blinds going to the flop heads up. There's not enough implied odds and most times you just end up check-folding. Three-bet or fold (more often fold) is the better play.
  • edited November 2012
    I generally run away whenever they are the same size or bigger than me.

if they look lithe and a fast runner then I just curl up into a ball and try to protect my pretty little face.