You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Feeling disorientated after time away.....its a long post but ur help is needed

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
Hi guys,

I've been playing for just over a year and have enjoyed the learning process up until now. However, i feell ike i've hit a bit of a brick wall recently. I can't say i'm losing a lot as i'm breaking even but i've concentrated on MTT's and play some DYM's with no cash at all. I've done this to get a better handle on playing post flop in MTT's with the aim of increasing the % of FT's i get. Before you look, my sharkscope shows i'm slightly losing though take away the free entries i've won from Sky for the Roller and £33 BH's ad i'm winning slightly. DYM's are showing 5% win rate. TBH its not the win/loss that's a bother to me. It's the lack of knowledge i seem to have of whether i should be calling an AI w/ 88 for instance in a deep stack T etc.

I really want to improve at the game and i'm willing to put the effort in but some guidance is needed now as i've still got the 'proverbial water-wings' on!!!

My game in the early days was more basic and ABC. I'm trying to put a greater degree of play into my game as i felt that i was losing value in a lot of pots and that it was stopping me accumulating chips in the middle to late stages of T's. I went away on holiday for two weeks and on returning felt like i was treading water TBH. I've made a few FT's since returning probably more luck than judgement when the fields are 200+ and low stakes but how can i create different strategies for low stakes, BH's V deepstacks , v thinking players and stick to them. I find myself getting frustrated and though i have a number of books on the subject and do makes notes and plans, the results don't reflect the effort being made.

If this has happene when you first began or have a suggestion or opinion on this, i'd be appreciative. Maybe the fact that i play single tables, take the correct % chance then when i've lost i'm staring at a blank screen after 2 1/2 hrs work. These 54: 48 equity plays are cruel. Even 60:40 is a killer.

Do i return to ABC or do i try to evolve but expect more 'blank screens' as it were. maybe play three T's at a time to try to "offset the variance" as i see constatly. I have £300 in my account. Or play only £5.50 MTT's  or £11 T's so mad plays are less likely. Is there a really good training site for 6 max preferably that i could trial. I'm currently reading "Winning T's 1HAAT" but feel like it's confusing me as the players are constantly considering each others bets and prev play. I wonder that i'm not confusing myself and overthinking it. Should i try to learn more game types, even cash, as i'm getting so frustrated recently. Does anyone else ever get like this?

Please help as i thought i'd come back from hols being buzzed about playing again. Instead, i felt ike i couldn't even remember how to go about phases in the game. Is there a good boo
k out there(i doubt if i've not seen it as my shelves heave!!). How do i get out of this rut................

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I'ld advise you to start running well again and you'll think you're playing like a genius again !

But seriously, I'ld definitely be wanting to multi-table if I was in your shoes. Multitabling should in theory reduce your variance and accelerate your learning.

I'ld suggest firing up several lower stakes tourneys or maybe play some SNG's or DYM's alongside your main tourney.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Feeling disorientated after time away.....its a long post but ur help is needed:
    Hi guys, I've been playing for just over a year and have enjoyed the learning process up until now . However, i feell ike i've hit a bit of a brick wall recently. I can't say i'm losing a lot as i'm breaking even but i've concentrated on MTT's and play some DYM's with no cash at all. I've done this to get a better handle on playing post flop in MTT's with the aim of increasing the % of FT's i get. Before you look, my sharkscope shows i'm slightly losing though take away the free entries i've won from Sky for the Roller and £33 BH's ad i'm winning slightly. DYM's are showing 5% win rate. TBH its not the win/loss that's a bother to me. It's the lack of knowledge i seem to have of whether i should be calling an AI w/ 88 for instance in a deep stack T etc. I really want to improve at the game and i'm willing to put the effort in but some guidance is needed now as i've still got the 'proverbial water-wings' on!!! My game in the early days was more basic and ABC. I'm trying to put a greater degree of play into my game as i felt that i was losing value in a lot of pots and that it was stopping me accumulating chips in the middle to late stages of T's. I went away on holiday for two weeks and on returning felt like i was treading water TBH. I've made a few FT's since returning probably more luck than judgement when the fields are 200+ and low stakes but how can i create different strategies for low stakes, BH's V deepstacks , v thinking players and stick to them. I find myself getting frustrated and though i have a number of books on the subject and do makes notes and plans, the results don't reflect the effort being made. If this has happene when you first began or have a suggestion or opinion on this, i'd be appreciative. Maybe the fact that i play single tables, take the correct % chance then when i've lost i'm staring at a blank screen after 2 1/2 hrs work. These 54: 48 equity plays are cruel. Even 60:40 is a killer. Do i return to ABC or do i try to evolve but expect more 'blank screens' as it were. maybe play three T's at a time to try to "offset the variance" as i see constatly. I have £300 in my account. Or play only £5.50 MTT's  or £11 T's so mad plays are less likely. Is there a really good training site for 6 max preferably that i could trial. I'm currently reading "Winning T's 1HAAT" but feel like it's confusing me as the players are constantly considering each others bets and prev play. I wonder that i'm not confusing myself and overthinking it. Should i try to learn more game types, even cash, as i'm getting so frustrated recently. Does anyone else ever get like this? Please help as i thought i'd come back from hols being buzzed about playing again. Instead, i felt ike i couldn't even remember how to go about phases in the game. Is there a good boo k out there(i doubt if i've not seen it as my shelves heave!!). How do i get out of this rut................
    Posted by profman15
    Also reading that (volume 2) - from bubble to FT play. I got the wrong one by accident. Should have read volume 1 first, but the way they think is the way you have to think and playing 1 table at at a time you should be able to do this
    I,ve started playing a lot more live now than online and feel i,m learning more playing live even if its just in pubs and snooker clubs. Its a good laugh and you get to know other players and talk a lot of poker . Its a massive help

I,m sure you,ll get some more answers and tips from a lot better players on here than me, but just take them all on board and try and identify where your going wrong which you seem to be doing anyway

GL 
  • edited November 2012
    you can only REDUCE variance if you increase your winrate.

increasing tables just to increase volume, could just speed up your LOSS RATE.

work on your game, then work some more, then think HAVE I WORKED ENOUGH etc

Get a coach? do some session reviews? make a video of your play? critique it with friends etc.
  • edited November 2012
    Hi Prof - A very well written piece and is kind of wher I am in my poker journey. Dont have any advice tbh but will be watching this thread with much interest.

Graeme 
  • edited November 2012
    Unles you can play at your optimum level while multitabling I would say don't do it. Deepstacks are a game of patience and in my view the patient player is the more likely winning player. I have seen loads of players build a big stack in the first hour but are nowhere to be seen when the bubble bursts. I know we shared a few tables now and again and you seemed a very capable player. I can't see a 2 week break affecting your game that much, I think it's just variance having the effect. Greg Hogg made a great post the other week and it is something I have tried to apply to my own game and it was this;
    "The one single thing which has most improved my game is..."
     I Learnt to bet for a reason
    i.e either for value or as a bluff
    Also, and more generally, I have learnt to always think about every decision before making it. Why am i calling/checking/raising/betting? Why am i betting 1/2 pot or 3/4 pot. etc... ?"

Just to add I took a break of at least a week after a nightmare run and stuck  to ABC poker and that worked for me. Can't recommend a book cos I haven't read any.
  • edited November 2012
    If your breakeven then that's a good thing

Just need to turn the corner and start making profit

Learn more........don't give up

Even winning players will run break even for periods or even at a loss

You can always improve...never think you can't

+MTT's are like the most frustrting format to win money !!

good luck
  • edited November 2012
    Many thanks guys firstly for reading the post and secondly for making good suggestions for me to consider.
    I did decide to play tonight in the mini and took a piece of advice from above by playing dym's alongside it. I was patient but can't say my play was particularly confident. I don't bluff well at all and my post flop is clumsy to say the least.
    I can say that tonight variance was levelled out by my KK being met by AA in a dym first hand! However this was outgunned by sucking out AI with AQs V AA and then again sucking out with TT V JJ V AQ in the mini. Unfortunately, i went a little card dead and had a bigger aggro stack on my lhs (another type of play i need to educate myself in).

Dare i say it guys, i did try to cash(paid 40) but only one possible hand was ditched on bubble 99, to my shame. Pleased that i came 31 out of 341 and the dym's certainly helped.
    If any people have other suggestions then i'm listening! Cheers!
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Feeling disorientated after time away.....its a long post but ur help is needed:
    you can only REDUCE variance if you increase your winrate. increasing tables just to increase volume, could just speed up your LOSS RATE. work on your game, then work some more, then think HAVE I WORKED ENOUGH etc Get a coach? do some session reviews? make a video of your play? critique it with friends etc.
    Posted by beaneh
    do u coach? if so, sky, remove comment pls. indirect promotion of his own service
  • edited November 2012
    Hey Prof

You'll hit these walls from time to time in poker.  I whole heartedly agree with Beaneh, especially when it comes to work, work and work some more on your game.  Getting other opinions is vital so keep using the clinic if you don't want to branch out yet in the way Beaneh has suggested.

To get through it sometimes I totally reconstruct my game.  I go back to a complete ABC style and relearn what I have learnt.  Now you may think this will take ages, but it's like unscrewing and re-screwing a screwpin in the wall.  It gets quicker and straighter every time.

And most importantly, enjoy the game.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Feeling disorientated after time away.....its a long post but ur help is needed:
    Hey Prof You'll hit these walls from time to time in poker.  I whole heartedly agree with Beaneh, especially when it comes to work, work and work some more on your game.  Getting other opinions is vital so keep using the clinic if you don't want to branch out yet in the way Beaneh has suggested. To get through it sometimes I totally reconstruct my game.  I go back to a complete ABC style and relearn what I have learnt.  Now you may think this will take ages, but it's like unscrewing and re-screwing a screwpin in the wall.  It gets quicker and straighter every time. And most importantly, enjoy the game.
    Posted by TommyD
    Hi Tommy

It's true that i feel like i have to go over the ABC again which involves sorting a stack of notes into sections and/ or deciding which book to tip my hat at this time to make me feel revitalised and in sync.
    For heaven's sake i used to teach maths and tell my 6th formers about about having a framework for solving applied maths problems, i should be able to come to terms with needing to revise basics. Now i know how they felt.
    I just felt a bit adrift at times in pots and my 'fancy Dan' plays which went pear shaped were given justifiable short shrift in the clinic. I think the same type of play went wrong three days running and each day i at the time, i thought i was carrying out the correct plan even after seeing the clinic comments.
    It's funny but late last night i was reading over 'basic' theory in order to get the correct mindset and approach to poker pots. Strangely, it did help and it's nice to know that you've felt the need to deconstruct your game at times too. My game is at a different level to yours obviously but i do put time into improving it. It's what to do now? Especially when i see it going into reverse a bit.
    This thread, i feel, will help a lot of players who have got stuck or have reached a certain point and don't know what to do next. Cheers to you, the other interested people who have offered help and any other suggestions people may put on here.
  • edited November 2012
    Hi prof
    Played u a few times and you seems a capable player.

My own progression in this game got a massive lift when after 18 months of fliting around, i got told im a better player than i thought i was; this came about after joining a team.
    After being told this i thought to myself in April i will choose 1 format and try some brm, i decided i will play just 11 quid or less mtts and just play my game a not worry about others, i also have a slight form of Dyscalculia which kind of helps in bh lol. Dyscalculia is a misunderstanding of numbers, i cant overcome this but using a 4 clour deck helps, don't why, but still get donked as have to think for a couple of secs more and players think im bluffing. Overcome this by noting. I multitable; play my game and dont care where i finish as long as i'm playing my game. Its def working as had ft in UKOPS and have manged to treat the missus lol.

So i would say join a team and get dyscalculia ;')
  • edited November 2012
    hi Steve,
    my path reached a 'dead end' if u like,and i didn't know what to do 4 the best.
    cash was a nightmare,managed to break-even and made a small profit from c4p.
    tournaments never appealed to me as the wins are so 'far and few ' between.
    so ended up playing DYM's which i know are not everyones' 'cup of tea' but i do ok from them.
    i think you should think about a number of factors...
    what is your most enjoyable form of poker.
    what are your short-term/long-term goals.
    how serious do you want your poker to be.
    is it a hobby,where you can hopefully make a few bob,or are you looking for bigger things.
    how many hours are you/can you play each week/month.
    how many tables can i /should i play.
    all the answers to these questions should help you towards finding out where you go next.

good luck and best wishes,
    :)
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    Hi profman, I only play for fun and small stakes but I am trying to improve all the time. Some days I can bluff and play hands and it all comes off then the next day nothing works as though the players can see my cards !! Frustrating as hell. Ive just downloaded a book on my Kindle by Jared Tendler called the "The Mental Game of Poker" and have read about 4 chapters so far and is well worth a read. In fact Ive just won my first large MTT the other day, but cannot put it down to the book as yet !!! Good luck.
  • edited November 2012
    Hi J30no, Devonfish and JPW

Agree with you about the Tendhler book...have it....excellent
    J3ono, i used to be a maths teacher so pretending i had dyscalcula(i thought it was called dysbraxia actually) might not go down to well but nice suggestion. Unfortunately i tend to record stuff too.
    D, i'm rather taken with your questionnaire and maybe i'll find the correct route...cheers!