You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Micro sats are too fast don`t you think?

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
I`m sure the micro sats for the semi`s used to have 5min blinds now its only 3mins and its just pure bingo imo can we revert back to the old structure please.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Micro sats are too fast don`t you think?:
    I`m sure the micro sats for the semi`s used to have 5min blinds now its only 3mins and its just pure bingo imo can we revert back to the old structure please.
    Posted by liamboi11
    +1
  • edited November 2012
    they have been for a long while now and totaly agree way to fast.
  • edited November 2012
    I think they're fine the way they are, to be honest. They're usually over in around half an hour and that seems right when you're playing for a relative pittance into a bigger satellite.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Micro sats are too fast don`t you think?:
    I think they're fine the way they are, to be honest. They're usually over in around half an hour and that seems right when you're playing for a relative pittance into a bigger satellite.
    Posted by BorinLoner

+1
  • edited November 2012
    Agree. I stopped playing them months ago for this very reason and expained why in my £51/£1051 diary which was running at the time. The speed nullifies the skill element, if you do the maths entering these isn't really worth it, direct buy-ins are better value. 

However, there is another side of this particular coin, lot of donks who wouldn't buy-in direct get lucky and win seats in the sats, so the field of the target tournament is softer than it might otherwise be.
  • edited November 2012

I am in favour of fast sats, i much prefer 3 mins, i don't think it's bingo at all, there is still skill involved.

I see a polarisation of opinion here. Let's meet half way and have 4 min blinds? :)

• edited November 2012
    I think they are good how they are, the quicker they run, the more volume of sats sky can run which in turn increases the tournaments prize pool. also it improves your short stack game which is very important
  • edited November 2012
    I think they are good how they are, the quicker they run, the more volume of sats sky can run which in turn increases the tournaments prize pool. also it improves your short stack game which is very important
    Posted by jordz16
    +1

Dyms also do this in the latter stages. I would say that generally that DYM players should favour fast sats too, cos its all about looking for spots/surviving
  • edited November 2012
    I understand what yous are saying I know i said bingo in my opening post but I really meant less skill involved i played 4 today and bust in them all around the 150/300 or 200/400 either 60/40, flippin twice and 80/20 and lost them all lol.

think when I was playin the 5min blinds I would always qualify high percentage of the time maybe just need to adjust my game a little in these.

but yeah good hearing from both sides of in favour of and whose are not.
  • edited November 2012
    The one thing I would observe is that you almost never see any hands posted in the poker clinic from satellites.
    I don't think enough people are aware of the different strategies involved. You see the same names coming through the satellites an extraordinary proportion of the time. That would seem to indicate that they're far from being mere crapshoots.
  • edited November 2012
    The one thing I would observe is that you almost never see any hands posted in the poker clinic from satellites. I don't think enough people are aware of the different strategies involved. You see the same names coming through the satellites an extraordinary proportion of the time. That would seem to indicate that they're far from being mere crapshoots.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    yeah the same players most time make it throught the semi sats into the main which is a different structure from the micro sats I personally dont see many big names playin the smaller sats which is the ones i`m on about.Never mentioned anything about the semi`s.
  • edited November 2012
    I didn't mention the semis either. Nor did I mention big names.

I have played the smaller sats a few times and they're definitely not purely down to luck. There is a marked distinction between those playing a decent satellite strategy and those who are not. The players who "get it" get through far more often than those that don't. It's perfectly possible to have a bad run in them, of course. In the long-term, these smaller sats are definitely profitable.

Just don't call. lol
  • edited November 2012
    I didn't mention the semis either. Nor did I mention big names. I have played the smaller sats a few times and they're definitely not purely down to luck. There is a marked distinction between those playing a decent satellite strategy and those who are not. The players who "get it" get through far more often than those that don't. It's perfectly possible to have a bad run in them, of course. In the long-term, these smaller sats are definitely profitable. Just don't call. lol
    Posted by BorinLoner
    lol I feel I have got a good understanding of how to play satellites but all I was saying its a bit too fast for my liking just wanted to see what others felt about it and there is a mix opinion.I will continue to play them because for a small investment you can get a big return if successful gettin through.Also don`t think they are all down to luck but when every1 is down to 5-10bbs you do need a bit lol..
  • edited November 2012
    Well I like them :p

Couldn't not brag that I played my first £5.20 tonight and got 1st place for the only seat into the Semi lol.

But seriously, I know what you mean Liam, there is definitely an edge in them, but obviously in all formats, the faster the structure, the higher variance it is going to be.

One thing I have noticed, you're right the £5s used to be 5min blinds and now have 3, but more importantly (imo), I'm sure the Semi used to be 10 min blinds, and is now 5 min blinds.