You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Nash equilibrium solutions

Hi guys

Do players generally use the nash equilibrium solutions for SB on BB in mtt's late on or are they mainly for one table SNG's? Is there any situations not to use them or types of T's?

Comments

• edited November 2012
    my brain hurts
  • edited November 2012
    I have never heard of nash equilibrium solutions
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Nash equilibrium solutions:
    I have never heard of nash equilibrium solutions
    Posted by neely0y0
     Ha so YOu don't use them tnen, i take it?
  • edited November 2012
    i play on feel m8 and on how the table is playing if the guy left of me is passive i be raising hes bb 90 per cent of the time
  • edited November 2012
    Hi IDCU

Actually its not a matter of raising....its going all in with a particular range of hands when yiou are sb v bb
  • edited November 2012
    orite but surely stacks are rellevant and the blinds i understand what u mean any ace or king if i have 12 bigs or less im shoving all day long against a bb
  • edited November 2012

Nash's equilibrium charts are only really useful in HU short stack situations where they indicate unexploitable shoving / calling ranges.  It's very important that you understand the difference between unexploitable and optimal and adjust accordingly to your opponent.

In answer to your question I would say that yes, in an MTT blind on blind situation when short stacked it is applicable.

• edited November 2012
    I prefer the flux capacitor method.
  • edited November 2012
    Nash's equilibrium charts are only really useful in HU short stack situations where they indicate unexploitable shoving / calling ranges.  It's very important that you understand the difference between unexploitable and optimal and adjust accordingly to your opponent. In answer to your question I would say that yes, in an MTT blind on blind situation when short stacked it is applicable.
    Posted by Slykllist
     Hi sly

I've seen a couple of articles and although its stated for 20+ BB's most players do it for 13 or below. Funny you should say that its ok for mtt's as i hardly ever see it done and by that stage you could probably do with the double up. It has more chance of being unexploitable with poorer cards as eg with AA its hardly going to be optimal is it as chance of calling will be smaller than you'd wish if all-in. Cheers.
  • edited November 2012
    I keep a copy of the charts on my desktop. I used to refer to them quite often, but after a while you get a natural feel for the ranges and rarely need to pull them up.

The charts are good for shoving ranges when you find yourself in a HU pot and one of the stacks is very short, say 12BB or less. Personally I wouldn't recommend using the calling chart against the majority of opponents as it's very loose, only use it if the villain is at least as aggresive as the pushing chart. Nash charts can be useful in turbo or hyper HU STTs if the blinds get so big that there are 25BB or less in play.

The charts aren't optimal in all situations. ICM means you should tighten up and ignore the chart in many spots, eg the bubble of a DYM or satellite. At a final table of an MTT with big pay jumps lets say you have 15BB on the SB, the BB also has 15BB, the two other players at the table have only 2BB each and have both folded. The chart suggests you should shove Q4s, obviously that would be ridiculous and you should wait for the shorties to bust before getting it in so light.

Also there should be other weapons in your arsenal, for example with 15BB and a premium pair I'd suggest raise/calling is far more profitable than open shoving.
  • edited November 2012
    Do Crosby, Stills & Young know about this??
  • edited November 2012
    I keep a copy of the charts on my desktop. I used to refer to them quite often, but after a while you get a natural feel for the ranges and rarely need to pull them up. The charts are good for shoving ranges when you find yourself in a HU pot and one of the stacks is very short, say 12BB or less. Personally I wouldn't recommend using the calling chart against the majority of opponents as it's very loose, only use it if the villain is at least as aggresive as the pushing chart. Nash charts can be useful in turbo or hyper HU STTs if the blinds get so big that there are 25BB or less in play. The charts aren't optimal in all situations. ICM means you should tighten up and ignore the chart in many spots, eg the bubble of a DYM or satellite. At a final table of an MTT with big pay jumps lets say you have 15BB on the SB, the BB also has 15BB, the two other players at the table have only 2BB each and have both folded. The chart suggests you should shove Q4s, obviously that would be ridiculous and you should wait for the shorties to bust before getting it in so light. Also there should be other weapons in your arsenal, for example with 15BB and a premium pair I'd suggest raise/calling is far more profitable than open shoving.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
     Hi G

I agree with most of what you say. DYM's are a different beast as, to some extent are bh's as the bounty can be associated with a number of chips too. A different push/fold sheet would be needed as i have for dym's but i look at the stack sizes involved too plus player tendancies.  In dym's as you say icm considerations are involved which may in some cases stop you shoving AA....believe it ornot...but don't tell Carlo!!! Mind he'd just say its a never ending game.....
  • edited November 2012
    Do Crosby, Stills & Young know about this??
    Posted by Glenelg

Nice one....I did chuckle :)