You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HU SNG grinding

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
Over the past couple of months i have started to play a decent amount of turbo heads up sngs and was interested in finding out how many buy ins people like to have for the stakes and games they play,i'm currently playing 5.25 and had been pretty much withdrawing all my profit over 10bis which although worked ok i knew would leave me crippled when i had a downswing. so i'm now in the process of building a decent broll and was interested in your thoughts on the subject

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I'd leave 20BI for HU SnG's.

If you can, and are willing to, reload if you go 'bust' carry on as you are!
  • edited November 2012
    It depends if you're playing Regs, Turbos or Hypers to be honest.

If you're playing Hypers, with the terrible rake it's quite easy to go 10BIs down without a single mistake.

Turbos are much lower variance, and they're easily slow enough to be able to have a massive edge over weak players.

I'm currently playing £5.25 Hypers with just over 30-40BIs and I think that really is the minimum you want for Hypers.

EDIT: Just saw your alias in the OP, I've played you recently at Hypers and you seem pretty decent. Just remember when things get to 20/40 and 25/50, you should be open shoving the button SO wide.
  • edited November 2012
    ok yeah i remember our game i got fed up thinking you were raising light and shoved q10 i think, i havn't played many hypers have just tried them a few times to try out the different structure standard or players but i play predominantly turbos and seem to be doing well, out of interest how comes you play hypers? any particular reason? and any specific advice on how best to work on HU game
  • edited November 2012
    I play them for the few reasons.

1) I like the fast action.
    2) I think there is plenty of edge in them because the average player at them is awful. You only have to play a few before you see people limp/folding or worse still raise/folding pre when they have 5-6xBB.
    3) I know I sacrafice some ROI by playing the higher variance Hypers BUT, I can play 3 Hypers in the time it takes to play 1 Turbo, so a 3% ROI is better long term than say 7% at turbos.
    4) Because you play 3x as many, you can earn ALOT of poker points. I generally 2 table them, and think you can fit in about 15-20 games per hour easy, so 2tabling is 30-40 games per hour, so @ 3 points per game (£5.25s) you can be earning 120 poker points per hour.

If you want more details you can PM me, but one thing that'll really improve your game especially in Turbos and Hypers, and is very easy to pick up because it's mostly very formulaic is to learn how to play a shortstack. Very often, you're gonna have less than 20xBB, and there are things you can do that are virtually unexploitable. You'll learn by playing the opponents who does what, but most people raise and fold to shoves too often. For instance, in a hyper @ blinds of 20/40 or 25/50, you'll often be in situations where it's like 10xBB V 12xBB and vice versa... most people have no idea how wide they should be calling, so are probably calling with maybe 15-20% of hands, so you can shove on them very wide. Every time they fold, which is alot, they lose 10% of their stack, more often than not before long it comes more like 15xBB V 7xBB.

I haven't explained this very well, but I'm really tired, Google 'Nash Equilibrium' which shows shoving/calling ranges. It can't be followed against all players, mostly the calling bit, because people don't shove as wide as they should, so you can't call as wide as it says you should. But yeah I'm tired and explaining this badly, so if you PM me any questions and I'll reply. I'm off to bed.

Paul
  • edited November 2012
    thanks for taking the time to reply lambert, i have briefly encountered the nash table when reading various articles but didnt know if it would prove to be useful at the stakes i play, will take a look over it at some point. GL on the tables