You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM ROI

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
What do you think is a good ROI on DYMs?

Although I said at the start of the month I was going to switch to MTTs, I've found them such a long slog now with the late reg and more winter players, so I've given DYMs another go. I used to suck at these really bad, and couldn't get the MTT mentality I had out of my head and would try and chip-up when I didn't need to which got me in trouble.
I've learnt the art of it now I feel and know when to chip-up and when to just let everyone else get on with it. I have played 54 DYMs so far this month and won 35 which I'm very happy about. I'd be the first to admit I'm "running well" as such but only because my hands are holding. I'm not having to get lucky to double up so I feel I'm in total control.

Obviously when variance kicks in and my 70/30's and 60/40's stop holding then my win rate won't be so high. My ROI for this month is 17.8% but what do you think is a reasonable % to aim for over time? 10%? I don't just want a "if your winning more than your losing you doing alright" type of answer, because I want to get back to having poker as a 2nd income. Just wondering what is an OK ROI, a good 1 and a very good/above expectation % to see where I am.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    In Response to DYM ROI:
    What do you think is a good ROI on DYMs? Although I said at the start of the month I was going to switch to MTTs, I've found them such a long slog now with the late reg and more winter players, so I've given DYMs another go. I used to suck at these really bad, and couldn't get the MTT mentality I had out of my head and would try and chip-up when I didn't need to which got me in trouble. I've learnt the art of it now I feel and know when to chip-up and when to just let everyone else get on with it. I have played 54 DYMs so far this month and won 35 which I'm very happy about. I'd be the first to admit I'm "running well" as such but only because my hands are holding. I'm not having to get lucky to double up so I feel I'm in total control. Obviously when variance kicks in and my 70/30's and 60/40's stop holding then my win rate won't be so high. My ROI for this month is 17.8% but what do you think is a reasonable % to aim for over time? 10%? I don't just want a "if your winning more than your losing you doing alright" type of answer, because I want to get back to having poker as a 2nd income. Just wondering what is an OK ROI, a good 1 and a very good/above expectation % to see where I am.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    My whole blog is basically based around DYM, winrates etc. So if you have the chance, check it out.

I'd just like to say, (unfortunately for me) you're actually a fairly competent new DYM reg. But anywhere here goes:

There are so many variables, it all depends on, stake, how many tables you're playing, mood, how often you play your A game (and for how long) etc etc.

Sample size is everything though (500> is fairly meaningless for accuracy). 1k games should give you an idea of between 2-3% of what your winrate is (not taking into account that you'll probably improve over time). 

Tl;dr

For £5.50-£16.50 stakes

Good DYM players 2-4%
    Fairly above average DYM players 5-6.5%
    Killing it - above 7%

Hope this helped.

patwalshh

• edited November 2012
    Cheers Pat. 

I did have a quick look at your diary after I wrote this actually. I don't really read diaries, but I noticed we played together a lot recently so thought I'd have a sneaky peak ;-). Well done on last month BTW. If 7% is killing it then what does your 16% mean? Godlike? lol

I'm starting off steady and see how it goes, just 4 tabling £11. Seem to play about 12 - 14 a night. I think any higher stakes and you get quite a few regs. I'm not saying I can't beat them, but £11 seems very beatable to me so might as well stick there for now.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: DYM ROI:
    Cheers Pat.  I did have a quick look at your diary after I wrote this actually. I don't really read diaries, but I noticed we played together a lot recently so thought I'd have a sneaky peak ;-). Well done on last month BTW. If 7% is killing it then what does your 16% mean? Godlike? lol I'm starting off steady and see how it goes, just 4 tabling £11. Seem to play about 12 - 14 a night. I think any higher stakes and you get quite a few regs. I'm not saying I can't beat them, but £11 seems very beatable to me so might as well stick there for now.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Early stuff would probably be fairly useful; after that it's all philosophical bs.

Last month was insane - But as I said it isn't sustainable (just look at my results for this month).

Great work on the £11 DYMs so far. I find that the games get noticably harder at £22 buy-ins+. I game select at that level and above, but I mainly just like to stick to variance free grinding. 

• edited November 2012
    I'd say about 10% is about the best you can hope for in the long run playing single tables. Obviously that drops according to how many tables you have going. The high volume grinders are probably happy with 3%. Clearly playing 10 tables at 3% will make you much more money than playing 1 table at 10%, particularly when you factor in the C4P. You need to experiment to find the optimal number of tables and stake that will make you the most £ per hour.