You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Difference between micro.low, medium and high stakes???

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
I mainly play play up to NL10 cash and £5 or less DYM,s , STT, s or MTT,s or satelites

I very rarely pay above £5 for a game. Its normally because i,ve satelited in if it cost more or ive had a little win

I believe this makes me a micro stakes player but where does the difference come to call yourself a low stakes player ? - and while were on the subject what would you class as a medium stakes and high stakes players?

What do you class yourselves as ? and what games do you play?

Thx
Paul

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Micro the ratio of fish to regs is much higher than med-high limits. Many of the players (even the regs) don't think things through thorougly, and even if they do think, they probably don't do it amazingly and are therefore still prone to many mistakes. Vbet Vbet Vbet and don't bluff.

Medium - much less fish, but still some of course, and a higher % of regs. This is the level where some players are playing for an income and money becomes more serious. £100nl + on sky and $200NL+ on other sites. Regs start to accurately assign ranges to players and play their hand accordingly. Positional play starts to become v.important here

High stakes, esp on Sky, has a v.small player base and therefore there's so much dynamic. Because of this, a lot of them 'bum-hunt' because perhaps they don't see much value in sitting down with a table full of regs. 

Currently I just crush micro's ;-) and am looking forward to soon playing med limits (getting pwned in the process) but most importantly, enjoying it and learning from it.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Difference between micro.low, medium and high stakes???:
    and am looking forward to soon playing med limits (getting pwned in the process) but most importantly, enjoying it and learning from it.
    Posted by percival09
    Cool story bro.

In all seriousness, great post from Perc. As you move up you have to outplay opponents far more, instead of just waiting for hands. At the end of the day, as Poker players, in the long run we're all dealt the same hands, we're all put in the same predicaments: it's how we deal with such scenarios (get away from 'set-up' hands'/get maximum value from other hands) that defines our ability as Poker players. For example, I generally have to be 3x more active in £11 DYMs+ than I do in £5.50 games and below. 

Best of luck anyway.

Patwalshh

(sorry if there are any spelling mistakes/inaccuracies - I wrote this at 4am and after a long night out) 

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Difference between micro.low, medium and high stakes??? : Cool story bro. In all seriousness, great post from Perc. As you move up you have to outplay opponents far more, instead of just waiting for hands. At the end of the day, as Poker players, in the long run we're all dealt the same hands, we're all put in the same predicaments: it's how we deal with such scenarios (get away from 'set-up' hands'/get maximum value from other hands) that defines our ability as Poker players. For example, I generally have to be 3x more active in £11 DYMs+ than I do in £5.50 games and below.  Best of luck anyway. Patwalshh (sorry if there are any spelling mistakes/inaccuracies - I wrote this at 4am and after a long night out) 
    Posted by patwalshh
    Cool story bro.
  • edited November 2012
    Micro the ratio of fish to regs is much higher than med-high limits. Many of the players (even the regs) don't think things through thorougly, and even if they do think, they probably don't do it amazingly and are therefore still prone to many mistakes. Vbet Vbet Vbet and don't bluff. Medium - much less fish, but still some of course, and a higher % of regs. This is the level where some players are playing for an income and money becomes more serious. £100nl + on sky and $200NL+ on other sites. Regs start to accurately assign ranges to players and play their hand accordingly. Positional play starts to become v.important here High stakes, esp on Sky, has a v.small player base and therefore there's so much dynamic. Because of this, a lot of them 'bum-hunt' because perhaps they don't see much value in sitting down with a table full of regs.  Currently I just crush micro's ;-) and am looking forward to soon playing med limits (getting pwned in the process) but most importantly, enjoying it and learning from it.
    Posted by percival09
    Sound advice mate.

However this should be more helpful. 

Micro - Forget about this level there are to many bad players, you need to move up so players respect your raises. 

Medium - At this level you should be focusing on grinding them C4P. At this level you should only 3bet AA/KK maybe AK if your feeling frisky. 

High - Call 100% of 3bets/4bets then proceed to run like GOD on the flop and you should do fine.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Difference between micro.low, medium and high stakes??? : Sound advice mate. However this should be more helpful.  Micro - Forget about this level there are to many bad players, you need to move up so players respect your raises.  Medium - At this level you should be focusing on grinding them C4P. At this level you should only 3bet AA/KK maybe AK if your feeling frisky.  High - Call 100% of 3bets/4bets then proceed to run like GOD on the flop and you should do fine.
    Posted by Curt360x27
    LOL! :) made me smile
  • edited November 2012
    I like bad players - I can win more. I play at £2 levels and I'm in profit so don't put anyone off playing these
    levels just adjust your strategy.

In Response to Re: Difference between micro.low, medium and high stakes??? : Sound advice mate. However this should be more helpful.  Micro - Forget about this level there are to many bad players, you need to move up so players respect your raises.  Medium - At this level you should be focusing on grinding them C4P. At this level you should only 3bet AA/KK maybe AK if your feeling frisky.  High - Call 100% of 3bets/4bets then proceed to run like GOD on the flop and you should do fine.
    Posted by Curt360x27
  • edited November 2012
    I like bad players - I can win more. I play at £2 levels and I'm in profit so don't put anyone off playing these levels just adjust your strategy.  In Response to Re: Difference between micro.low, medium and high stakes??? :
    Posted by tiercel
    in 4 years you have made 27 quid :S . . . .